How to organise Shipping and Packing?

Hi, so I want to open an ebay business,
Could you please explain how to organize shipping so I dont have to go to post office every time someone orders $2 toy?
Maybe local post-offices have a stock and will send as soon as I recieve the payment? Something like that?
Thank you

Message 1 of 48
Latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Why wouldn't a $2 toy get tracking? Only time it might not is if it's sent as a large letter under 20mm. Anything over that is parcel rate, regardless of what the item cost, and if you're going to stick the right amount of stamps on, you may as well just go inside and get a tracking number for it. You're only setting yourself up for disaster if you don't.

I think we're wasting our breath anyway. As usual, someone pops in wanting answers and then never comes back.

Yes you could add tracking to a $2 toy but I doubt many buyers are going to pay about $6.50 for postage on a $2 item. Saying that imho selling a $2 item on ebay (unless your in china) would not be relaistic and most sellers would not be adding tracking to low cost items, they would be sent as a large letter so there would be no need to go to the post office.

I do not think answering this is a waste of time it is not just about the OP (who may of got the answer they wanted but does not see fit to say thank you) it is also about other people who may read it. I get most of the answer to questions I have from this forum on post written by others I often flick through posts and even get answer to question I never thought of asking 😉

Message 11 of 48
Latest reply

A $2 item will not necessarily be sent as a large letter.   If it is a toy as the OP mentioned then the chances of it being within large letter dimensions are slim to zero.

It is more likely to be of a size that has to be sent as a parcel.

And as a new seller the OP is unlikely to have a turnover that would be high enough for him to obtain good courier rates....for the most part he would be paying maximum rates.

Message 12 of 48
Latest reply

Good luck sending something like a stuffed animal or fake action figure by large letter. Even plastic farm animals would exceed 20mm. 

I agree selling $2 toys would be unrealistic if you want to make any sort of profit. Even if the OP decided to go the courier route, most things are still going to be more than 20mm, therefore would have to be sent as a parcel. 

It's been a long time since I played with toys but I can't think of many that would come in under 20mm with packaging included.

Message 13 of 48
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

A $2 item will not necessarily be sent as a large letter.   If it is a toy as the OP mentioned then the chances of it being within large letter dimensions are slim to zero.

And as a new seller the OP is unlikely to have a turnover that would be high enough for him to obtain good courier rates....for the most part he would be paying maximum rates.

Here's that buyer who like to tell sellers how things are giving wrong infomation once again. You can send 1 item via a courier using sendle (which I have use with great results) pack and send or officeworks mailman (have not used but can not be as bad as AusPost) 

There are many options to send cheaper, faster and more reliable than AusPost and you want have to go to the Post Office please stop giving incorrect infomation everytime I post on this forum

Message 14 of 48
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Good luck sending something like a stuffed animal or fake action figure by large letter. Even plastic farm animals would exceed 20mm. 

I agree selling $2 toys would be unrealistic if you want to make any sort of profit. Even if the OP decided to go the courier route, most things are still going to be more than 20mm, therefore would have to be sent as a parcel. 

It's been a long time since I played with toys but I can't think of many that would come in under 20mm with packaging included.

I will say again an Australian seller would not be selling a $2 teddy bear and posting it, We can talk hypothetical all day. Yes there may be the occasional inexperienced seller who try to sell a $2 and send by parcel but then the advice, they should be getting, is to look at making combinations of toys so the postage is split between them. A seller charging/paying for tracking on a $2 item will not be selling much if anything. 

Message 15 of 48
Latest reply

@247newdeals wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Here's that buyer who like to tell sellers how things are giving wrong infomation once again. You can send 1 item via a courier using sendle (which I have use with great results) pack and send or officeworks mailman (have not used but can not be as bad as AusPost) 

There are many options to send cheaper, faster and more reliable than AusPost and you want have to go to the Post Office please stop giving incorrect infomation everytime I post on this forum

Get over yourself....I have not given wrong information.

Not everyone has access to Sendle and they are essentially a courier broker.  Small time sellers do not have access to the major couriers unless they go through a broker/agent such as Sendle or Temando.  Your advice to "use a courier" is far more misleading than anything I have ever said.

Message 16 of 48
Latest reply

edit

lol posted in the wrong thread

Cat Embarassed

Message 17 of 48
Latest reply

@247newdeals wrote:

a) queue at the Post Office every day

b) pay $5 an item for AusPost to pick them up from you

c) Use a courier service which is a lot cheaper, faster and picks up from your home for free (yes this will cause the grumpy 4 to say how terrible couriers are and sellers who use them do not get sales but that is just not true)

newdeals, I get that you believe couriers are the best thing since sliced bread, but for buyers like myself that live in a rural area and have a PO box it's nigh impossible to buy from sellers that use couriers or want to use the Officeworks facility / Woolworths Click and Collect.

So I will nearly always need to use a seller that doesn't use couriers or is prepared to use AP for me.

That said, in answer to your last statement, then yes of course you could be losing customers like myself but you're never going to know about it, since I've probably used a different seller of the same item that doesn't insist on using couriers.   

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 18 of 48
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@247newdeals wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Get over yourself....I have not given wrong information.

Not everyone has access to Sendle and they are essentially a courier broker.  Small time sellers do not have access to the major couriers unless they go through a broker/agent such as Sendle or Temando.  Your advice to "use a courier" is far more misleading than anything I have ever said.

How about you get over yourself once again more wrong information if you have Internet access (which if your selling on eBay you will have) and 1 parcel to send you can use sendle or one of the many other services available. How about letting people who actually use services give info rather than you just posting what you 'think' is right

Message 19 of 48
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

@247newdeals wrote:

a) queue at the Post Office every day

b) pay $5 an item for AusPost to pick them up from you

c) Use a courier service which is a lot cheaper, faster and picks up from your home for free (yes this will cause the grumpy 4 to say how terrible couriers are and sellers who use them do not get sales but that is just not true)

newdeals, I get that you believe couriers are the best thing since sliced bread, but for buyers like myself that live in a rural area and have a PO box it's nigh impossible to buy from sellers that use couriers or want to use the Officeworks facility / Woolworths Click and Collect.

So I will nearly always need to use a seller that doesn't use couriers or is prepared to use AP for me.

That said, in answer to your last statement, then yes of course you could be losing customers like myself but you're never going to know about it, since I've probably used a different seller of the same item that doesn't insist on using couriers.   

I offer both couriers for free or they can opt for AusPost for an extra $6 and maybe 1 in 100 uses that for most of Australia couriers work extremely well and are a lot cheaper (which is important to a lot of eBay buyers), faster and I have less problems with them. if you want to use a seller who sends by AusPsot fine but the question was hope the OP could stop having to go and queue at the post office and an easy way to do that is use couriers (which work just fine for the majority of buyers)

Message 20 of 48
Latest reply