How to organise Shipping and Packing?

Hi, so I want to open an ebay business,
Could you please explain how to organize shipping so I dont have to go to post office every time someone orders $2 toy?
Maybe local post-offices have a stock and will send as soon as I recieve the payment? Something like that?
Thank you

Message 1 of 48
Latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Your post isn't making a lot of sense. Are you wanting to sell items from a post office? As in, buyer buys the item, you go to the post office and buy said item and post it?

If you were wondering how to calculate postage, you need to know how you are going to post the items you want to sell. If they are small items under 500g they will cost the same to post anywhere in Australia if the box is under a certain size. If they are over 500g then the postage is different for each state. If they are non breakbale items, like a soft toy, you can send them in a satchel, there are 3 sizes, which are flat rate to anywhere in Australia.

Your best bet would be to look at the postage calculater on the Aust Post website when creating your listings to get an idea.

Message 2 of 48
Latest reply

You need to keep your stock at your place and pack them when someone orders one.  If you anticipate lots of one-item sales then you can spend your time pre-packing them while watching TV at night, so you save time when someone buys one.  Just slap on the address label and go to the post office.

You can even get a statement form from the post office to apply your own tracking stickers and state how many you're sending within different weight ranges, and it's all done within a single transaction.  Very quick.

You don't have to go to the post office every time you make a sale.  You go two or three times a week and send them in batches.  Adjust your "handling time" to match (I have mine set at 5 days to account for postal delays also) but always go within 2 business days with most sales.  I time my post office visits with when I go grocery shopping during my lunch break, so I am maximising my time efficiency.

Message 3 of 48
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Your local post office will not keep your stock and pack it for you.

If you don't want to do your own packing and shipping you need to find a supplier who will drop ship for you.

It is a system that is filled with problems and you will probably find your selling career is very short lived, especially if you sell low value items that buyers can get from China at an even lower cost.

Message 4 of 48
Latest reply

so you want to start a business where people buy your 'items' but you dont do any work.

they see your item, buy it, pay you.

but some imaginary packing person at the post office has all your items ready to be packed and posted, just waiting for you to let them know where to send the item.

if you ever get this idea to the point of working in the real world come back and tell us all, we all want a business just like it.

Message 5 of 48
Latest reply

What you're talking about is called warehouse distribution. The costs involved are unlikely to be viable for $2 items, especially for a start up, but if you google the term you'll find some companies who do that sort of thing.
Message 6 of 48
Latest reply

If youu use click & send and pay extra Aus Post will pick up your parcels from your home or business address. As it is not the cheapest way to post anyway by the time you added the extra you ould probably be paying ebay mre thann you were making.  I go to the PO once a day which has always been good enough for my buyers.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 48
Latest reply

Could you please explain how to organize shipping so I dont have to go to post office every time someone orders $2 toy?
Maybe local post-offices have a stock and will send as soon as I recieve the payment? Something like that?
Thank you

---------------------------------------

Been a while since we sold as a small type of business so someone may need to correct me here if I have it wrong. My understanding is that nowadays a fair few things can be accessed & printed at home. Postage stickers and so on.

But most likely you are still going to need to visit the PO to do the actual posting. Not a separate visit for every purchase, but if I were you, I would be factoring in maybe 3 visits a week. Of course, if you don't have a lot of sales, there may well be times when you are calling into a PO to post one small item.

Message 8 of 48
Latest reply

@2015auismay wrote:

Thank you

If it is a $2 toy (doubt you could make any profit on that) you would not be sending it with tracking which coasts $2.95 so you just pack, label and stick it in a PO box there is no need at all to go to the Post Office. If the items are more expensive and require tracking you can either:

a) queue at the Post Office every day

b) pay $5 an item for AusPost to pick them up from you

c) Use a courier service which is a lot cheaper, faster and picks up from your home for free (yes this will cause the grumpy 4 to say how terrible couriers are and sellers who use them do not get sales but that is just not true)

Message 9 of 48
Latest reply

Why wouldn't a $2 toy get tracking? Only time it might not is if it's sent as a large letter under 20mm. Anything over that is parcel rate, regardless of what the item cost, and if you're going to stick the right amount of stamps on, you may as well just go inside and get a tracking number for it. You're only setting yourself up for disaster if you don't.

I think we're wasting our breath anyway. As usual, someone pops in wanting answers and then never comes back.

Message 10 of 48
Latest reply