Is this a scam or is it legit?

chemau0
Community Member

Hi there,

I have recently sold an item and received this message from the buyer (not showing the e-mail in case it is no a scam):

"Hi Mate, Am the winning buyer of your lovely item, I will like you to contact me via xxxx@xxxxx.com so we can sort out postage and delivery method. I will be traveling for a business trip so i will be accessing my email via iphone. Kindly email me as soon as possible via xxxxx@xxxxx.com and use the item number as subject and also send your PayPal email. Awaiting to read from you ASAP. Regards.

Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 09:06:16 -0700"

I answered him with my paypal e-mail and the amount he would need to pay. I sent him an outside e-mail, though, not through ebay (huge mistake here?). After a couple of days he answered me with this e-mail: 

"Hi

Am having some difficulties with my eBay account and i will be making the payment once i have fix it.

Sorry for the inconvenience."

Should I be worried? What can he do with just my e-mail? I have already changed all my passwords, is there anything else I should do?

Thanks a lot in advance!!!!! I'm really worried about these...

Cheers and happy holidays!

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

It is a scam.

Report the messages to ebay and ask if they can cancel the sale for you.

There is no reason they need your paypal details as all they need to do is click on the pay now button.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Unless they have the pass words there is not a lot they can do however now they have your email address make sure the emails that look like ebay or paypal emails are legit and if they ask you to click on a link in the email then do not do so.

If you click on the link you are taken to a page that will ask for your paypal address or ebay ID emails or ID and enter your password.

If you do that then you have just given them info to access your account.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

It is a scam.

Report the messages to ebay and ask if they can cancel the sale for you.

There is no reason they need your paypal details as all they need to do is click on the pay now button.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Can anything happen if someone have my e-mail account? It is the one I use for PayPal and Ebay...

Thanks for answering!!!Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Unless they have the pass words there is not a lot they can do however now they have your email address make sure the emails that look like ebay or paypal emails are legit and if they ask you to click on a link in the email then do not do so.

If you click on the link you are taken to a page that will ask for your paypal address or ebay ID emails or ID and enter your password.

If you do that then you have just given them info to access your account.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Thank you very much for your help!!!

I'm much more relieved now.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

If it is a legit ebay nsg it will be in your ebay inbox.

Do not click on any link in your email account messages.Hover over the email addy info & you may find very weird non ebay results.

I have had several attempts on an old email account with phishing emails about ebay purchases that i know i didn't make.Check the ebay msg inbox to confirm first.

P.S edited to add looks like a scam msg,do not reply by email.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply