I can't start my business because of the GOVERNMENT!

Hi, I am from Victoria and here on my first post with a problem at hand that I have not been able to find a solution. I have just been working on other sections of the business plans.
Any one have info for someone who is starting from scratch on fortnightly government payments?? I am in a very awkward position and I don't know where to go to make this work.. If I hade the choice j would have a store open now would have all business plans in place you name it to will be done.
I have been to all the .gov websites I understand it but I haven't found the answer and I don't want to screw up my payments. Because it's not like I will be able to live off of eBay profits for the first year who knows..it will all go back into the business for fees stock whatever I need.
Any help that is on topic is very welcome.

Any one with any experience with this sort of situation please do help also anyone with general knowledge in the sector for business and government payments or just a guy or gall with the right info please do contribute ✌️

Sorry it's all messy I hope you can get where I am coming from, it's hard I have this massive rock in my mind blocking my project thoughts and my creativity because I cannot expand on eBay in my situation at this time…
Appreciate all help thanks :J
Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Perfumes  are declared Dangerous Goods

A few hazardous materials may lawfully be transported under certain conditions if they are properly packaged and labelled. Such items may be listed on eBay, provided that the listing contains a clear notice of the hazardous nature of the material, and a description of the planned method of postage that complies with the law.

The only way that one is able to send perfumes in the mail legally with Australia Post is if the sender has entered into a contract with Australia Post for the carriage of dangerous goods. Once the contract with Australia Post is in place, all perfumes are then required to be sent via road only.  

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/Perfumes-are-a-dangerous-good-postage-restrictions-/10000000001392191/g.h...

Message 11 of 56
Latest reply

@digitaltechtronic wrote:
Firstly, thank you all for the information and guidelines. It is good to know there are nice people out there to help. Oh how do I find a moderator to move this topic 😕 sorry I am new on the boards...

Now I just wanted to quote something's quickly before I head out and I will post more soon.
@Chameleon
"The only reason you would do this is if you are an experienced seller with a reasonably large pool of start up capital and you where hoping to "buy" some good feedback scores."
This is what I had planned to get the feedback you see I have sold 9 items not 40 I have purchased I mean I have had 89 transactions total items I don't know a lot but I have spent say $130 and that was an investment to buy feedback basically because I can't list 40 items yet and because of that I can't accept free listing offers. I am stuck selling 10 items.. Also I have a fairly good list of wholesalers that are in Australia and that are overseas however I need an ABN to work with them.

"With over 40 feedbacks, this should not be an issue now. We started a second store a couple of years ago and where selling $3000-$4000 a month with a feedback score of 40." Is that 3-$4000 in profit or net sales? I am a very mathematical person and I evaluate a lot of things before jumping the gun.
Today I am going to go to Centrelink and sit and talk with someone there. I have some small business booklets I got a month ago from this government organised small business bus which has all the government and non gov contacts I need. However I do t know what to ask. I guess I would just tell them my situation yeah?
Again thank you for the support.

Congratulations. Sounds like you have thought things through well. Your plan to "buy" feedback by listing a few cheap items to get your selling limit lifted is a good plan. Your photos and listing layout all look good too.

Our new store was selling $3000-$4000 total, not profit after three months and 40-50 feedbacks. The first month or two where slow and it was not until we got the 40-50 feedbacks that things took off. With this feedback score we where getting International sales, so it seemed to be the magic number.

Our profit margins are quite good and we have a larger more established store which means we clear around $35.00 per hour worked on ebay. The $$$ per hour worked is probably the most important figure as this is what you pay yourself. How you achieve it depends entirely on your product mix, sales price and profit margin. If you are selling cars, you could buy for $8,000, sell for $10,000 ( 25% profit ) and still make good $$$$ per hour.

Part of the secret to making good money is to treat ebay like a job. Go to work in a set room or space at 8.30 am, have set lunch breaks and finish at 5.00 ( or whatever suits you ) This disciplined approach means while you are on ebay you actually work, rather than wasting the day browsing ( some call it looking for stock ) or chatting on the forums    Smiley Wink    .

When listing I have a set minimum target of $1000 per day of listings. If I achieve this very early, I list extra. If it is by mid afternoon, I finish for the day and reward myself with an early minute. If late, I just sit there untill it is done. This helps to motivate me.  Another thing that has helped is to keep systems simple. ( the KISS principle )  Use standardised packing and post systems, simple but effective record keeping for tax or centrelink, and efficient storage systems. Keep answers to messages, brief but polite and automate feedback. ( you can waste a lot of time with long messages and manual feedback )  Basically make things as simple as possible and keep work habits regular and consistent. Just like a real job.

You look to be on the right track, so good luck with it all.

Message 12 of 56
Latest reply

@chuk77
no I dont have copy w for that picture but I had anticipated that I would need to be taking my own photos and such myself when I start an actual business. Not saying it's good to do it now but I just didn't think about it at the time. He item that is marked as 14k Gold .... GF this was sold to me as a 14k gold filled and it is stated in the listing and the title although you seem to have missed it though the price would indicate further investigation.

@imastawka,yes I understand this about perfumes and the packaging I send them in have a declaration that I do not sign for this reason and I won't be pursuing buying and selling dangerous goods.

@charmelion
Thanks for the nice and detailed response you sent I appreciated it a lot.
You have listed some things like making sure I treat it like a job and all the details you have on that and I didn't think of it in this way but I see why you would want to do it this way as to not get distracted and waste time and to also know when you can stop and go and relax or go out and do whatever. Also the other info is great and I will definetly use this thread as a reference if I forget and remember that there was valuable info here which is already in my brain. You have put it into perspective and the lady at Centrelink has too which has now opened up the next lot of questions that need to be answered and I am again assessing how soon I can start but I am going to prolong this until I am sure I will succeed.

@All
I went and spoke with a lady from at Centrelink yesterday and I wish I could have stayed longer however she insisted I must leave.. However she gave me insight into the problems I was facing in my initial post to do with Centrelink and not knowing where to go. She explained that if I can't get into the NEIS (new enterprise incentive scheme) that I would have to start out staying on newstart payments an I could get a loan or build my business up slowly.

With this "building up slowly" if I do fail to meet certain NEIS criteria like, "operate solely within Australia" (the one that does me in). I could claim tax and use this to pay for my eBay fees shop fees(possibly?),my phone bill, new software and a desk, new computer, Internet bills, filing cabinet and all the things that I do need that I can't afford to buy. I know that I would be able to claim tax deductions on the NEIS program I assume, but I am almost certain I won't be accepted unless it's on some special circumstances. I will be going to an info session to find out.

I have here a business plan template from business.gov and I have no idea how I would estimate anything like profits and expected costs. I guess this is where I should start doing the research then hmmm... Should my next step be enrolling into a small business course and should I just start my business fill in the quarterly forms for Centrelink (if I don't make more profit than turnover or losses then I don't lose or receive any deductions from my payments) so I can just keep turning over the money made back into the company on stock and fees then when the business asset is atelier around 50k+ I would get of Centrelink and start paying myself if the hourly rate worked out to be high enough to pay for myself and possible staff. I just realised that when I am on Centrelink as I am using up taxpayers money, would I be able to receive tax deductions like I mentioned above whilst receiving clink and running a business? I suppose you guys won't know arghh so many questions!!!

One last question to do with stores can I open a store and sell small items and report any earnings to clink? I won't be aiming for profits only making sure I cover fees and if I make any money i will report to Centrelink this amount? But what about the ATO would this matter because I am already letting clink know I wouldn't have to let the ATO know? 😮
Message 13 of 56
Latest reply

Not sure you understand.

Perfume IS a dangerous goods and requires a contract with Aust Post and only sent by road.

image host
Message 14 of 56
Latest reply

I dont understand your listing that states '14K Gold Chunky....

If its not 14K Gold, why do you state that it is?

Its 'gold filled'- whatever that means, and you might as well have put 9K Gold or 18K Gold- its not Gold.

Message 15 of 56
Latest reply

@chuk77
no I dont have copy w for that picture but I had anticipated that I would need to be taking my own photos and such myself when I start an actual business. Not saying it's good to do it now but I just didn't think about it at the time. He item that is marked as 14k Gold .... GF this was sold to me as a 14k gold filled and it is stated in the listing and the title although you seem to have missed it though the price would indicate further investigation.

Of course you dont hold the copyright its not your picture. you took someone else picture and used it. Some suppliers allow this but i dont believe that to be the case right now.

You are correct, it is not good do do...ever. Take the time to take your own pictures unless of course you have an agreement with your supplier to use their photo.

You also should not put your watermark on another persons photo.

It does not matter what the item is stamped with or how it was sold to you, you sell fake gold and try and pass it off as real its you that ends up with the defects. It also makes it so much harder for the sellers who do sell real silver and gold jewellery.

also your title: 14K GOLD CHUNKY CHAIN NECKLACE WORD BAD - GANGSTER HIPSTER HIP HOP PEACE PARIS

could be seen as misleading as I stated before, as its not gold at all. item specifics dont always come up using the app so you should be clear and honest in your title. Buyers want a bargain and yes there are some who think they are getting the real deal you dont have it stated in the description at all that its fake gold, only in the item specifics which app users dont see

Message 16 of 56
Latest reply

GF or Gold Filled is much the same as gold plated.....the difference is in the thickness of the gold.  It is definitely NOT the same as solid gold in any way.

The terms are not interchangeable and will surely lead to bad feedback and defects if they are not described properly.

Message 17 of 56
Latest reply

I used to teach the NEIS program occassionally, and Im still involved (for 20 years now -- thats how long its been running).   This would be the best option for you, if youre eligible (its not hard to get into it, youre either eligible and have a viable business, or youre not). 

I can tell you if youre eligible, or if you will be, how the new NEIS program works (it changed this year), how to get into it, what it involves, and how your payments will work while youre in it.

You seemed confused about a few things - firstly, forget the "must be based solely in Australia" thing... what youre doing is fine, however, you need to make your business fit into the NEIS requirements (this is not being dodgy, Ill explain in a message). 

If you want to, message me PRIVATELY and Ill give you some advice there. First message I need to know what benefit youre actually on (newstart?) and what your business involves (ONLY ebay? etc etc).

Message 18 of 56
Latest reply

Red dot coming the OP's way very soon, going to have a lot more more to worry about then.

Message 19 of 56
Latest reply

and yeah... the others are right about the perfume and 'gold fill' stuff...

It doesnt sound like you have any idea what youre doing to be honest, and for that reason you do need to be a little bit careful, or you might screw up your ability to sell on Ebay forever before you even start (let alone possible fines etc outside of Ebay).

Google jargon, postage rules etc, look at competitors listings to see how things are stated etc, before you even start selling something.

Message 20 of 56
Latest reply