ITEMS POSTED AS LARGE LETTERS NO TRACKING

Hello , hope everyone is having a good day , just wanted to ask a question for those sellers that use large letters to post cheap items around $3.95 to $4.95 " free post " included , I have'nt done so for a few years and just recently started to sell items in that format again, it seems that out of every ten or so one person will  claim to have never received it , yes I put do not bend and do not safe drop sticker on it , its really annoying , just recently with this type of listing I have added that free postage is standard and does not include insurance for loss or damage and that I do not refund lost and damaged items by Australia Post , is that ok to write that ? How  does paypal view this ? as proof of posting will be hard to provide as there is no tracking number , thanks in advance , cheers

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Stating I do not refund lost and damaged items by Australia Post means nothing as paypal will refund if you can not provide trackable proof of postage.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Or at least a receipt for the postage from AP with the buyer's postcode on it.

I send 40% of my sales by large letter. None claimed as missing (although 2 were RTS).

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

We send 99% of our items by large letter.

As an estimate we get around 1 in 500 reported lost.

So we never argue, just confirm that the adrress we sent to correct and then resend the item.

Always results in POS FB.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

i send all of my items like this... so far out of 100 i have only has 1 go missing *touch wood*

i asked the buyer to wait a few weeks to make sure which he was happy to do

after 4 weeks he told me it didnt arrive so i issued a refund which he was happy with 

its going to happen every now and again.. you just factor this into your costings

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Thank you everyone for helping , hope you all have a great Easter long weekend , Cheers Mitty

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Hi Mitty,

Sorry, have come in on the tail end of this, but for what it's worth.  I mainly post large letter also and toward the end of last year had an awful time with items going missing.  After a while I worked out it was only items posted in the Local Red Box on the street !  I put in a complaint to Aust. Post and I now drive half an hour each way and only lodge over the counter - have only had one item go missing, which I replaced as soon as the Buyer notified me.  At the time I also spoke to PayPal and they told me (although I have read on here others disagree - they say you must have proof of receipt, but that is not what PayPal told me), that if you can prove you sent the item they will not automatically refund the customer.  It was suggested, if you have the  address details, stamped by the PO and attached to a receipt and use postage labels - not stamps ? (don't really ubderstand what difference that makes), that is sufficient evidence even though it does not have Tracking.  So I just copy & paste a mailing list each day, take it to the PO, they stamp it for me & attach to my receipt and they put labels - not stamps - on the padded envelopes.  PayPals other suggestion was to take photos once you have lodged & the parcel has been stamped, but I thought that was a rather clumsy way of doing it & time consuming for the PO staff, although they told me they have several customers who do actually do it that way.  Sorry, can't tell you if push came to shove whether PayPal would accept it or have a change of heart, because as I said, since doing it this way, I have only had one parcel go astray, but must say, for peace of mind, it was good to be able to show the proof to the Buyer and then just send a replacement.  Hope this all makes sense and is some help,

Good luck and hope you have a great Easter also !

Cheers

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Hi, I also use letter rate for most of my items.

I use stamps, as my local country store is not computerised, so have no option, unless i drive that 1/2hr to town , which is twice a week.

I am finding that AP is very slow in getting these to there destination if VIC, SA, and WA. sometimes up to 3 weeks. I am QLD.

what I also do is take a photo of the parcel before posting with the stamps on, to check that this is the right address.

After i send the photo of parcel, if I have a quirey, their parcel does arrive.

I love sending letter rate, as if its too big for 1 parcel, will do it in 2 and its still cheaper than 1 500grm parcel rate.

I also use the cardboard and bubble wrap envelopes bought here on Ebay as they are cheaper than AP.

PS, I will not be offering Free postage next month, i like to combine postage for my customers. If I get put on the bottom of the list, so be it, I have my returning customers.

also I think DRS on postage time, should be deleted, as its not us taking a long time for deleivery, its AP.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

" . . . . . . also I think DRS on postage time, should be deleted, as its not us taking a long time for deleivery, its AP."

Totally agree !  I know it says words to the effect - 'how long did it take Seller to post' but I don't think many buyers read or consider that, they score on how long it takes to receive.  I did write to eBay and suggest, as they have control of other Feedback Ratings, perhaps they could make it an Automatic 5 stars if the item is posted within 24 or 48 hours of payment, as I always post same or next day, (even if I have to drive half hour there and half hour back for one parcel) and still manage below 5 ratings sometimes, it's very annoying when you know as a Seller you have done your very best and a third party has let you down.  I'm in Qld also and have found WA and NT deliveries are just horrific, I've received deliveries from China quicker !

Must say I have noticed the Registered Large Letters do seem to be delivered quicker for some unknown reason.

And, agree, I do Combined Post too, so no so called Free Post from me either !!  But I have experienced a huge downturn in sales, aah well  . . . . . . I guess they were correct in saying down to the bottom in Search Results

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

I'm in Adelaide....and use prepaid letters & satchels....I find that envelopes can get from here to far north Qld in as little as 2 days (as they go airmail)...but in saying that, I have had 3 x non-receipts this year and all have been to Qld?? I advise the buyer that should the item turn up after going walkabout, to feel free to keep even though I have refunded...small price to pay for 'untracked'
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply