Interstate Buyers paid for Pick-up Only items again!

Good Sunday morning, although I am not all too happy 😞

This has happened to me twice recently, and once a couple of years back.  I dont have a lot of items for sale so the number of times this happened just baffled me.

Last month I have a lamp listed as pick-up. It's an antique with glass pendant quite unique, very delicate and hence pick-up only.  No postage or freight options were offered. This person merrily paid me the full sum plus some dollars and cents, no consultation or discussion beforehand whatsoever (How did the person work out the dollar and cent?).  Out of my good nature, I emailed/SMS the person back and forth, and agreed that I wont take responsibility if it got damaged upon arrival. As it turns out, the postage paid to me was not even near what AusPost charged me, let alone my handling cost & hassle... All these wouild be ok as I was happy to see it goes to a good home.  The worst part is I got no response that it had been received, no thanks.  I probably should have left a neg feedback.

This morning it happens again! I was selling a metal item, very heavy and bulky, pick up only. Again, I was paid via PayPal the full price plus some dollars and cents. No consultation or discussion.  How rude can people be?  They are clever enough to work out the dollar and cent, surely they know how to communicate?  

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

You shouldn't have to post it if it is clearly stated pick up only.

I did have a few things listed once with pick up only, but a buyer said that the item showed a postage amount in the listing- very strange as i couldn't see it until she had confirmed to buy it. An ebay glitch i think.

Contact them asking when they would like to pick it up. Even if they don't reply you have that as a record that you tried to contact them to complete the sale. Ebay cannot rule against you when you have pick up only. If they think they are going to lose their money - they will contact you. While you are waiting for them, work out the proper postage, because they will have to pay the extra before you post it.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks for sharing Casbit.  That explains the possible reason why the Buyer has paid.  I just hope they have the courtesy to check with me first.  The item is very heavy and I do not believe the postage paid is sufficient. 

Yes it is possible an eBay glitch.  I thought when I clicked Pick-up Only, it should stand out.  No postage should be seen on my page.  But I cant see my page anymore.....

Sigh, joy of eBay...

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

pumpkin - the listing for the lamp clearly shows you offered postage Australia Wide

If the latest item is the metal skewers they are also showing that you will post Australia Wide.

The cupboard you currently have listed is also showing that you will post Australia Wide so your listings have been incorrectly done if you only want to offer Pick Up.

I would suggest you remove or revise the current listing as if an interstate buyer purchases it they will expect it to be posted to them.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

This is very strange.  I am talking to the buyer now.

As far as I am concerned, when I did the Ad, I chose Pick-up Only.  I have never chosen postage, or 3kg sachel for that matter.  It is well over 3 kg!   It now looks like it is a glitch in eBay system...... yes?

Just to add, I always have in my Description that it is for Pick-up Only, and I named my suburb and state ....

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Your items that are obvious pick ups are showing calculated postage, which means once a buyer puts their postcode in, they get a price. For example, the bookcase that ended on July 17 gives me a postage cost of $23.65 to rural NSW. I'm guessing that's how the buyers have paid a cost for postage. When you create your listings, don't select any postage option apart from pick up only.

I'm assuming this thread is about the skewers? They are showing me a postage cost of $13.40, which is what the buyer probably saw too, so paid it, knowing they would cost double that to post.

The wall cupboard you still have listed is showing me a postage cost of $23.65. I'd be revising that listing and changing the postage options so there is no postage. If there is a postage amount showing and the buyer pays it, you can't turn around and ask for more because it's nowhere near enough to cover what it would cost to send.

In the postage section on your listing there is no mention of pick up only. There is no mention of pick up at all. You have COD marked as a payment option. Cash in Delivery is NOT to same as cash on pick up. I'd remove that as it's a very expensive option and will end up costing you money.

Good luck!

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks for pointing this out to me.  I will need to take it up with eBay. 

Under the "How you'll post it", I have selected "Offer local pick-up only

Also in Description " Doing a big clean-out. Please look at my other ads. Pick up Wishart, Queensland"

So how the sytem then provideds postage is contradictory and absurb. I would not have picked it....

Hope eBay can explain.  Not being a professional eBayer, just trying to recyle stuff...

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Just to add, I always have in my Description that it is for Pick-up Only, and I named my suburb and state ....

The description doesn't say pick up only - it says Pick Up Wishart, Queensland.

As a buyer I would assume that it meant I had the option to pick up if I didn't want the item posted.
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

I just checked on the listing tool and there is no option to select cash on pick up. Under How You'll Post It, did you select Offer Local Pick Up Only? If that's what you've done, may I suggest you change to the advanced listing tool? Go in and revise your item. Up the very top right of the screen is a link to switch to the advanced tool. When the warning box pops up, select switch ("stay" will be the box highlighted).

When it's changed, next to the heading on each section is a link to add or remove options. In the options box, under the Payment heading, tick the pay on pick up option. Under the Postage heading, make sure the option to pick up is ticked. That should be all you need to do in those option, so click save.

Now scroll to the payment section and select the pay on pick up option (and PayPal which you have to offer). Then scroll down to the Add Postage Details section. Under Domestic Postage where the dropdown says "flat: same cost to all buyers", change that to "no postage, local pick up only". Also tick the box under that where it says buyers can pick up from you.

Go back over your listing and see if there are any other changes you may want to make, e.g add extra item specifics. When you're happy, down the bottom of the page is the continue button. The next screen will give you the option to relist 3 times for free, then submit. All done!

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

they have alrady changed it to pick up only 

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply