Lay-by / Split Payments

I sell high value hand knotted Moroccan rugs, many of  which are currently beyond the financial means of most people.

I would like to be able to offer potential customers the opportunity to lay-by and pay off over a period of 3 months, with a 30% deposit.

I am about to set up a lay-buy extension on my website linked to Paypal. The results of a facebook survey I have just conducted revealed an overwhelming desire for this.  

Is there a split payment option on eBay Australia? If not, can anyone please advise me how to get around this issue?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Lay-by / Split Payments

Ebay dont offer that service.
Any laybys would have to be between you and your customer, but it would take a lot of trust for your buyer to do so as paypal dont offer any form of protection for multiple payments for one item (layby setup)
I have only been told of a system called "afterpay" it is a layby type system with brand name stores supporting it, but i dont know a lot about it as im just looking into it.
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Lay-by / Split Payments

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

From what I have heard about AfterPay, the business is paid for the items and the buyer has the money taken from their account/credit card in installments.  I have never used it so have no idea of charges involved.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Lay-by / Split Payments

Just a question, the rugs show item location as Morocco, are you dropshipping them from there?  If so I can see possible problems down the track with getting your supplier to on-send the rugs, if anything goes pearshaped there then it will be your account that'll suffer.

Also bear in mind that as a new seller your funds will be put on hold for 21 days until you can either show trcking as delivered or positive feedback from the buyer. Being a new seller of high-priced goods you could easily be the target for scammers as well.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Lay-by / Split Payments

I think you need to read up on ebay policies as some of your listings are at risk of being removed if they are reported.

You say If this rug sells elsewhere during the listing period it will be replaced with another etc.You are not allowed to list items that are available for sale elsewhere. Also if an item has sold then you should end it and list another, not replace it.

You should also remove the part about emailing about wholesale enquiries as that would be viewed by ebay as encouraging sales outside of ebay.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Lay-by / Split Payments

I have a strong business partnership /friendship in Morocco - for 7 years now. 100% trustworthy so now worries there ;-). the rugs are in our own showroom.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Lay-by / Split Payments

Thanks for that. As you can also see I have not used eBay much for trading so don't know the rule book by heart. I will take your advice.
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Lay-by / Split Payments

.....the only other place the rugs can possibly sell is to walk-in customers in our showroom in Marrakech, not another online platform. We are certainly NOT encouraging sales of listed rugs outside of Ebay. However, I will edit the wholesale message out of each listing.
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply