Item sold via "Purchase Now" - buyer not responding

ozrock44
Community Member

I recently had an item sell very quickly at the "buy it now" price which ended my auction before anyone had a chance to bid.

The buyer is completely non responsive.  I understand that 4 days is the accepted wait time before I can take the matter further?

I have sent polite reminders each day, just no response at all.  Very odd.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Some people eh?, I don't understand ither, if I buy something I pay within 10 min, and reply to any question asap.
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Four days is the minimum time to open an unpaid item case.

It is very rude not to pay for a BIN straight away and then not communicate afterwards.  Sadly it happens alot.

I do find that contacting buyers to pay - however politely  and justified - doesn't work and can actually delay things.  Some people feel 'hassled' and just dig their heels in.

The strategy I use to nudge things a bit is to send an invoice after two days  - it just looks like ebay sent it so it's not personal.  Then after four or five days (I don't have the automated system on) quietly open a UPI case, ehen close it after 4 days. 

Out of about a dozen or so cases, only one buyer has ever actually paid after opening a UPI.  My theory is that they've already decided not to pay early on.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

thank you for the replies folks.  The main reason I feel frustrated by this is the auction is effectively ended and I can't do anything until quite some time has expired.  Ah well, patience is a virtue for sellers I guess !

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

It is a risk you take if you have a BIN price on an auction, my personal preference is to not mix the two, I list as an auction or I list, on another id, as BIN with Best Offer.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Yes I will certainly be more cautious about using the BIN option in future.  My buyer contacted me with a brief message promising payment, but nothing has come through.  I decided to apply the 4 day wait time from the latest promised payment date (Monday).  

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

The great thing about auctions with a BIN is that the buyers can see how many watchers there are on an item until the first bid.

If I think that item is going to be popular, putting it up for auction with a really high BIN creates more tension, and more likely that there will be a bid.

If a buyer takes the BIN - all the better!

I don't know how many times in the days I used to do alot of auctions, that there would be over 20 watchers at the end of the auction and no bids (which is good for second hand clothes) - all playing chicken.  

Adding a BIN helps alot!

Non-paying buyers are always a risk and frustration, I do agree with that.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Open the unpaid case i had 4 buyers what ask me 10 minutes after to cancel transaction because they can't afford it and one what do not paid $35 for item unpaid case was closed and i still have nice negative from non paying buyer...

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

it is very frustrating when a buy doesn't pay i know, so far i have 2 this week one of them was 3 days ago, i have sent a few messages and even tried cancelling the transactiion and i am just not getting anything back from the buyer at all no response. All of my listing are buy it now listings so why do they purchase them if they have no intention of paying i could be selling to someone else. I think 4 days is to long to be able to open up a case it could sell to someone else in the meann time

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

If all your listings are BIN, would it be worth setting them up so they are pay straight away? I've never done it, but I think it stops the non payers. Thankfully, I only get them once every pancake day.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply