How do sellers ship for so cheap in Australia ???

How do so many Australian sellers ship for so cheap? They sell items that will not fit in a letter (thicker than 20mm) for way cheaper than the cheapest Australia post contract parcel rates.

For example, search ebay for "USB car charger", select "Australia Only" in location, and there are heaps of people selling chargers (including shipping) between $2.50 and $4.00. HOW DO THEY DO IT?? Do they just sent it in a letter, and hope no one checks it is thicker than 20mm? All those items are way thicker than 20mm
Message 1 of 204
Latest reply
203 REPLIES 203

Not drop-shipping you reckon ?

In amongst all the negs is this little pearler :-

Capture.PNG

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 21 of 204
Latest reply

Oh, did you spot the neg underneath the one I highlighted ?

Yep, one just like yours.................................

Message 22 of 204
Latest reply

@rc-addict-aus wrote:

I just bought a ipod usb charger for $1 INCLUDING SHIPPING about a week ago.... cause i needed one but i was curious how the f$% someone can afford that.

The letter came a few days later with hes ebay logo on the letter and it didnt have a regular stamp you buy from aus post, it was one of those stamps you have to press onto letters with ink.

unless the guy bought the usb cables for minimum less than 10cents each theres no way he would make much profit each, maybe he has a deal with a postal agency i duno, but dont tell me its a dropship this or china that cause it would take way longer ive waited a mth for stuff from china.

heres the usb cable i bought, id love to hear anyone elses thoughts, but shut up with the dropshipping bs its utter stupidity if you think everythings from china, maybe he bought the usbs from china and got them sent here but not dropship.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271637353262?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=570473372729&ssPageName=STR...

It's either a loss leader, best match manipulation or quite possibly both.

After eBay, Paypal and postage costs, they are making a loss regardless of volume (letters don't attract big discounts even for corporations that send thousands of letters per day), and that's disregarding the cost of the item so they are definitely making a loss on that item.

They have sold 345 of them, how many people do you think will have purchased it, or even just looked at it and thought wow that's cheap, might see what else they have for sale? A whole bunch, and many will have purchased higher margin items or even multiples of cheaper items that when consolidated into one letter/parcel go from being a loss leader to a marginal profit item. It's the same as Woolies selling $1 loaves of bread or whatever it is now, they aren't making any money from the bread but they are making money on the other items you pick up once they have you inside their doors. So if they lose $1 on each sale, that's $345 spent on very targeted advertising, obviously money they think is well spent.

Message 23 of 204
Latest reply

maybe they get their work to pay for these, I seen a few peple at work add things to the work mail.

Message 24 of 204
Latest reply

A $1 USB phone charger......I wonder which will short out first, the phone or the computer? Of course it would be 100% compliant with Australian standards..........yeah right!

Message 25 of 204
Latest reply

@i-love-my-sheep wrote:

A $1 USB phone charger......I wonder which will short out first, the phone or the computer? Of course it would be 100% compliant with Australian standards..........yeah right!

Murphy's Law says the most expensive of them Sheeps................with just a smallish amount of smoke escaping from the other one.....

Message 26 of 204
Latest reply

One can only pov things down so much. There are some things you shouldn't pov on at all. Didn't a lady die from a faulty charger?

Message 27 of 204
Latest reply

@i-love-my-sheep wrote:

One can only pov things down so much. There are some things you shouldn't pov on at all. Didn't a lady die from a faulty charger?

Yep, they did a major recall of the non-compliant mains chargers from China after that - the local phone shop even got busted big time over it.

The USB ones are only low voltage though, but I think they're still capable of frying delicate electronics if they short out.

Message 28 of 204
Latest reply

That makes sense 🙂

Message 29 of 204
Latest reply

@deba2588 wrote:

That makes sense 🙂

Not really...................

Message 30 of 204
Latest reply