If your dont provide tracking, your days on ebay are numbered.

Australia Post seems to be getting slower and slower in delivering packages. Buyers can leave a defect for late delivery and there is absolutely nothing you can do if you don't provide tracking. Bear in mind that you dont get notified when someone leaves a defect so check your dashboard regularly.

I hear of many sellers who send items by letter post without tracking and I think it will be virtually impossible to avoid getting defects.Too many defects will affect your ability to sell on ebay.

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

What about when a seller provides invalid tracking number,are they trying it on as though they have sent an item with tracking

just to show they have provided it but in reality there is no tracking.

Does ebay view this as proof of tracking?

And when the item doesn't turn up will ebay say hey tracking was provided or see that the tracking was invalid?

Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

I'm pretty sure ebay checks the tracking in the event of a dispute. If no tracking is displayed, you wont be able to dispute a defect.

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

Ebay & Australia Post have done a deal to ensure all items sold on ebay are sent at a higher postage rate- eg tracked, registered or reciepted.

Ebay get a good deal for their Ebay Postage and as their part of the deal they force all sellers to use tracked or eventually they will be defected out. Especially with the slow service now.

Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

@moviemem wrote:

I hear of many sellers who send items by letter post without tracking and I think it will be virtually impossible to avoid getting defects.Too many defects will affect your ability to sell on ebay.

Difficult, but not impossible. I post 99% of my items as letters, only registered for higher value stuff, and my dashboard currently shows 0% late shipments from around 800 transactions.

I have a 2 day handling time, but to be honest I actually think it's my location that helps me more than anything else, as I live in metro SA, meaning I'm not situated somewhere that my packages have to travel from one side of the country to the other if I get a buyer in Perth or Brisbane (I also use priority on all of them). In other words, I attribute the 0% to both luck (in so far as "I'm in SA because that's where I found myself to be" can be considered luck Smiley LOL ) and posting same or next day. 

Late shipments and the effects of too many have changed quite a lot since they were introduced. I remember when it was announced, I was most upset about it (partly because they were first announced in the US, and they were more strict over there). When I figured out the Aus policies (read: actually read) I remember they originally had 5% late shipments would result in eBay changing the postage options you could offer, which could have meant anything.

Last time a checked, it said the threshold was 10% and if you exceed that it may result in eBay restricting the handling time you could have on your listings (as well as loss of TRS, at 5% from memory). 

Now, I dunno about anyone else, but what exactly do eBay think that will acheive? I presume they mean they'll lengthen the minimum handling time a seller can select, so if they have a 1 day handling time and items are frequently 2 days "late", they might make them have a 3 day handling time. They've already lost TRS so that won't matter, and the end result? Buyers will see a more realistic ETA, which says plenty about eBay's ETA and late shipment metric all on its own.

Surely eBay can see that if there's sellers who are actually meeting their handling time but the carrier isn't meeting eBay's ETA (via the volume of tracked shipments), and the solution is to implement a longer handling time so eBay's ETA is both more in line with actual delivery time frames and therefore providing more realistic expectations for buyers, the probem is with eBay and their infernal meddling, not anyone else. 

I do believe this was introduced to get more sellers using tracked postage methods, but it's totally the wrong way to go about it, IMO. 

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

@scrambler3333 wrote:

What about when a seller provides invalid tracking number,are they trying it on as though they have sent an item with tracking

just to show they have provided it but in reality there is no tracking.

Does ebay view this as proof of tracking?

And when the item doesn't turn up will ebay say hey tracking was provided or see that the tracking was invalid?

If I had an issue with an invalid/false tracking number, which went to the level of my putting in a claim, if I could see it was definitely wrong I would insist that eBay/Paypal/the bank DID check it out. Even if that meant a personal call or three. From personal experience Paypal for one does not check them routinely, unless pushed. It could be random, or depend on how a case proceeds...who knows.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

I do believe this was introduced to get more sellers using tracked postage methods, but it's totally the wrong way to go about it, IMO. 

Which of course will increase the FVF's that eBay will collect from the extra postage costs,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

My 12 "carrier reported" defects all came from tracked orders.

My latest, yesterday, from one which sat in a po for a week waiting for collection.

It was lodged over the counter the same day it was paid for.

I just cannot do any better than that.

I can't be bothered contacting ebay. Just wasting my time.

The more I deal with ebay and ap, the more I understsnd how out of touch and disfunctional they are....

Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

@go-tazz wrote:

Which of course will increase the FVF's that eBay will collect from the extra postage costs,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Ah  but maybe that's to make up for the fees lost on friday's due to the techies fiddling with the system and stuffing things up whilst enhancing out eBay experience Taz.................................true.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

Yes, looks like they're fiddling again today too. The usual Friday glitches. That ususally menas that they're 'enhancing our experience' as padi has pointed out.

Message 10 of 37
Latest reply