Late Delivery Defect -- Ebay refuse to Remove

On our other seller account a late delivery defect has suddenly appeared from back in October 2015.

This was before the new system came into effect.

This account has slipped back to a 12-monthly review cycle due to the slow sales that has hit everyone.

I requested ebay to remove this defect because of this reason and they refused to because it's more than 90-days since the transaction and they cannot review it. Or so they say. Even tho this system was not official at the time.

I have asked for this to be reviewed by a supervisor. Will see what happens next.

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

I'd say you're just lucky because an awful lot of other post offices don't scan stuff that's put in red boxes, only what they receive over the counter.

Message 11 of 33
Latest reply

Items put in the red boxes do not go into the post office...they are taken directly to the area sorting office.   They are usually not scanned in the sorting office.  If scanning is required you rally should lodge the item over the counter at the PO.

Message 12 of 33
Latest reply

You must be special, because parcels posted in street boxes do not go through the post offices at all, they are sent straight to the nearest sorting centre, sorted and despatched.  They don't scan these parcels, they just process them through and on to the trucks.  When they reach their final destination that is usually the first place they are scanned, as they are loaded into the parcel delivery van.   Our main PO used to be given all the letter post collected from the red boxes and they would stamp them, sort them and load them into the posties bags for delivery each morning, but recent changes to operating procedures mean our general posties no longer work from the main post office, but from the sorting centre on the other side of town, so now we are finding that letters from red boxes are not being stamped either. 

Cheers,

Penny
Message 13 of 33
Latest reply

I'd be interested to hear from others who are posting tracked items into the red boxes, and whether they are also getting scan events within the first 24 hours.

Assuming they get picked up from the red post boxes at 6pm, the scan usually occurs in the early hours of the next morning (usually 1am or 2am) which is less than 12 hours. Scan events also occur between mail centres, and then the usual ready for delivery today message.

For those posting over the counter, what is the next scan event after the post office? If it's when it initially hits the first mail centre, then why would those be scanned at the centre, and not those than come from the red boxes?
Message 14 of 33
Latest reply

@audio-spot wrote:

For those posting over the counter, what is the next scan event after the post office? If it's when it initially hits the first mail centre, then why would those be scanned at the centre, and not those than come from the red boxes?

The next scan event for mine after PO lodgement ("Received by Australia Post") is when they are picked up from the PO ( shows as "Picked up from sender").

Below is an typical ebay sourced scan sequence for my items - I generate the postage labels via ebay which is the "Shipping information received by Australia Post" event.

Delivered

Apr-15-16, 15:33 PM

Awaiting Collection at

Apr-14-16, 10:14 AM

Awaiting Collection at PENNESHAW LPO

Apr-14-16, 10:14 AM

Processed through Australia Post facility

Apr-12-16, 19:27 PM

In transit

Apr-11-16, 17:38 PM

Picked up from sender

Apr-11-16, 16:58 PM

Received by Australia Post

Apr-11-16, 13:02 PM

Shipping information received by Australia Post

Apr-10-16, 12:03 PM

Message 15 of 33
Latest reply

@englishrosegardens wrote:

I'd say you're just lucky because an awful lot of other post offices don't scan stuff that's put in red boxes, only what they receive over the counter.

They do not scan them taking them from red boxes but all parcels taken from red boxes   go to local sorting facility where they  all should be scanned, measured and sorted before transit.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 16 of 33
Latest reply

Yes, that's my point. It is safe to post tracked parcels in the red post boxes. To say that it is not safe because it won't show tracking until the day of delivery is wrong in my experience.

Message 17 of 33
Latest reply

In your experience that may be so, but in many other people's experience, it is not.  It is common knowledge that in most cases parcels lodge in street boxes do not get scanned.  I do not post in street boxes because I have never once sent a parcel that way and received a single scan before the final delivery point.  I know the guy who empties the red boxes in our town, he picks up several times a day, 10am, 2pm and 6pm I think, and says that occasionally the staff at the sorting centre may scan the parcels when he drops them off (usually only at the morning delivery before they get too busy), but more often than not they don't because they just don't have the time given the reduced staffing levels these days.  Certainly the last pickup of the day they are too busy sorting and loading to worry about that, so they just add them to the sorted bins and load them onto the truck.  Chances are when they arrive at the next destination the staff there are in the  same boat, and they don't scan them either.  It's only when they get to the end of the line that they scan them, they have to be scanned at this point so they have a record of what the contractors are given to deliver.

With eBay's new slow postage defects, I can't afford to take the risk.  90% of my items go as large letter and I have had to push out my handling time out just to avoid defects with those, not having a lodgement scan on the 10% that go as parcels means an automatic defect if it isn't received within eBay's ludicrous delivery estimates, and that is just not an option.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 18 of 33
Latest reply

For me, I always lodge over the counter, but I do understand how difficult this may be for people working full time.

The last collection from my local PO is at 5 (although they are open until 5.30) and there is a Red Box outside the PO.  I have on a couple of occasions when I've been running late & missed the 5 o'clock pick up, had my item scanned inside and then put it in the Red Box.  Rarely have any of my items been scanned again before they get to the PO at the receiving end.

I understand most sellers go above and beyond to look after their buyers and post as soon as possible, but for me the really big issue is as clarry pointed out and has been created by eBay themselves :

. . . . . . . .. if an item is delivered outside the ebay estimated date you will be awarded a late delivery defect.

Again without that lodgement scan event inside your handling time you have no defence and ebay will not remove the defect.

I know first hand this is the case.  Long story short, PO scanned an item but the details didn't upload, delivery was never attempted, nor was the item Carded so it sat at PO waiting collection.  (I had msgd my buyer to make sure they were aware of all the Tracking events)  BUT, because they collected outside eBay's estimated dates, I copped a Defect because Tracking indicated I did not post within my Handling time - even though I was able to send eBay a copy of the actual receipt

Believe me, it was an extremely long drawn out battle to have the defect removed and caused me so much angst, frustration & stress, not to mention wasted time. I have always posted same or next day, but have extended my handling time to 2 days now, just to try and cover myself - such a woeful system

Message 19 of 33
Latest reply

parcels when he drops them off (usually only at the morning delivery before they get too busy), but more often than not they don't because they just don't have the time given the reduced staffing levels these days.  Certainly the last pickup of the day they are too busy sorting and loading to worry about that, so they just add them to the sorted bins and load them onto the truck.  Chances are when they arrive at the next destination the staff there are in the  same boat, and they don't scan them either.  It's only when they get to the end of the line that they scan them, they have to be scanned at this point so they have a record of what the contractors are given to deliver.
But this is what I am failing to understand. Why would parcels coming from the post office be different from the red post boxes? If the staff are too busy at each of the mail centres to scan the items, wouldn't there be a proportional amount of parcels lodged at post offices that are also missing scan events?
Whenever I check up on parcels, either the ones I have sent (via the red post boxes) or the ones I am receiving, there is rarely a time when there is not a handful of scan events. If the scanning is hit and miss, like you have suggested, wouldn't I only be seeing the lodgement or the delivery scan on some of those items?

Message 20 of 33
Latest reply