How long before you call an item lost?

Just curious as to how long people give domestic mail (letter rate, untracked) to arrive before you call it lost?

I mailed an item by large letter on 4 Mar, rural Vic to Darwin, buyer contacts me on 26 Mar to let me know it hasn't arrived. I replied saying let's give it another week and then we'll call it lost and I'll refund.

I figure a month, even on a longer route like this, is plenty of time. Lovely buyer & low-priced item so no big deal really, just curious how long people generally give it from X location to X location before you call it lost in AP's void?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I agree, about twice the normal delivery time.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

A month is ample time.

Your buyer has been very patient to wait that long and as long as there comms between you then 1 month is long enough.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

excellent result plenty of time and you have agreed to give her a refund and she is happy for another week.

have a nice day

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Yes, a month is more than ample really. Thinking further, I probably should've just done the refund on 26 Mar when they contacted me (I'd messaged at the time of sale/post saying the PO advised at least 1-2 weeks, which seemed a long time etc etc and the buuer msg'd back agreeing to let me know when it arrived).

I've recently heard of mail from rural Vic - rural Nsw taking 3 weeks which I found pretty amazing, and I once got a refund myself from a seller in Qld when an item didn't arrive in 3 weeks.... then a week later it showed up! So more messing around to fix that with the seller, although it worked out fine in the end.

It was great of the buyer to continue using msgs rather than opening a case, not all buyers do. Perhaps a good reason to send buyers a short msg when posting, which I sometimes do and sometimes don't. Might make a point of it in future.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

A month is plenty.

The longest known one we have had took 3-weeks to arrive.

By that stage we had already sent out a replacement and that arrived before the original one did.

The buyer was good enough to contact us when the original one arrived and offered to pay.

But we just said no keep it that's OK as a bonus.

They were very appreciative and actually came back to buy more from us. And told their friends to as well.

So we just put it down to a bit of an advertising cost.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I bought a book on here on January 9th.  It arrived on my doorstep last week ..... 21st March ..... some sort of record.  

The packaging was pristine, so it hadn't travelled very far .... must have been sitting at the bottom of the pile somewhere and was finally got to.  It has been returned to the seller, who sent another one out 4 weeks after the first one.

Another time I had an item returned to sender that I'd posted 3 months prior.  The address was correct, as I'd sent a replacement in the meantime. Luckily the buyer was a nice one.....and didn't ping me for postage time.  But heaven only knows where the original one went, it didn't even reach the proper address, just came back to me????? 

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

@elusiveeditions wrote:

Yes, a month is more than ample really. Thinking further, I probably should've just done the refund on 26 Mar when they contacted me (I'd messaged at the time of sale/post saying the PO advised at least 1-2 weeks, which seemed a long time etc etc and the buuer msg'd back agreeing to let me know when it arrived).

I've recently heard of mail from rural Vic - rural Nsw taking 3 weeks which I found pretty amazing, and I once got a refund myself from a seller in Qld when an item didn't arrive in 3 weeks.... then a week later it showed up! So more messing around to fix that with the seller, although it worked out fine in the end.

It was great of the buyer to continue using msgs rather than opening a case, not all buyers do. Perhaps a good reason to send buyers a short msg when posting, which I sometimes do and sometimes don't. Might make a point of it in future.

It takes me on average 3 weeks to get mail from rural NSW to pretty much anywhere in Vic. Has been this way since before Christmas.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

thats a hell of a long time ,what does AP use up your way a donkey and cart

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I bought a book on here on January 9th. It arrived on my doorstep last week ..... 21st March ..... some sort of record.
The packaging was pristine, so it hadn't travelled very far .... must have been sitting at the bottom of the pile somewhere and was finally got to. It has been returned to the seller, who sent another one out 4 weeks after the first one.

sueken, wow, that’s pretty good as a record regardless of where it went to/from.

I guess some mail does genuinely turn up much, much later but generally, best to call it lost after 3 weeks.

It takes me on average 3 weeks to get mail from rural NSW to pretty much anywhere in Vic. Has been this way since before Christmas.

i-love-my-sheep, an elderly relative in rural NSW has had the same problem since about Jan, specifically to rural Vic but elsewhere too. He doesn’t ebay, just sends letters & is getting very frustrated!

Thanks all, I think I’ll go with 3 weeks as the max for standard letters.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply