I can't start my business because of the GOVERNMENT!

Hi, I am from Victoria and here on my first post with a problem at hand that I have not been able to find a solution. I have just been working on other sections of the business plans.
Any one have info for someone who is starting from scratch on fortnightly government payments?? I am in a very awkward position and I don't know where to go to make this work.. If I hade the choice j would have a store open now would have all business plans in place you name it to will be done.
I have been to all the .gov websites I understand it but I haven't found the answer and I don't want to screw up my payments. Because it's not like I will be able to live off of eBay profits for the first year who knows..it will all go back into the business for fees stock whatever I need.
Any help that is on topic is very welcome.

Any one with any experience with this sort of situation please do help also anyone with general knowledge in the sector for business and government payments or just a guy or gall with the right info please do contribute ✌️

Sorry it's all messy I hope you can get where I am coming from, it's hard I have this massive rock in my mind blocking my project thoughts and my creativity because I cannot expand on eBay in my situation at this time…
Appreciate all help thanks :J
Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

sorry, also, a few bits of info youve been given are completely wrong if youre on NEIS -

You wont need to live off your ebay profits only, for the first 9 months if on NEIS - you will get your regular payment (same as newstart, plus rent assistance - whatever youre getting now), on top of that, you can earn up to DOUBLE your newstart payment, BEFORE your newstart payment is reduced or stopped. (note: the rent assistance part only lasts for the first 6 months, the rest if for 9 months, then its all cut off and youre making money in your business).  This is because new business owners need to build up stock / marketing / general business expenses.

First part of NEIS is CERT III or CERT IV - you dont technically start on the NEIS "program" (or the 9 months of NEIS) until youve finished this certificate. The certificate will go for a couple of months prior to the main NEIS part (which is actually just ongoing support plus different payment plan as above).

The cert is to help you build a GOOD working, viable business plan. They are usually pretty strict with it, and they make you accountable. So, by the time youve finished with the Cert, you will know exactly how much youre going to earn each month, expenses and profit, for the next 2 years (or damn close to it). you will have a full working business plan, all financial tables, etc etc etc. They help you through this.

DO NOT submit financials to ANYONE or start your business before going on NEIS. If you do, you will be ineligible. If your business is Ebay based, and you have already started selling on Ebay, make sure to keep it very small (or stop now), dont use the same business name for NEIS, and dont tell Centrelink youre running a business - just report the income as a hobby. Youre allowed to have a hobby that youre turning into a business, and youre allowed to do research for your business (which might involve selling on Ebay to "test" or research the market), but you CANNOT be actually running the business, as a business, before you complete the cert III / IV.   If you have a ABN, or business name already, thats ok, but dont use them until youve completed the Cert. (theyll tell you all this in class).

You need to be working on your business a minimum of 30 hours per week - its a full time job. If the NEIS provider or centrelink thinks you arent working hard enough on it, or arent serious, you can be kicked off NEIS... AND forced to pay the payments back to them (yes, Ive seen that happen).

Dont bother asking Centrelink about NEIS - they are pretty useless when it comes to it. Certain job network providers in your area will be contracted to run it. Google who it might be in your area, or walk into a random job net work provider in your area and ask.

If youre worried about not  being able to make enough money in your business before NEIS ends (9 months), dont worry too much right now - thats what the CERT III / IV is for. They will help you through it and develop a viable business plan, that will enable you to be off payments in 9 months. If that doesnt happen, youll be removed from NEIS fairly early.

BTW, just "selling stuff on Ebay" is not a business plan... I also would not rely on Ebay for your sales alone.

Its not really about "I hope I make enough money by 9 nmonths!"... youll either have a viable business plan, or you wont... youll know that in the first few weeks of the Cert, long before youre actually on the NEIS benefits.  

Message 21 of 56
Latest reply

I found myself on C'Link benefits back on 2004. I had a few part time / casual jobs here and there, then I got the job I'm doing now, initially on a casual basis. I never received a full payment as I had to declare to them my husbands part time wage. I had to give them his gross earnings. When I picked up work, I also had to give them my gross earnings, which made it hard working shift work with penalty rates and my work pay fortnight was different to my Centrelink fortnight. I could be wrong, but if you're selling on eBay, you'd probably have to give them your gross earnings and claim fees and whatnot back on your tax.

As for opening a store, I wouldn't be doing that any time soon. There is no point having 200 free buy it now listings every month if you can only list 10 items. You'd be throwing your money away. You can request a selling limit increase. About half way down your selling page where your listing limit is, should be a link to increase your limit. You may at least be able to get it increased to 30 by using that link. You can also call eBay on the phone and request a limit increase, but you can only do it once a month. A newer member on the forums who has only just started selling, has less than 10 feedback and has a selling limit of 100. They got that by calling eBay (I can't remember which new member it is at the moment!).

Re the perfumes, you actually need a dangerous goods licence to sell and post perfume. If you are long term unemployed (more than 12 months), ask Centrelink to put you through the course. That way you can legally sell the perfumes. I was actually on benefits for around 20 months and in the last 8 months, I took every course I could and ended up with all sorts of cards and certificates. I got OHS green card, RSA, RSG, food handling, forklift ticket and several others. I had signed up to get a HC truck licence, a red and blue card and something else, but got full time work before the courses started, so I cancelled. None of those tickets applied to my professional experience, but I was at the stage I was willing to try something new and do anything to get a job.

Before you consider opening a store, ask yourself if you want to still list items as auctions. Unless you sell in the collectable category, you will be charged for auctions if you have a store. I have 2 accounts, am a long term seller with high feedback and have never had a store. My items sell much better at auction. I really depends on what you plan to sell.

As for what to sell, do what you're doing and try a few different things. Find out what sells best and for the highest price. I chopped and changed quite a few times before I found my niche. I can now buy items for less than $1 and sell them for an average of $20. Sometimes they will sell much higher. Recently, a 90c item sold for nearly $90.

Now, forgive me if I'm out of line, but I'm going to pick your listings to bits. You have way, way too much garb at the bottom. Call them conditions. In the postage section you say that you will post to the eBay address. You should ALWAYS post to the PayPal address or you will lose your seller protection. Quite often the eBay address and PayPal address are different. Someone may decide they want the item posted to a different address, e.g their work, so will change it in PayPal before payment to reflect that. You MUST post to that address.

In your return policy, you state that buyers are responsible for return postage. That only applies for change of mind returns. If the item arrives broken or it's not as described, then you are responsible for return shipping if you want the item back.

You emphasise (twice) that you will leave POSITIVE feedback after payment. You can only leave positive feedback for buyers, so mentioning that is a bit pointless, especially mentioning it twice. You really don't need to mention about leaving feedback. Buyers just assume that you'll leave it.

You could condense your "about us" down quite a lot. Most buyers will not read what you have written, there is far too much and most will just hit the back button. All you really need to say is, please contact us before leaving negative feedback as all problems can be fixed. You can also mention that items will be posted in 1-2 business days via Australia post. You could leave the postage section as is.

The return policy can be removed from your listings and added to the return policy section when you create the listing. That will show under the postage tab in the listing, rather than fill up the description area. Most of what is under the "about us" heading towards the bottom could be removed, especially the bit about leaving 5 star positive feedback. Buyers will do what they like and some will see that as an invitation to do the opposite.....because they can. I would leave point 3. in that section and remove the rest.

I'd remove the reinforcement about the negative feedback. You've already mentioned all that up the top. No need to say it twice, it sounds desperate.

Under the "notice" heading, I'd leave the bit about the different monitor settings, as that can cover you when someone says the colour is different. The bit about having problems, I'd change that to something like "if you have an issue with your purchase, please contact us immediately via eBay message. We will endevour to reply to you within 24 hours, except weekends and public holidays" and remove the rest.

In regards to descriptions, be very thorough with them. Always take your own photos so buyers know that you actually have the item and they can see exactly what they are getting. If something has a tiny scratch, mention it. If something has a tiny floor, mention it. Mention absolutely everything and more. Buyers are very quick to demand refunds because they put something under a microscope and see a tiny nick and think it's the end of the world. Take photos from every angle. You don't have to post all the photos, but take as many as you can in case you need to fight a not as described dispute.

In the case of the BAD necklace, you need to write more in the description than just that the package contains 1 bad necklace. Some versions of the app don't show items specifics, so you can put what's in the specifics in the description. An example could be:

Brand new, gold filled/plated BAD necklace. The chain length is 44cm and the word 7cm. The "word" is filled with clear crystals to give it that extra pizzaz and look great when the light is shining on them. The chain is 14K gold plated over an alloy metal. This would look great with a black summer dress.

Then add anything else you think that could make it stand out to the buyer that they can't live without this item. You want to sell the item, not just advertise it. You want to catch the buyers eye.

I'm sorry my post went on for so long! You seem to know what you want, it's just a matter of now achieving it. It's great you want to get out there and have a go. There's a lot of very experienced sellers here who are more than happy to answer questions, as you've already seen. Even if it's just about creating or fixing listings. Take their advice and suggestions, they know what they are talking about. Most of us made lots of mistakes when first starting out and had to learn from those mistakes. You have the opportunity to get it right from the start.

Good luck with it all!

Edited to add: Even though you want to start a business, DO NOT make your eBay account a business account. While getting established and not having much of a selling limit, if you change to a business account, you lose the 3 free relists. I think there are a few other things you lose too. There is no need to ever change it to business, even when you are established.

Message 22 of 56
Latest reply

Firstly, you should consult an accountant, in fact its probably unfortunate you didnt do so before you got your ABN- they will tell you the difference between what the ATO want and what information Centrelink want from you - it is different. Also they will tell you about the GST, the difference between a hobby and a business and probably tell you a few things that may please you and possibly also send you into despair. Also the implications of being a sole trader or a partnership etc.You will need all the help you can use to make a go of business at present - especially if you just rely on eBay.

Message 23 of 56
Latest reply

What I read was that when sent I must not sign the deceleration for Aus post to carry items by air. This is on the prepaid ($7.45 I think) Aust post satchels. It also states that if you are sending dangerous goods that you are not to sign. I have had one delivered fine it took a while 10 days from VIC to W.A but I would think that's because of the no air mail.?
Any way I will take your word for it. As I said above I don't plan on selling any more fragrances. Hope this clears it up.
Message 24 of 56
Latest reply

Indeed.

What you read is WRONG.

You need a Dangerous Goods Licence to send dangerous goods.

End of.

It does include instruction on how to package, not just not signing the declaration.

You have been lucky and would be well advised to study and understand the rules (as opposed to 'I read somewhere') before committing to online selling.

Message 25 of 56
Latest reply

@digitaltechtronic wrote:
What I read was that when sent I must not sign the deceleration for Aus post to carry items by air. This is on the prepaid ($7.45 I think) Aust post satchels. It also states that if you are sending dangerous goods that you are not to sign. I have had one delivered fine it took a while 10 days from VIC to W.A but I would think that's because of the no air mail.?
Any way I will take your word for it. As I said above I don't plan on selling any more fragrances. Hope this clears it up.

I can guarantee that you need a Dangerous Goods Licence and a contract with Australia Post to send perfume by mail....and you need to follow the packaging rules that you need to know to get your DGL.  You are not supposed to use satchels for dangerous goods whether you sign the declaration or not.  You are very lucky you perfume only took 10 days to WA...indeed you are lucky it arrived at all.

My authority is 3 members of my family including me having a total of 70+ years in the courier industry.  My OH is currently with StarTrack (owned by Australia Post) and holds a current DGL.

Message 26 of 56
Latest reply

I don't think not signing the declaration is enough. I have had a few things arrive in a satchel. Only one had signed the declaration. One came from WA to NSW and arrived in 4 days. I had another from Tassie that also arrived in 4 days. If they had gone by road it would have taken several weeks.

You NEED a dangerous goods licence! I posted an item the other day in a box I got from Bunnings that previously contained Isopropyl alcohol. The lady at the post office nearly had a fit when she saw the label on it. I assured here that there was definitely no Isopropyl in the box. She said, good, because if there was, you wouldn't be able to post it. I had 4 of those boxes, so the other 3 I wrapped in brown paper so as not to cause any issues at the PO.

Message 27 of 56
Latest reply

but you have one listed. 

I really think you need to do a bit more reading of both ebay and aus post before you find yourself with negs, defects and fines

Message 28 of 56
Latest reply

At which point they may well find themselves banned by eBay, and the alleged Government interference in their business will be irrelevant

Message 29 of 56
Latest reply

Hi, I am from Victoria and here on my first post with a problem at hand that I have not been able to find a solution. I have just been working on other sections of the business plans.
Any one have info for someone who is starting from scratch on fortnightly government payments?? I am in a very awkward position and I don't know where to go to make this work.. If I hade the choice j would have a store open now would have all business plans in place you name it to will be done.
I have been to all the .gov websites I understand it but I haven't found the answer and I don't want to screw up my payments. Because it's not like I will be able to live off of eBay profits for the first year who knows..it will all go back into the business for fees stock whatever I need.
Any help that is on topic is very welcome.

Any one with any experience with this sort of situation please do help also anyone with general knowledge in the sector for business and government payments or just a guy or gall with the right info please do contribute ✌️

Sorry it's all messy I hope you can get where I am coming from, it's hard I have this massive rock in my mind blocking my project thoughts and my creativity because I cannot expand on eBay in my situation at this time…
Appreciate all help thanks :J

This is very straight forward and not too hard to do.

If handled correctly your Centrelink payments should not be unduly impacted:

1. get an ABN which costs you nothing.

2. Tell Centrelink what you are doing and they will ask you to provide them with a Profit and Loss statement on a monthly basis.

3. Set up a spreadsheet to track ALL your business inputs and income and this will allow you to print out a monthly P&L easily.

(you should probably have a chat with an accountant if you don't understand the allowable tax deductions).

4. After 6 months or a year of doing this Centrelink will no longer require the monthly P&L's but will adjust your payments based on your taxable income for the fin year (as assessed by the ATO).

This is a simplified outline but it covers the main points - the important  thing is to have a chat with Centrelink and they will actually try to be helpful.

If you are on unemployment benefits you may actually have your job search requirements reduced if your business is returning some profit and you should point this out to your employment agency.

One of my sisters works for Centrelink and sees quite a bit of this so they are quite used to it and you don't have to get involved with NEIS or similar if you don't wish to though they can refer you to courses in small business, basic bookkeeping etc.

Bear in mind the fact that eBay are required to remit data to the ATO which is crossmatched with Centrelink.

Message 30 of 56
Latest reply