Item posted 8 weeks ago and buyer now says have not received

Hi just need some advice- a buyer has contacted me that the fabric that I sent over two months ago has not been received.

No it was not on tracking - the cost of that half the price of the fabric.  I have it marked as sent and sent another item on that day also.

What should I do? Do I have an obligation to refund or replace after all this time? I appreciate any advice you can give.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes I understand your pain and frustration. We have had buyers contact us after 3-months saying they have not received their item.

I think they simply forget they ordered it mostly and when it never shows up it takes some kind of trigger later to remind them of it.

After 60-days tho they are unable to leave any bad feedback for you if they haven't already left feedback.

Like you we also send almost all our items out by standard untracked mail.

So when it happens we ask a few pertinent questions and then just send out a replacement.

Things like please validate your address, check with your neigbours (esp if in a unit address), check at your local PO.

Could someone else in your household have collected it and not told you?

We get about 1 in 1000 of our items reported lost.

Once we send out the replacement item we add a follow-up to the feedback we left them:

"<UID>: Replacement sent for item reported lost in post (date)."

We put the UserID in there so that other sellers can see who they are, otherwise ebay hide the IDs.

This way if they are repeat offenders then a record will be built up on their feedback history.

I would like to see all sellers adopt this as a little bit of community self-protection.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Since you sent with no tracking you have no proof of postage or delivery. So if your buyer opens an item not received case you will lose and eBay will simply refund your buyer out of your funds. Before they open a case to avoid any defect you need to negotiate with your buyer to either refund or to send out a replacement if you have one. Not much option available to you in this case
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

It depends on the buyer.

If they insist that they didn't receive the fabric and put in an INR claim with eBay there's a good chance they'll win the case and you'll have to either resend or offer a refund, and you'll have a strike against you plus the buyer may leave negative feedback.

It might be time for some PR work from you and offer to send a replacement for the fabric that's gone astray. 

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

@charlotterosehelen wrote:

Hi just need some advice- a buyer has contacted me that the fabric that I sent over two months ago has not been received.

No it was not on tracking - the cost of that half the price of the fabric.  I have it marked as sent and sent another item on that day also.

What should I do? Do I have an obligation to refund or replace after all this time? I appreciate any advice you can give.

Under any system you still need to prove you actually sent the item. As I understand it anyway. Whatever ebay or paypal require is secondary, even though they may act outside of the norm, which they often do.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Yes I would try to work it out it is just that after nearly 60 days - how come the buyer did not know? Why did they not contact me earlier and I could have put in a query to APO.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Yes I appreciate that but if I charged for tracking I would not have any sales. I am basically a 'hobby' seller not a big shop so losses are significant. I doubt I would have a sale if Icharged $4.99 for the item and $7.15 for tracking.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Yes I understand your pain and frustration. We have had buyers contact us after 3-months saying they have not received their item.

I think they simply forget they ordered it mostly and when it never shows up it takes some kind of trigger later to remind them of it.

After 60-days tho they are unable to leave any bad feedback for you if they haven't already left feedback.

Like you we also send almost all our items out by standard untracked mail.

So when it happens we ask a few pertinent questions and then just send out a replacement.

Things like please validate your address, check with your neigbours (esp if in a unit address), check at your local PO.

Could someone else in your household have collected it and not told you?

We get about 1 in 1000 of our items reported lost.

Once we send out the replacement item we add a follow-up to the feedback we left them:

"<UID>: Replacement sent for item reported lost in post (date)."

We put the UserID in there so that other sellers can see who they are, otherwise ebay hide the IDs.

This way if they are repeat offenders then a record will be built up on their feedback history.

I would like to see all sellers adopt this as a little bit of community self-protection.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Many thanks that really is a good way to resolve the matter and of course provide info for other sellers if this is not a one off but a repearer.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

Ive forgotten Ive bought things before then two months later realised it hasnt turned up.It does happen.

You can also whack a registered post sticker on things, they are only $3something, cheaper than tracking, and youll still know if it was delivered or not.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I find this very frustrating and sympathise with you.

I have had this happen on two occasions..

The first one ... after about a week of contacting A/Post and worrying .... I sent an email to say I'd exhausted my avenues of searching ....  Reply,   "OH, SORRY, ..... I WAS AWAY FOR A WEEK, AND MY PARTNER HAD PUT IN IN THE CUPBOARD !!!!!"

The second one .... after another exhaustive search ...."OH .... I MADE A MISTAKE ..... THE EMAIL WAS MEANT FOR SOMEONE ELSE"   

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply