How to improve eBay.au for sellers

I wanted to start a thread where members could suggest things that would improve the selling experience for sellers.  I want this to be a constructive thread and not one that disintegrates into posters having a go at eachother or denigrating suggestions.

We have all seen the multitude of "negs for buyers" threads and I don't want this thread to get into a to-and-fro between those that are for and against negs for buyers and same old arguments repeated all over again.

Most of the suggestions that get posted have probably been posted before, but probably not on a single thread.  If really good proactive suggestions are made then next time eBay send any of us a survey asking "How can we improve?" then we can list the best ideas that are posted here.

I'll kick it off with the next two posts as I would like each post to contain a single concise suggestion without having to be explained too much. After all . . . . . if it has to be explained in detail then it isn't really a simple idea for improving eBay selling.

Readers can give Kudos to those suggestions that they agree with.

Message 1 of 152
Latest reply
151 REPLIES 151

I see a lot of the comments here are in regard to combined postage.

Really, eBay already has that covered by the "request an invoice" feature and you only pay FVF's on the invoiced amount..

My only real concern is that it isn't implemented particularly well so buyers find it difficult to use.

Also, a seller should be able to easily remove items from a cart (with buyer agreement) if combined postage doesn't work out.

At the moment this can only be accomplished through the transaction centre.

A simple automated system attached to the invoice should be available to send a no fault cancel item request to a buyer.

I'm very much in favour of a newbie tutorial for buyers (and sellers too).

I also wouldn't mind seeing a 3 strikes policy or similar for chronic non-payers as there have been quite a few lately.

(Most seem to be newbies so see above).

Also, on the subject of non-payment, I don't see why eBay can't just add the time the item was "off the shelf" to the listing period and then resume the listing once the case is over.

We shouldn't have to pay for a reinsertion!

I see an earlier poster was concerned about "off shelf time".

Why not allow a listing to run until payment is made but queue other potential buyers?

ie with a message along the lines of:

"This item has sold but has not yet been payed for.

Register your interest with the seller to know when another is available."

This could work like an automated second chance offer.

I've got a bit more on the wish list too!

Message 61 of 152
Latest reply

Bring back Hijack-Hunters thread.

Although this helps buyers, sellers benefit from buyers not getting ripped off and leaving eBay for good.

Message 62 of 152
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

Bring back Hijack-Hunters thread.

100% behind you on this one.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 63 of 152
Latest reply

The ability to deactivate an individual listing without ending it, so that it cannot be seen in search results or purchased from, but when reactivated, all sales history, rankings etc is not lost, plus an option to automatically put a listing in 'deactivate' mode if stock sells out, rather than ending it.

Message 64 of 152
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:
First time buyers should have to complete a short online tutorial before they can buy their first item. Covering topics like :Feedback - pos, neut & neg explained. Contact seller first if problem with item received. Also not to buy an item unless they are 100% sure they want it and can pay for it

following on from this great suggestion . . . . . eBay could give new members a discount on their first purchase if they complete the short online tutorial . . . . . after all, they have run Big Sundays, why not do something to encourage new members to buy on eBay. 

Message 65 of 152
Latest reply

The ability to deactivate an individual listing without ending it, so that it cannot be seen in search results or purchased from, but when reactivated, all sales history, rankings etc is not lost, plus an option to automatically put a listing in 'deactivate' mode if stock sells out, rather than ending it.

DG - an out of stock control feature is now available for GTC listings through various listing tools such as frooition. Basically the listing stays live whether or not there is current stock available until the seller manually ends the listing

As it is now available through other listing tools I imagine it will be rolled out to all eventually.

Message 66 of 152
Latest reply

@jensmanchester wrote:

DG - an out of stock control feature is now available for GTC listings through various listing tools such as frooition. Basically the listing stays live whether or not there is current stock available until the seller manually ends the listing

As it is now available through other listing tools I imagine it will be rolled out to all eventually.

Nifty! Thanks - looking into it now. Heart

Message 67 of 152
Latest reply

A small thing, eBay have "Trust and Safety" but is there actually anyone there????

I tend to doubt it after reporting bidders/sellers,(by phone not email), and seeing no action at all taken.

I honestly do not think eBay is going to change any time soon to rectify very obvious problems on their selling/buying platform.

JMHO.............

Message 68 of 152
Latest reply

Hey slr, sorry about the rant,

My bit is make T & S somehow accountable.

Stop the scammers, stop the non-payers and stop the highjackers................

Nuff said................ 

Message 69 of 152
Latest reply

@padi.0409.0409 wrote:

Hey slr, sorry about the rant,

My bit is make T & S somehow accountable.

no need for apologies . . . . . a safer trading environment is good for sellers and buyers.  An ineffective T&S is bad for all, including eBay

Message 70 of 152
Latest reply