Item has come back a return to to sender Unclaimed.

bjlcr
Community Member

An item ha been returned to me unclaimed.The item was bought with postage included...If I send back item who pays postage.I have already paid postage of $7.45..The item was $26 .all up.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

have you contacted the buyer? They should pay postage....
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

I have tried contacting him.He hasn't answered yet.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Was the item addressed correctly ?  Compare the address on the envelope to order details. If so I would be taking a photo or scan of the envelope as protection from an ebay item not recieved case.

Now comes the fun part. You need to contact the buyer and ask them wether the address in order details is their current address. Some people move but forget to update details, relying on sending ebay messages for each purchase to let the seller know. Ebay messages dont always get through.

If the item was a small parcel, the postie may have carded the item as pick up from the buyers local post office. Some buyers get stroppy and just refuse to pick it up. ( they are too busy doing very important stuff you know ). Others may have mobility issues and cant get to the PO easily. People do claim they didnt recieve the card, but most times this is a genuine mistake or just plain b0ll0cks.

It is important to consult with the buyer through this process and offer them a couple of options. If the buyer wants the item re-sent, they should pay the second lot of postage. If they refuse, the seller could keep the item and refund their purchase price minus the original postage cost.

These are the sorts of ebay experiences that can go pear shaped very quickly, resulting in people getting upset over " the principle of the matter ". It pays to try to work with the buyer as much as possible and include plenty of nice, understanding lines in your communications. 

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Sorry answered that from other ID

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

I have sent them a meassge.Telling them that the item has been returned .Waiting for a reply

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

@jjba6541 wrote:

I have tried contacting him.He hasn't answered yet.

Maybe they have a genuine family emergency or health problem . I had this happen with an expensive item once. I just held onto the item for a number of weeks, sending a message every week or so. The guy never answered and there was no activity on his account ( check their selling page and feedback ) . After six weeks I refunded his purchase cost minus original postage cost. Unfortunately he never came back to ebay again.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

I had thought of that.I messaged him at time of sale  and he never answered.Also it's been over a month since it wa posted.It i a wonder he hasn't contacted me.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

I wouldn't bother re-posting it, there's no point.

Send the buyer one more message to say that if you do not hear from them by the 1st of August, you will cancel the order and refund the cost of the item (less postage because that has already been spent).

When you cancel the order, make sure to select "problem with buyers address"

Just remember that cancelled orders can take 10 days to process if the buyer does not respond to it.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

It is important to consult with the buyer through this process and offer them a couple of options. If the buyer wants the item re-sent, they should pay the second lot of postage. If they refuse, the seller could keep the item and refund their purchase price minus the original postage cost.

I think there one more problem. When something is returned back to a sender he/she  is usually asked by Australia Post to pay return postage. I know sometimes they forget to ask it but when they do not they are quite persistent and won't give you your parcel back until you pay to them. I was lucky with one overseas parcel(UK buyer refused to pay taxes and duties) and my LPO just gave it back to me but I had to pay $7.45 for  another local return because they refused to give it back without me paying for return.

So I will be discussing this extra cost with a buyer too. The seller(if they have not made a mistake in the postal address) is not supposed to pay it as it is not their mistake that somebody is too lazy to go to  their LPO to pick it up.

If it is a sender mistake that caused it is not being delivered then the seller should cover both return postage to them and sending it bck to their buyer.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply