How do they get away with it

I sell not many items on ebay, its just something to do and for a bit of fun.  JUst as well 1600 orders less in the last year.

I usually browse Australia only, buy it now, price and postage lowest.

I noticed that there are alot of listings, especially in the phone cover section that come up as a dollar buy it now.

But when you click to see the sellers advert and then you make your selection from the dropdown boxes for what colour cover you want. THE PRICE IS NOT A DOLLAR, it like $4 or $5 dollars after you make your choice and there is nothing for a dollar.

Its not fair and i see it as cheating. I dont know how ebay can allow it. Most of them have **bleep** feedback and get to the top of the list in the search engine.

It seems that to be a Premium ebay seller means nothing.

Anyway i had my whinge for today.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

There has to be at least one option at a dollar but it is usually the least popular item. It is not against ebay rules if it is somethig like phone covers and all the options are for that item, the ones I find most annoying are the ones for clothes where it says a dress is five dollars but when you look into it that is for a pair of gloves or tights and the dresses are a hundred bucks, that isn't allowed as they are different categories and I have seen them removed after I have reported them.

Obviously they have found it effective but that can only be if buyers purchase from them, personally if they list like that I don't buy even if the option I want is a reasonable price.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

perih60
Community Member

gday i have just come up against the same problem , i noticed that the rating of the powerseller is98.6% , it was just by chance that i saw the price change when i selected , so i went thru all the selections , the increase ranged from $8 to $11 , plain fraud , regards peter

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I've found the same and it is annoying.

We were lookign at cake toppers and some fancy ones in the photo-quite big ones-were listed as large size for about a dollar or two, but once we clicked into the ad, it turned out there was a drop down menu and the one in the description/size that you had been led to think was on sale by the photo and heading, was in fact about $14 or more. It was some other, smaller topper, completely different, that was the cheaper price.

I have no problem with having a drop down menu and differently priced goods, but the heading title should indicate that-such as Variety of cake toppers starting from $2, with maybe a photo of several together as their main photo.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

eBay's system is quite similar to how Android started out, they just keep adding **bleep** on top of the previous **bleep** and eventually it becomes a big lump of cluster mess that makes it very broken and hard to fix.

They have come so far from so long but they really need to start at scratch with a clean state on everything. It can be costly and time consuming but it took a while for Android OS to admit it and do it themselves.

Perhaps eBay have created more workload for themselves and are now suffering because of it. So much broken exploits everywhere that they simply don't have the manpower to fix it unless they start all over again.... or hire extra people to deal with stuff like this

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Yes I find this annoying too, however it is logical. Instead of the seller creating 3 different listngs for 1 item that comes in 3 different quantities, Ebay has allowed sellers to do it all in 1, a time saver no doubt. So even though it is annoying like everything else in life it is cheaper to buy in bulk. So the buyer does get to see what the best option is, and although this is rare for me but the other day I was looking to just spend a $1 on something I need and use a lot of, instead I spent $5 and got a hell of a deal as I was presented with a much better bulk buy option. So it does have benefits to the buyer as well. But if Ebay choose to go back to the old fashion way you would still get the $1 listing  back in your search without the other bulk buy options, which means for some sellers more time consuming with listings and for buyers no option to bulk buy and save $$$.

Although just for a different color or style it should NOT be allowed!!! Should only be used with different quanitites.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply