How you manage buyers whom continue to bid want combined postage and its been a week since 1st item?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How you manage buyers whom continue to bid want combined postage and its been a week since 1st i

I'm mostly a buyer.

But I have been a seller in the past.

If I were you, I would put clear boundaries in your ads, so buyers know the score. I have seen that in a lot of other ads and it can be done in a very polite way & it isn't offensive if it is a general part of your conditions.

Otherwise you risk being mucked around for weeks and what sometimes happens then is the buyer's sense of urgency or wanting fades away a bit and it is possible you'll end up with no payment at all, especially if the total starts to add up to anything serious.

Firstly though, if you are happy to combine items, say so in your ads but put a time limit on it eg happy to combine items bought within 3 days of each other or a week of each other (or whatever time you fancy). But then add they need to let you know.

I personally would not be happy to wait longer than one week, but that's me. Back in the days we were selling we once waited 5 weeks for someone to pay, but I would not do that now.

Communication is a big factor though. If a buyer keeps in touch and explains what they are doing and has a good track record, you might be willing to be flexible, but even so, set clearly defined completion dates so you both know where you are. You will need to allow a few days after that completion date for payment, but that's it.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: How you manage buyers whom continue to bid want combined postage and its been a week since 1st i

Allow them - they are sales aren't they.

They obviously haven't yet paid - so won't affect your delivery times.

When in doubt - email & ask them to let you know when they will be done.

If you get an answer all good - if not open an UPI case for the one already won - may wake them up.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

I let my buyers buy over a 2 week period.....how long did you give them?
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

I just ask them to let me know when they are finished. If I don't hear anything and no more items have been biddeded (ebay speakSmiley Wink) on I send an invoice with a message to not pay yet if they wish to bid on something else but to let me know either way.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

I have emailed this buyer twice to say that I cannot combine all postage etc due to weight and hope they understand this and still no answer? I am a new store and appreciate your time to answer, thx.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Many sellers state in their listings they will combine purchases up to a week and within the weight criteria for the postage.

Otherwise postage will jump to the next tier.

You could even quote the rates in your listings.

e.g. up to 5 items for 7.60 postage, 5-10 items for 13.60 postage, or whatever.

image host
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

That only works if the items are of similar weights and sizes.

For example - a 450g book can go in a 500g satchel; 2 can go in a 3kg satchel (with minimal saving). But 2 x 225g books can go in a 500g satchel, 1 x 225g plus 1 x 450g can go in a B1 box. The permutations are endless.

Which is why I ask my buyers to wait for an invoice. Which few do. Those that don't then get refunded the excess postage in cash, less all the extra eBay/Paypal fees I have incurred.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Combining/discounting postage can still be done with many items. Combining doesn't mean if it goes over 500g that they only pay what under 500g will be. If they buy 10 items that combined weigh in at 4kg, they are still going to be saving on postage, even if it costs $25 or $30 (just picking numbers).

Most of my items are fragile. If an interstate buyer buys multiples, it will go over 500g. If I can pack into a box that will then fit in a 3 or 5kg satchel, it's still a saving for them. Especially if they live on the opposite side of the country.

Once the buyer has finished buying, package everything up into the box you're going to send it in. Weigh the parcel using digital kitchen scales. Go to the Aust Post website and work out postage using their calculator. When you put in your postcode and the buyers postcode, it will quote you for under 500g. You need to refine it to add your own weight and dimensions. Only then should you send the buyer an invoice. If you can fit everything into a 3 or 5kg satchel, even better. Don't forget when sending the invoice to add 10% of the postage cost to the price, to cover eBay's fees on the postage. You can also add a bit more for packaging if you've had to pay for that too.

If in doubt, take the packed parcel to the post office and ask them to quote you to the buyers postcode. DO NOT send an invoice before you have the correct postage cost. If you under quote, you have to pay the difference. Far better to over quote, you can always refund the difference.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

You could also find out what they are bidding on and offer them a BIN deal on those items to get it all finished quicker.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

I'm mostly a buyer.

But I have been a seller in the past.

If I were you, I would put clear boundaries in your ads, so buyers know the score. I have seen that in a lot of other ads and it can be done in a very polite way & it isn't offensive if it is a general part of your conditions.

Otherwise you risk being mucked around for weeks and what sometimes happens then is the buyer's sense of urgency or wanting fades away a bit and it is possible you'll end up with no payment at all, especially if the total starts to add up to anything serious.

Firstly though, if you are happy to combine items, say so in your ads but put a time limit on it eg happy to combine items bought within 3 days of each other or a week of each other (or whatever time you fancy). But then add they need to let you know.

I personally would not be happy to wait longer than one week, but that's me. Back in the days we were selling we once waited 5 weeks for someone to pay, but I would not do that now.

Communication is a big factor though. If a buyer keeps in touch and explains what they are doing and has a good track record, you might be willing to be flexible, but even so, set clearly defined completion dates so you both know where you are. You will need to allow a few days after that completion date for payment, but that's it.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply