Local Artist in Australia having to compete with 180,000+ paintings from China is this fair trade?

Goto www.ebay.com.au

type in the most popular keyword "art painting"

On the first page search how many paintings from China do you see promoted by ebay , being advertised as "australia ebay" ?

Its 95%- 99% Chinese

Q: when did this happen?

A: 2-3 years ago.

In the last 2-3 years which other website that sell "home crafts" has captialised on ebays failure in this sector?

Ebay unfortunatley you have forgotten its "local talent" that lead the way in Art, not Chinese artists. Chinese artists sell paintings they have been making for 20 years its all the same look and mostly copied.

Your buyers have become bored and are starting to shop eslewhere as they see an endless supply of promoted Chinese artists.

Art is like fashion.

The day has come that customers are looking for different things and more original.

I ask ebay if you want a fair trade in the ebay system why do you promote 99% chinese based art painting in the first keyword search "art painting" on AUSTRALIAN  ebay ????

I am pretty sure this is an unfair trading practice as your "advertising yourself" as Australia ebay.

Dear ebay ditch  the "default button" go back to "Australia only button" in the search of art paintings, you will gain increased local buying activitiy in this sector.

You only have to look at the success of your competior in the art sector who are not promoting chinese artists.

Looking for Australian art paintings in the first pages is like looking for a needle in a haystack

any other local artists feel the same way ?

from a group of local australian artists

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Local Artist in Australia having to compete with 180,000+ paintings from China is this fair trade?

Agreed.

Unfortunately eBay do not contribute to or monitor these forums so your requests will go unheeded.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Its the same in our particular category.

Type in "Baby Headbands" and see how many Oz-based sellers come up in the first 100 results.

It will be very close to ZERO if not ZERO.

We are extremely lucky these days if we get a single item inside the top 100 results.

As far as I'm concerned the default search result should be to show items that are physically located in AU and if a buyer wishes to see the rest of the world then change their default search to just that.

But we see lots of cheating by the Chinese sellers who claim their items are located in Darwin or similar when they are clearly not.

We have complained to ebay.AU about this too but they will do nothing about it as a Chinese registered seller is outside their jurisdiction for action, so all they can do is pass the report onto ebay.CN who will do diddly about it either. So it's a monumental waste of effort to report them.

Like you, I thought this was ebay.AU not ebay.CN.

I am intending to get an audience with my local federal member about this.

I'm guessing it will do no good but give me an opportunity to rant on behalf of Australia small busiess sellers.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

@gumtree.gallery wrote:

Goto www.ebay.com.au

type in the most popular keyword "art painting"

On the first page search how many paintings from China do you see promoted by ebay , being advertised as "australia ebay" ?

Its 95%- 99% Chinese

Q: when did this happen?

A: 2-3 years ago.

In the last 2-3 years which other website that sell "home crafts" has captialised on ebays failure in this sector?

Ebay unfortunatley you have forgotten its "local talent" that lead the way in Art, not Chinese artists. Chinese artists sell paintings they have been making for 20 years its all the same look and mostly copied.

Your buyers have become bored and are starting to shop eslewhere as they see an endless supply of promoted Chinese artists.

Art is like fashion.

The day has come that customers are looking for different things and more original.

I ask ebay if you want a fair trade in the ebay system why do you promote 99% chinese based art painting in the first keyword search "art painting" on AUSTRALIAN  ebay ????

I am pretty sure this is an unfair trading practice as your "advertising yourself" as Australia ebay.

Dear ebay ditch  the "default button" go back to "Australia only button" in the search of art paintings, you will gain increased local buying activitiy in this sector.

You only have to look at the success of your competior in the art sector who are not promoting chinese artists.

Looking for Australian art paintings in the first pages is like looking for a needle in a haystack

any other local artists feel the same way ?

from a group of local australian artists

I think it is the case in a lot if not most categories I have spent a fair bit of time trying to find one I can work with but everyone I look at is saturated by Chinese sellers. I have even found some large expensive items that 100% are Chinese sellers the items are in Australia not sure if there is some sort of forwarding system or they get some one they know here to send them. These items are being sold for about wholesale price plus postage so there is no way Australians can compete in these areas.

I think you do have 1 edge and that is it is Australian art so people who are interested want be interested in the stuff coming from China but I agree even then this is Ebay Australia so Australian made products should be promoted above all others.

There was a post here a day or 2 a go about the CEO (I think it was) saying they are going to try to improve things for local crafts and things so hopefully in the future it improves for you

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

If ebay got rid of the chinese art I would break my brushes out of hibernation and start painting again. Currnetly ebay is flooded with so much that's not "local" it all gets a bit hard. People see the cheap chinese stuff and then don't want to look at the better Aussie ones that are usually a bit dearer priced. 

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

I know personally, I'd much prefer to pay the extra and get a hand painted art work from Australia than some mass produced rubbish out of Asia. I guess it depends on what the buyer is looking for at the time and whether quality over price means anything.

The "glitch" with selecting "Australia Only" is, it is still flooded with Chinese carp. That option is for sellers who only post to or within Australia. If you post worldwide, your listings won't appear in "Australia Only", even though you are in Australia. If a Chinese seller only posts to Australia, their listings will show. Same as if someone in the US only posts to Australia, their listings will show.

As far as I'm concerned, and I think plenty would agree, Australia Only should be for sellers that live in Australia. That is, the items are IN Australia when they are listed.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

The really sad thing in this instance is that the traditional "arty supporters" like the greens/labor actually are the hardest pushers of globalisation which encourages these chinese sellers .  Another point is that even if your group of australian artists had their way and only australian items were on ebay then chinese artists would duplicate your art pieces and sell them on another platform and drive away sales and you could do nothing about it.

There is another site which has homemade items and art and handcrafts-it's called etsy but i guarantee with ebay's new determination to buy other platforms (see separate forum topics) i'm sure it will be short lived (just like when ebay bought gumtree)

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Etsy recently listed on the stock exchange & are just getting bigger & bigger. Unfortunately it is still US-centric at present -but at the rate it is expanding it might start to have more impact in the international market. In time Etsy could become what eBay was and eBay will be a Chinese junk market  (it is half way there already!).

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Etsy already have an AU presence. You just add /au after the .com.

You still get billed in USD tho.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

I guess the one thing you can do is try and offer art portraying something which no one else does, and/or use as many keywords as you can in the item title.

When I enter my car posters I add in all the model names and years into the item titles so it catches people looking for everything to do with it.

Eg. For a Holden HQ series poster, I would use something like 1971 to 1974 Holden HQ poster Belmont Kingswood Monaro Premier Statesman 350 GTS SS Sandman ute, but I know there's a limit, so it still needs some thinkng.  The budget Belmont model wouldn't be much interest to people now so I'd drop that.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply