Is there any way around the 21 Day hold? Different payment methods etc.

I haven't sold on ebay ever since this absolutely horrifying system was put in. It is by far the worst decision ebay has ever made. It is scaring sellers off like crazy such as myself, and it makes for an easy way to get free items if you are a buyer.

As the title says, Is there any way to circumvent this problem? I have only sold around 12 or so very high valued items (Laptops etc.) items on ebay with no troubles. I have gotten positive feedbacks and whatnot with zero negatives or neutrals. Seller stats are above average too. I was considering using bank deposit/direct deposit as a payment method, or cash on delivery/pickup. Is BD/DD affected by the 21 day hold? If that's the case, I won't be selling on here ever again as the only option I would ever be able to use is cash on delivery/pickup.

I did sell when the 21 day hold was in place, but it was only one item. I was shocked to see that my fund were being held. Buyer received it, he was happy and left a positive straight away. Tracking number confirmed that the item was delivered, and guess what? I still had to wait the grueling 21 days! I even phoned them, and nothing. 21 days still!

Of course, this was back in November last year when this terrible policy first came into place.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

@send_me_it wrote:

I haven't sold on ebay ever since this absolutely horrifying system was put in. It is by far the worst decision ebay has ever made. It is scaring sellers off like crazy such as myself, and it makes for an easy way to get free items if you are a buyer.

As the title says, Is there any way to circumvent this problem? I have only sold around 12 or so very high valued items (Laptops etc.) items on ebay with no troubles. I have gotten positive feedbacks and whatnot with zero negatives or neutrals. Seller stats are above average too. I was considering using bank deposit/direct deposit as a payment method, or cash on delivery/pickup. Is BD/DD affected by the 21 day hold? If that's the case, I won't be selling on here ever again as the only option I would ever be able to use is cash on delivery/pickup.

I did sell when the 21 day hold was in place, but it was only one item. I was shocked to see that my fund were being held. Buyer received it, he was happy and left a positive straight away. Tracking number confirmed that the item was delivered, and guess what? I still had to wait the grueling 21 days! I even phoned them, and nothing. 21 days still!

Of course, this was back in November last year when this terrible policy first came into place.

It really is "A bone of Contention" as many posts on the boards have stated. I can't see ebay rebuking it.

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

It's hard for anyone to not hate it, really.

I do hope that the FOS lawsuits will end it once and for all. This 21 day hold is completely unnecessary.
Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

I was at a social gathering with friends recently.  6 of them asked about selling on ebay, they wanted to give it a try.  Explained to them what it involved .... had a long discussion.  Then I remembered that the 21 day hold on funds would apply to them ..... well that put at end to it.

You should have heard the comments .... not the least of which was "criminal".   

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

Oh, gosh. Tell me about it.

That 21 day hold alone is enough to make new sellers turn away without regrets. I used to sell a lot until it came.

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

My son is going overseas on a extended working trip very soon.

He wanted to sell off some of his used gear before he left and asked us about selling on ebay.

We explained the rules as they are these days and about the 21-day funds hold.

He pretty quickly ran to Gumtree (still ebay anyway) and to the local Facebook pages.

Stuff sold & cash in hand. Job done! All too easy really. Just as it once would have been on here.

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

So far, C.O.P is seeming to be the only viable option to avoid this 21 hold. Problem is, it's on pickup. Pickup only is something most buyers dislike as they have to pick up the item, and it pretty much discourages buyers from purchasing the item!

What are the dangers of cash on delivery C.O.D? I know it's expensive, but I have to sell some things ASAP, and I cannot wait 21 freaking days!

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

one problem with c.o.p   paypal must me listed as a payment option ,  you cant put this is the only payment option   you cant tell buyers thisis the onlyb option   sorry

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

Is that true?

Gosh, ebay is a train wreck!
Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

All I did was waited 21 days within 21 days (so like 42 days max), after that the item hold was lifted...

So perhaps you can just wait 42 days so eBay/PayPal will automatically remove the hold on your account.

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply