May 2013 Fee Structure Changes

CmtyGuide@ebay.com
Community Member

eBay will be introducing a new fee structure on May 1, 2013.

For some sellers fees will be going up, while others will see notable reductions.  We encourage you to take the time to visit the newly launched Seller Centre to see how the changes will affect you (http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/fs5).

You will notice that to offset the fee change, we have worked to remove the major barriers to listing and have continued to reduce upfront fees to make selling on eBay easier and fairer. Most sellers should only be paying fees on an item after it sells – not before.

Your fees contribute to eBay’s ability to significantly invest in the overall experience for both sellers and buyers.  Enhancements on the buyer side of the equation are aimed squarely at driving traffic to your listings and ensuring the 7.3 million Australians who visit the site every month continue to do so. For example, investments in marketing, social media promotions and mobile commerce applications helped sellers to capture a greater share of online sales in 2012 and saw a 21% year on year increase of visits to eBay.

After reviewing the changes it should be clear that the new fee structure also encourages sellers to adopt the behaviours that we know buyers increasingly prefer (eg: fixed price over auction in some categories) – therefore increasing your chances of a successful sale.

In 2013 we will be working even harder to respond to the rapid pace of change in our industry and to ensure you are taken along on the journey. You will see a number of innovations announced in the coming months and throughout the year which support all of our sellers, no matter what their size or business aspirations.”

eBay Community Guides help you find what you need in eBay Community, but do not offer advice on other eBay features, or engage in conversation. Find out more about eBay Community and how it works here: Community Help Page
Message 1 of 303
Latest reply
302 REPLIES 302

Re: May 2013 Fee Structure Changes

What a joke . Ebay is now dead . Lets kill our own bussiness . You have just killed mine.

Do you understand the amount of people that list items under $100 ?

So this week a item that i might list with a start price of $8 and cost me 50 cents is now going to cost me $1.50 in a months time .

This is a increase of 300 % .

My items alone as auction would amount to 98% under $100 start price and i am sure there are 1000s that have all 100% under $100 .

So in the last few years we have huge increase in postage cost , hidden catalogue where people cant find anything , huge inflex of rubbbish items from overseas that no one is interested in and now this .

And to top it off i am being feed this rubbish that it is better for my business .

Give me a brake .

Message 2 of 303
Latest reply

renoondabay
Community Member

I agree with you.  Ebay have shot themselves in the foot.  I will certainly think twice about other selling options before I sell via ebay!!

Message 3 of 303
Latest reply

I would love some advice as to how I can downgrade a store from featured to basic from May 1

ie.

By what date do I need to notify re my store subscription?

and

who do I need to notify?

I guess it is somewhere in the help section now as you must be able downgrade from an anchor store to a featured store as it stands at the present?

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 4 of 303
Latest reply

shoppingshell63
Community Member

You are killing all the small sellers like the other comments say.To list things under $100 it cost $1.50 even though the first 40 are free you have increased the final selling fee to 9.9% from 7.9%.As I sell footy cards and most are well below $100.00 , once I have reached 40 listings my cards that I sell for $2.00 will cost me $1.50 to list them almost 10% to sell so out of the $2.00 It has cost me $1.70 to sell a profit of $0.30.Wasting my time after May 1st and will have to look at Quicksales and/or Gumtree.May not sell as quick but after May 1st there may be more people leave.

Message 5 of 303
Latest reply

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/questions/close-store.html

Store subscriptions are for a minimum 30-day period.

If you cancel within this period, you will be billed for the entire 30 days.

If you cancel after the minimum 30-day period, your subscription will be pro-rata’d and any overpayment will be reflected in a later invoice.

So from this. I need to cancel May 1 and then resubscribe as a Basic store and any extra fees will be refunded on a later invoice?

Then any new listings or GTC listings that automatically renew from May 1  will be listed at the new rate and any sales after May 1 will be charged as per my new store subscription rate table?

... I guess ?:|

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 6 of 303
Latest reply

WHAT>....THE....HELL ???? 9.9% ????

Are you guys kidding me? Thats it - no more ebay for me. I have been on here for over 10 years, with 100% feedback and a dedicated seller and buyer of ebay. But with a FVF of 10% that is just ridiculous. I am off to Gumtree.

This was the last straw. It only went up to 7.9 some time ago. I would seriously be reconsidering this. 10% is a joke.

Message 7 of 303
Latest reply

oh well... it's time to say goodbye to ebay.

$1.5 insertion fee for each auction? Are you kidding?

Most of my sales are in auctions format, very different to sell anything in fixed price format nowadays.

HOW IS THIS GOOD FOR MY BUSINESS IN ANY WAY? 

Message 8 of 303
Latest reply

continued....

if seller activity is constantly going down - the wrong thing to do is INCREASE the FVF for the sellers left. eBay is not solving the real problem, they need to understand why sellers are leaving, instead of stinging the sellers still here (like me).

Message 9 of 303
Latest reply

I am absolutely stunned by this !!! - dont Ebay realise how hard it is in the Retail Sector - We have a retail store that is sinking fast - we use Ebay to survive - but with the new fees the increase will be huge - as we sell items that fall within the Colelctables category and with the FVF Cap being raised this will cost us $100's extra per month - an example on a wardobe that was previously capped at $100  - the fee now becomes $220 - does that mean we have to increase all our prices to try to cver the fees if thats the case we will sell even less - our Ebay sales have been going backwards for the last 12 months as it is.

Looks like we will have to check out Gum Tree as well - like many others - We have been loyal to Ebay for more than 10 years - but what have we got in return - NOTHING !!!!!!!!

Message 10 of 303
Latest reply