How to pay for dispute

moto288
Community Member

Hello all,

To keep a long story short. I've sold 2 similar sets of cutleries on ebay to a fraudulent buyer in the US (2 feedbacks, I should have noticed). They filed a non-authentic claim on my items, and the usual story goes, ebay sided with the buyer (despite the items being bought by me personally from the brand store - unfortunately this was years ago and from overseas so I don't have the receipt).

I managed to get ebay to reverse one case so I haven't lost everything. It's been a frustrating and stressful period dealing with ebay on this, and I'm giving up, both happy and sad and I only lost slightly over 1/2 of the money originally.

However, the ebay paying option is convoluted to say the least. Paypal have frozen the funds for the item that I need to refund (so I'm on a negative balance) and ebay is asking me to Pay Now via an ebay page. Obviously my preferred option is to go through Paypal as that means I get the Paypal fees of that transaction back as consolation. However, if I zero out my balance by depositing money into eBay, will eBay know to take money from there?

So the item is $1400, and Paypal withheld $1349 from me (the balance is Paypal fees), so if I can go through Paypal, I pay $51 less.

Could I please ask for some advice how I could go about doing it via Paypal? Saving $51 would help reduce my loss - every little bit counts when you're burned by a scammer.

Thanks so much!

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

How to pay for dispute

If you refund directly via the original payment in Paypal, it will be recognised through eBay. Don't make a "new" transaction in Paypal, find the original payment and refund from there. eBay won't take the money if you refund via PayPal, the system will show the refund if you refund via the original transaction.m(hope that makes sense)

Before refunding, I would be asking how eBay have determined that the item is not genuine and demanding that you want the item returned if having to refund. That is total bs. Can you contact the company of the item and send them photos so that they can confirm the items are genuine? That is a heck of a lot of money to be out of pocket.

Message 2 of 68
Latest reply

How to pay for dispute

I'll also add, even if you refund before you get confirmation from Hermes (I'm assuming from your Solds its was that cutlery set) you could always appeal the decision if you can prove authenticity.

Just curious though, how did you win one case and not the other?

Just a suggestion for future high priced branded items, if possible, try and get a letter of authenticity from the company prior to selling, this might help with any scammers in the future, not to mention the stress. I'd be so upset at losing that much money and the item. They are beautiful looking sets.  Unfortunately online buying has brought out the worst in some people who target the honest! 

Message 3 of 68
Latest reply

How to pay for dispute

I'd be absolutely demanding the return of the "counterfeit" items before you refund, and checking them over very carefully when they arrive - I wouldn't put it past the buyer to keep the genuine set, and send you a cheap counterfeit set!

Make sure that the goods are sent via a fully-trackable service (although nothing fearsomely expensive like International Express), so they don't magically get lost in transit.

If the goods that arrive are the same ones you sent, you're then really only out of pocket to the tune of two lots of postage, rather than $1400 or so dollars.

Message 4 of 68
Latest reply

How to pay for dispute

Thanks for your advice! Yes, lesson learnt and next time I sell a high value item on eBay I'll have to make sure I've got the purchase receipt or some letter proving authenticity. The problem is a lot of my items were bought when we travel overseas years ago and now we are cleaning out things that we don't necessarily need/use, and realise that that we either havne't kept the invoices or they've been taken when we claimed our tax back on the way out of the foreign countries.

I don't seem to have a button to "refund" manually via Paypal anymore. eBay have put a hold on that particular transaction (and a line in Paypal saying buyer's refunded), and my Paypal balance have gone into negative.So technically, eBay's already taken my money from Paypal. They shouldn't claim that I owe them money. Rather, I should be owing Paypal money now, instead of eBay. I may have to call them to see how to resolve that (whether I could just top up my Paypal balance and let eBay and Paypal sort it out between them, as I would've fulfilled my obligation to pay the amount that's been withheld). 

I've asked eBay why one case is reversed and they refused to reverse the other one, the reply was that the reversed one wasn't supposed to be reversed! They also refused to provide me a copy of the so-called "evidence/documentation" that the buyer's supplied. As I know it's definitely genuine, I would want to know what documentation they've provided, whether it's some random letter from a local dodgy shop or just a statutory declaration from the buyer. They refused citing privacy reasons! eBay have admitted over the phone that because they can't physically authenticate it, they'll have to rely on whatever the buyer provides!

Message 5 of 68
Latest reply

How to pay for dispute

Yes, I've emailed Hermes headquarters and they said I could call that particular store (the main one in Paris) and ask for a replacement receipt. That's a lot of hassle. The problem is we don't even remember the date we bought them because it's so many years ago.

Thanks for the comment. Yes, they're beautiful, was reluctant to part with them and ended up with this trouble! Sigh.
Message 6 of 68
Latest reply

How to pay for dispute

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, I've gone past that in the process, and escalated the issue. Very unwise to have done that. eBay ruling in favour of the buyer means that they don't even need to send it back now, as eBay is convinced the goods are "counterfeit" and I shouldn't get them back 😞 Now I know next time, always take a return, and hope I get what I sent back.
Message 7 of 68
Latest reply

How to pay for dispute

Also, if/when you get the package back, check the weight and photograph it before opening it. If it is fake and the weight doesn't match what you sent originally it can be used as proof/evidence. You should also keep the international post declaration as this will have the original weight noted on it.

Message 8 of 68
Latest reply

How to pay for dispute

A lot of people think that once you escalate and ask eBay to step in (me included, before I found out the following) that the buyer is automatically refunded. After a dispute I had where I escalated after speaking on the phone to eBay they told me that the buyer isn't automatically refunded, eBay asks PayPal to put a hold on the funds - which looks like the buyer has been refunded, as I said to eBay CS and they agreed it is quite misleading. They told me the buyer won't actually get access to the funds until the dispute is resolved and closed, or that tracking shows the item has been returned and delivered to the seller.

the problem I can see with your dispute is that you can't generate a return post label via eBay, you would have do it via Click and Send (I've done it this way before) and then upload the tracking number to the dispute.

let us know how you go. I'm crossing my fingers for you. 

Message 9 of 68
Latest reply

How to pay for dispute

The OP cannot generate a return postage label through Australia Post as the buyer is in the USA.....he will have to pay an agreed amount for postage through paypal.

Message 10 of 68
Latest reply