How to report fraudulent buyer?

Have a buyer, purchased a rc traxxas stampede end january 2016.

Anyways, delivery has it as 1st feb.

Just received a chargeback claim via paypal.

No responses thru ebay.

Great, sent the proof of shipping, labels, address dockets, tracking info.

So I'm stuffed by the looks of paypals, mention of credit card provider decides on the chargeback.

And see views and ambiguous mentions of betweent the lines they dont want to protect sellers.

So Paypal allows any old credit card details to be used in a purchase unverified.

And we cant remove that option or the option about credit cards.

So how do we report fraudulant buyers? Yes to the police, but what about ebay n paypal.

Could not navigate to anywhere that did it, links led to useless pages.

Cant put it into feedback on the buyer, or can I edit the original feedback?

How can we block dodgy buyers?(before they rip u off)

How can we block credit card purchases?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Paypal are technically correct, with credit card chargebacks the bank is the one that decides if the buyer was responsible for the purchase (based on the evidence you provide to Paypal and which Paypal in turn provide to the bank).  However, if you sent the item to the address on the Paypal receipt and have tracking showing delivered, you should be covered by Paypal seller protection, even if the bank rules against you.  Paypal may not advertise that fact in their message about the chargeback, but if the case goes against you, ring and insist on the seller protection you are entitled to.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

As long as you sent with suitable tracking and it shows as delivered to the address in Paypal you are covered by seller protection. That is what seller protection is, it protects you against bank chargebacks.

If you have provided Paypal with the tracking information then you should be OK and they should find in your favour. If they don't just give them a call and explain politely that you have provided proof of delivery so should be covered by seller protection.

If they don't find in your favour after that call again and ask to speak to a supervisor, they should sort it out. If they don't keep your cool but calmly tell them if they do not find in your favour you will be putting in a complaint to the FSO.

As Paypal will then be the ones who have to pay the bank back if it is a genuine case of fraudulent card use then it is up to them to report it to the police or whoever else they want to.

No you can not mention anything in feedback, that will just get you into trouble and won't do any good as not many sellers look at buyers feedback even if they bid early so they have the cance.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

There is little you can do to prevent chargebacks. Fact of life with retail business, even in B&M stores.

You can only rely on the tracking/delivery info you say you already have.

PJ and Penny are 100% correct in what they say.

PayPal should cover you against this, but if they don't the rasie a formal complaint with the FOS.

Present your evidence to them and I think you will find their decision will be turned arond quite quickly.

https://www.fos.org.au/

Of course if you have strong reason to believe the buyer is acting fraudulently and you have some evidence to back that claim up then you can report them to the Federal Police via The ACORN.

http://www.acorn.gov.au/

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

So basically, despite everything, we are still totally exposed to credit card fraud just like my B&M store which refused credit cards(over phone and email orders) right up until now thankfully they have to use pin number to access in store so no dodgy signatures. But still no such protection on line with paypal. And we cant disable it. And I always read the recent feedback on buyers. Unfortunately its like mine autofeedback n has to be positive. Sadly I might have to start reversing sales of low feedback buyers and buyers with weird Id's.

Oh joy, does that also make Paypal guilty of facilitating fraud by accepting any old credit card info and not informing

the seller that they were paid by unverified credit card..??

Just an interesting thought.

Yes, will ring police Acorn n any other mob I can.

Probably find delivery address will be a halfway house or something

where the person doesnt exist anymore.

Still with no ability to update feedback with the unauthorised use of credit card info, the next

n next sellers will cop similar results. Just wondering how many others are out there.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Regarding the feedback, that's one reason I don't leave it until the buyer does. You can't take it back! All you can really do is leave a followup reply.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Hi
I have buyer then playing Gift card things with me
How can I report?
Item sold but not received payment!
Buyer is asking gift cards invoices and pics
Plz guide
Thanks
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

This is unlikely to be anything to do with the situation of FOUR years ago.

Cancel the sale. Use 'problem with address'. The 'buyer' is a scammer. Gift cards are not an accepted form of payment for eBay sales.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I hear you. I had a buyer try several ways for a refund. In the end, she broke the item and I had no choice, so I sent shipping labels. She cancelled the order! I sent more from another company. She refused to send them back. When eBay said they needed a tracking number, SHE SET UP A FALSE ACCOUNT WITH FEDEX. I have proof from FedEx.

but eBay STILL refunded her, even though she still has my item! She had NO RIGHT to use my personal details & blocked me on eBay. On the phone, ebay AGREED that she’s a SCAMMER… but still refunded her!

I am now out $600 AND the original item.

can’t even anymore.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@indistarr - Please start your own thread with your issue - no point tacking on to a 6 year old thread. 

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply