How to improve eBay.au for sellers

I wanted to start a thread where members could suggest things that would improve the selling experience for sellers.  I want this to be a constructive thread and not one that disintegrates into posters having a go at eachother or denigrating suggestions.

We have all seen the multitude of "negs for buyers" threads and I don't want this thread to get into a to-and-fro between those that are for and against negs for buyers and same old arguments repeated all over again.

Most of the suggestions that get posted have probably been posted before, but probably not on a single thread.  If really good proactive suggestions are made then next time eBay send any of us a survey asking "How can we improve?" then we can list the best ideas that are posted here.

I'll kick it off with the next two posts as I would like each post to contain a single concise suggestion without having to be explained too much. After all . . . . . if it has to be explained in detail then it isn't really a simple idea for improving eBay selling.

Readers can give Kudos to those suggestions that they agree with.

Message 1 of 152
Latest reply
151 REPLIES 151

For books one discount definitely doesn't affect all.

Two books, individually will have to go as a 500g parcel. $7.30 each. Depending on dimensions, those 2 could quite likely fit both fit in a 500g satchel, or in a B1 box, or a 3kg satchel. Different prices, but the best that can be had.

I use the human element - as in I can tell at a glance what the best/cheapest method of postage is. A computer algorithm to achieve the same would cost 6 figures.

Message 41 of 152
Latest reply

@*crikey*mate* wrote:

Dig - it has now been 2 weeks since the eBay 15% off sale, and they still haven't worked out all the stuff ups their system created with that - what hope have we got of them getting anything nmore complicated working well?

but I do disagree with the packaging rewquiremnets - as demonstrated above - the packaging can vary depending on the items selected

ie my statue - needed loads of packaging and space fillers if it were sent on its own, but a lot less if I could fill the gaps with other items - so packaging can be a variable, depending on what is purchased and combined.

might be different for manufacturer packaged items where the items come in a box with all the inserts etc - but it might blow out the costs too

eBay can work perfectly fine if they want it to. They have the resources, they just have to be prepared to use them. 

And as I said, calculated postage based on both weight and volume would be a very welcome option for a lot of sellers. It doesn't have to be over-complicated with what-if's on specific scenarios, a packed weight and volume is a packed weight and volume, then that fits into X, Y or Z. Simple and effective for many, a whole lot better than the rate tables, and others could pass it over if they don't think it would be of benefit.

Message 42 of 152
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

I use the human element - as in I can tell at a glance what the best/cheapest method of postage is. A computer algorithm to achieve the same would cost 6 figures.

A spreadsheet can work out those sorts of calculations. Open Office is free.

Message 43 of 152
Latest reply

Australia Post and other key company courier/delivery reps are invited to host ongoing threads in buying and selling to post on changes, follow up issues etc

Message 44 of 152
Latest reply

bidder/buyer block for non-payers with more than 1 UnPaid Item strike in last 12 months being a default setting on the Sell-an-Item page with sellers being able to opt-out of the setting if they wish.

Message 45 of 152
Latest reply

eBay reviews the "site map" informed by intelligence from general enquiries, discussion boards and answer centre and develops world class web based Help centre that ncludes a phenomenal question and answer database that is accurate and is the envy of other global entities. 

Message 46 of 152
Latest reply

eBay renames the "defect" system and introduces ground breaking performance and seller loyality incentives, the likes that have never been seen before

Message 47 of 152
Latest reply

A visual indication next to transactions if someone is a repeat buyer, and as a related feature, the ability to generate store and customer exclusive coupons.

Message 48 of 152
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

But an algorithm to automatically calculate same doesn't use a spreadsheat. Can't in fact.

I use Open Office. And have no issues with calculating the best postage price for anybody who buys multiples.

Message 49 of 152
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

But an algorithm to automatically calculate same doesn't use a spreadsheat. Can't in fact.

I use Open Office. And have no issues with calculating the best postage price for anybody who buys multiples.

I wasn't saying it would, I'm saying the kind of software to implement that kind of system wouldn't cost thousands. It is super simple mathematics, and I'm really pleased your system works for you, and I get why other people don't think it would work for them, but - and I'm not trying to be rude here - so what?

My suggestion  wasn't for you, or anyone else specifically, it was for the site, and the site (other sellers) would benefit from the suggestion, so I don't really get the reason for all the 'but it wouldn't work for me, or in this scenario, or for that seller'. Robot Frustrated

Message 50 of 152
Latest reply