How do sellers ship for so cheap in Australia ???

How do so many Australian sellers ship for so cheap? They sell items that will not fit in a letter (thicker than 20mm) for way cheaper than the cheapest Australia post contract parcel rates.

For example, search ebay for "USB car charger", select "Australia Only" in location, and there are heaps of people selling chargers (including shipping) between $2.50 and $4.00. HOW DO THEY DO IT?? Do they just sent it in a letter, and hope no one checks it is thicker than 20mm? All those items are way thicker than 20mm
Message 1 of 204
Latest reply
203 REPLIES 203

ecutalk
Community Member

the automatic sorting machines are only used for DL letters (and i think the obviously flat B4? sized large ones, cant remember). Things in padded bags or C5 (half-A4) sized letters arent sent through machines.

So it is possible for items slightly larger than 20mm thick to be sent via letter rates successfully - i personally wouldnt do it though. Car chargers, depending on the type, are around 20-22mm in diameter for the main body, so depending on how 'fat' the external lip is, might only be around 22-25mm, and so might get through as letter rate, undetected.

Message 11 of 204
Latest reply

Hello every one, I was also looking for an answer to this question but i am still unable to find an answer,

dropship is out of question! Thats because these products arrive within a week of purchase!!! 

We have Australian sellers who sells earphones for only $AUD3.50 from australia and offer free shipping!

the same product is offered at $USD3.50 with free shiping! 

Message 12 of 204
Latest reply

I'm sure sydney will be happy to know that, if he's still around after 19 MONTHS!

And earbuds are a bit thinner than car chargers.

Message 13 of 204
Latest reply

There is a way use those self check outs at Australia Post it will calculate the best shipping price to anywhere in the country.

Message 14 of 204
Latest reply

I bought a USB led lamp for AUS$ 2.99 - with free shipping. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140698344763?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 Got the items a short time later. Yes, I said 'items' because I was surprised to get two working lamps instead of just one. I decided it might be worth trying my luck putting up the second piece for sale on eBay but I was told at the post office that the shipping cost alone would be AUS$ 7! How do they do this? I don't think this relates to the loss leader idea because no seller can afford to lose AUS$4 for every transaction just to get a good rating or a chance to get buyers to look at other items in their catalogue.
Message 15 of 204
Latest reply

@nilan1969 wrote:
I bought a USB led lamp for AUS$ 2.99 - with free shipping. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140698344763?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 Got the items a short time later. Yes, I said 'items' because I was surprised to get two working lamps instead of just one. I decided it might be worth trying my luck putting up the second piece for sale on eBay but I was told at the post office that the shipping cost alone would be AUS$ 7! How do they do this? I don't think this relates to the loss leader idea because no seller can afford to lose AUS$4 for every transaction just to get a good rating or a chance to get buyers to look at other items in their catalogue.

Are you sure they weren't drop-shipping from China? The ID would suggest a chinese seller................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 16 of 204
Latest reply

Postage for a large letter under 125gms is $1.40 plus eBay's FVF fee on top of that. Plus cost of an envelope or padded mailer bag.

Doesn't leave much from $2.00

Probably doesn't apply here but some sellers buy 'old' new stamps in bulk (sold on Ebay) at a discounted price.

Buyers have 180 days now, to open a Paypal claim.

Message 17 of 204
Latest reply

Why dont you buy some and see how they arrive? Problem solved.
Message 18 of 204
Latest reply

I just bought a ipod usb charger for $1 INCLUDING SHIPPING about a week ago.... cause i needed one but i was curious how the f$% someone can afford that.

The letter came a few days later with hes ebay logo on the letter and it didnt have a regular stamp you buy from aus post, it was one of those stamps you have to press onto letters with ink.

unless the guy bought the usb cables for minimum less than 10cents each theres no way he would make much profit each, maybe he has a deal with a postal agency i duno, but dont tell me its a dropship this or china that cause it would take way longer ive waited a mth for stuff from china.

heres the usb cable i bought, id love to hear anyone elses thoughts, but shut up with the dropshipping bs its utter stupidity if you think everythings from china, maybe he bought the usbs from china and got them sent here but not dropship.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271637353262?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=570473372729&ssPageName=STR...

Message 19 of 204
Latest reply

one more thing i checked out that LED light, the guys only selling it for 50 cents more than you can buy it in china, so there goes your dropship idea
Message 20 of 204
Latest reply