How to improve eBay.au for sellers

I wanted to start a thread where members could suggest things that would improve the selling experience for sellers.  I want this to be a constructive thread and not one that disintegrates into posters having a go at eachother or denigrating suggestions.

We have all seen the multitude of "negs for buyers" threads and I don't want this thread to get into a to-and-fro between those that are for and against negs for buyers and same old arguments repeated all over again.

Most of the suggestions that get posted have probably been posted before, but probably not on a single thread.  If really good proactive suggestions are made then next time eBay send any of us a survey asking "How can we improve?" then we can list the best ideas that are posted here.

I'll kick it off with the next two posts as I would like each post to contain a single concise suggestion without having to be explained too much. After all . . . . . if it has to be explained in detail then it isn't really a simple idea for improving eBay selling.

Readers can give Kudos to those suggestions that they agree with.

Message 1 of 152
Latest reply
151 REPLIES 151

An eBay where discussion boards were operated according to a transparent published policy that was regularly updated  to reflect the "rules"  of the day that were in operation.

Message 51 of 152
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

I use the human element - as in I can tell at a glance what the best/cheapest method of postage is. A computer algorithm to achieve the same would cost 6 figures.

A spreadsheet can work out those sorts of calculations. Open Office is free.

But an algorithm to automatically calculate same doesn't use a spreadsheat. Can't in fact.

I use Open Office. And have no issues with calculating the best postage price for anybody who buys multiples.

and the th8ing I like about whatever method it is that you use is that you can say to me

"ok, one more book and that will probably fill the 3kg satchel - so pick one more book and we will see if I can include it at no extra cost, meaning you get free post on it after that, we move into the next postage category" iykwim

I like that I have that flexibility, (plus it probably helps sellers as it may persuade buyers to increase their spending) and don't just have to buy x amount of books and have the postage price a mystery until I'm done, not knowing if I could have got more bang for buck in that package or if I had have chosen one less book (or a lighter book even) I could have stayed in a lowew post cost category

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 52 of 152
Latest reply

Thanks to all that have posted so far.  I have read some really good suggestions here.  I went though and marked many as "solutions" based on the number of Kudos (and my own thoughts on whether a post should be marked as a solution).

I will probably post again on this thread tonight and put a summary of the great ideas so far (with reference to post numbers).  I will also cut and paste that summary post into a word document and next time I get an email from eBay asking for my opinions/thoughts I will be able to cut and paste some great ideas.

Message 53 of 152
Latest reply

Thanks this is a great topic.

One thing we would LOVE is the ability to see repeat customers/shoppers automatically!

So, perhaps if they have already bought say once in the last 12 months this information would be either able to be viewed with the click of a key, or their id would automatically pop up when checkout is happening. This could then lead to some questions being viewed by the seller, say " would you like to make a special offer to this repeat customer?" If yes it then could have some options for the seller to choose from, or they could set up their own parameters, like free post, (we don't currently use free post) special reduced post offer, discount on items, or add a voucher for next purchases. There are probably many different permetations that could be put together and used.

This might help with getting and keeping return customers, and save "de leetle grey memory cells".  

Just a thought to throw into the mix, and is a particular bugbear of ours.  

Message 54 of 152
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

I would like a non-payment = non-buying option.

Most of my items are one-offs for me. So a NPB puts my stuff out of circulation for at least 8 days. More really, but that's the OCD.

I don't think the current system is adequate as it only allows Paypal as the payment method. Not every buyer uses Paypal, and it should be simple enough to set the cart up so no-pay = no-buy.

I'd be particularly in favour of this. I sell ski wear, and an item being out of the listings for 2 weeks in what is already a short season, is a real pain in  the behind.

Marina.

Message 55 of 152
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:
First time buyers should have to complete a short online tutorial before they can buy their first item. Covering topics like :Feedback - pos, neut & neg explained. Contact seller first if problem with item received. Also not to buy an item unless they are 100% sure they want it and can pay for it

One for first time sellers as well... Too many sellers still put ' I am not responsible for the parcel once it is posted' or similar, which contravenes eBays rules,.

I'd also like buyers to be made to contact a seller before grey or red dotting - I sell clothing and always quote the manufacturer's sizing, supply copious measurements, amd implore people to check the measurements before buying. To cop a feedback saying that the sizing was wrong because someone can't be bothered reading or measuring, or doesn't own a tape measure or know how to use one (why are they buying clothes on line?),  is very upsetting to say the least.

If I bought something from Myer, wasn't happy and stood on their footpath with a sign saying "Myer sell rubbish", I'd be arrested and sued!

Here endeth the rant.

Marina.

Message 56 of 152
Latest reply

Hi slr, great idea for a thread like this to be posted.

I'm a buyer only at the moment - not sure if I want to start selling just yet with all the pitfalls out there, but maybe in the future I will.

I hope that some of the ideas put forward here will be implemented in the not too distant future, to me one of the biggest problems appears to be NPB's and the ease at which the buyers can circumvent the strikes.

I'll put in some kudos on the ones that I feel need to be addressed as a matter of priority by eBay, to make both buying and selling fairer  to everyone.

Again, well done............. 

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 57 of 152
Latest reply

A broader range of store packages are offered with some including the 40 free auction listings

I don't want to run multiple non-store ids to access these - I would like my listings consolidated in stores

Message 58 of 152
Latest reply

Buyer restrictions on bidding and buying, when they have unpaid disputes currently open

Message 59 of 152
Latest reply

Trust and safety reporting process is signficantly improved,

including making it easier to report bulk listings that a single seller has that appear to breach policy

AND

making it easier to report bulk listings that appear to be breaching the same policy ie. rainbow rose seeds

Message 60 of 152
Latest reply