I'm outta here! Bye bye to all my lovely customers over both my ID's.

Sadly, ebay has put on one too many hobbles on my ability to sell here and keep my sanity. As a seller of second hand and new clothing, I can only imagine the hassles ahead for the brave ones who stay. All the best to you.

I will be listing elsewhere, most of you who leave will probably do the same, I hope we have some success.

I'll keep my eye on things, if ebay recover their senses, I may be back, but I'm not holding my breath!

Sylvia

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

I'll be honest, I think there is a lot of 'the sky is falling' hysteria happening here.

I also sell clothes, and yeah I expect a few more issues, but my profit margin is high enough to handle it. I have my system worked out and, while some sellers would disagree with it, it works well for me. I am working myself up to the expectation I will have to deal with a couple more returns, but generally most people are honest, and I have had very few problems this year since I began selling again.

I've accepted that, as a second-hand seller, and due to the inability of some buyers to read descriptions, I will not be able to keep TRS status month to month (atm I am getting it every second month). I have accepted that it is just part of this type of product, and it doesn't seem to effect my sales much. I post in large letters, so have no tracking, but I have only ever had one item not received issue, and it was genuine. I'm sure I'll get scammed at some point, but like I said, my profit margin is high enough to cop a scammer or two. While there will be an increase, I don't belive they are going to come out in droves.

I think there's a lot of panic about the newest changes alongside resentment from previous ones. But I'm not planning on going anywhere, and I expect my sales will actually increase because of the number clothing sellers shutting shop this weekend (if they actually do it of course). I've had my best month yet this month, and this month I didn't even get a single defect or complaint despite over 100 transactions, which is nice after getting 4 of them the month before. 

Yes, ebay is unfair, and their policies suck, but the fact is, it's this or nothing at all, because nowhere else has the same instant customer base as ebay. I'd rather get something than nothing. 

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

Less competition for those that do stay - positive.

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

just move your store to quicksales I did the ebay alternative 

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

@billexploited wrote:

just move your store to quicksales I did the ebay alternative 

And how much have you sold?

I spent two weeks moving everything over to slowsales a couple of months back. I sold one item. In two months, with 300ish listings, I sold ONE item. Not even close to worth the effort.

Lots of sellers, no buyers. As soon as they do something to actually get buyers interested (or, you know, even knowing who they are) I am all over it! But they seem to have no interest in getting buyers

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

The issue is.. what will make buyers move platforms to QS. It seems eBay gives buyer so much more protection and thus moving to a less safe platform is stupid move for a buyer. QS needs something more to entice buyers to move and buy on their website.

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

lol - Fridays on Ebay are the equivalent to QS. Still can't believe Ebay perform maintenance during most of the day on a Friday. I guess they still consider Australia a backwater market, they don't wanna upset the bigfish market during their peak hours.

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

Eventually competition for eBay will come, but eBay have established such a strong customer base, over decades, on both the buy side and the sell side, that they have a quasi monopoly. The only way to change that situation in the near term is for a collective and committed focus on one other platform. If it s QS, then all sellers should do all their buying and selling in the future on QS (as well as eBay) and they should encourage their friends to do all their buying on QS as well. And they should stick with it for at least 12-24 months regardless of poor sales. Once the buying on QS reaches a "tipping point" then all sellers will view QS as a viable alternative. But wishing buyers to arrive is futile. The action has to come from the sellers. Rather than posting bitter messages on these forums, of which hundreds have been made in past weeks, we could be putting that energy into promoting QS.

If anyone uses facebook to promote their online stores they could use the tools within facebook to promote QS. Also, letting all your friends know about QS and encouraging them to use the platform will help. All apparently small efforts eventually result in large and significant changes. But honestly, sitting around complaining

is really quite pathetic. So is quitting.

If anyone has any other ideas that are constructive it d be great to see them here.

The competition for eBay will, in the long run, be beneficial for them as well. The more people who buy and sell online, the greater is the benefit for all online platforms. It will also encourage eBay to review their business strategy and improve efficiencies in certain areas. The more alternatives for buyers and sellers the better for everyone involved. Buyers, sellers and platforms.

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

I sincerely hope you make heaps of money because you're going to need it to cover eBay's 180 day guarantee policy. Just think about it - you sell an item - you get paid for that item - the buyer gets 180 days to get their money back. In reality anything you sell cannot be counted as a 'positive' sale until 180 days have passed. What business can operate on this basis? How can you buy new stock etc., etc., when you are not sure if the money you are spending on that stock is actually yours? That's the biggest problem I have with the new changes.
Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

This whole notion that the 180 day change will cause every buyer to become a scammer is ridiculous. The average delivery time is less than 2 weeks from the sale unless it s international. If a buyer wanted to scam then they can do so now, with the system setup as it is. I don t see any diffence with the new 180 day rule apart from a little overkill on Paypal s part. There have even been several admissions over the past week or so that in fact it s the decline in sales that is the annoying part and that the changes from eBay and Paypal would be tolerable if sales were buoyant.

So how can we, as a community of sellers, agree on what the alternative selling platform should be? Should it be QS? If we all agree and start to deliver momentum in promoting QS then that will help with the eBay changes. The Paypal changes are irrelevant. There will be one or two scammers here or there but they might get away with it once. Paypal won t jeopardise their franchise by allowing it to be a regular occurrence. They have too much to lose.

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply