Interesting segment on The Checkout.....

Watching The Checkout last night and on one of the segments they discussed being automatically "opted in" to things simply because you are using an online service or sign up to an online service.

From the info in the story it was quite apparent that where you are automatically "opted in" to a service or add on without having received clear and obvious communication that you were being opted in and/or where the opt out process is difficult to locate or navigate is illegal and leavs the service provider open for prosecution under the terms of Australian Consumer Law.

C'mon eBay!  Automatically Opt me in to another shady, ill conceived scheme to "improve my eBay experience" at the expense of my rights under Australian Law and I'll have a crack.

(Note:  Yes, I know it'll all be in vain but, it'll hold my urge to torture small furry creatures in check for a while at least)

(The torturing small furry creatures reference is SARCASM for those who will have trouble recognising it).

Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Interesting segment on The Checkout.....

I wouldn't mind betting that eBay would claim to be indemnified by the user agreements we all sign up to on joining eBay, and by their regular announcements on our My eBay pages.

Marina.

Message 2 of 2
Latest reply