May 2013 Fee Structure Changes

CmtyGuide@ebay.com
Community Member

eBay will be introducing a new fee structure on May 1, 2013.

For some sellers fees will be going up, while others will see notable reductions.  We encourage you to take the time to visit the newly launched Seller Centre to see how the changes will affect you (http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/fs5).

You will notice that to offset the fee change, we have worked to remove the major barriers to listing and have continued to reduce upfront fees to make selling on eBay easier and fairer. Most sellers should only be paying fees on an item after it sells – not before.

Your fees contribute to eBay’s ability to significantly invest in the overall experience for both sellers and buyers.  Enhancements on the buyer side of the equation are aimed squarely at driving traffic to your listings and ensuring the 7.3 million Australians who visit the site every month continue to do so. For example, investments in marketing, social media promotions and mobile commerce applications helped sellers to capture a greater share of online sales in 2012 and saw a 21% year on year increase of visits to eBay.

After reviewing the changes it should be clear that the new fee structure also encourages sellers to adopt the behaviours that we know buyers increasingly prefer (eg: fixed price over auction in some categories) – therefore increasing your chances of a successful sale.

In 2013 we will be working even harder to respond to the rapid pace of change in our industry and to ensure you are taken along on the journey. You will see a number of innovations announced in the coming months and throughout the year which support all of our sellers, no matter what their size or business aspirations.”

eBay Community Guides help you find what you need in eBay Community, but do not offer advice on other eBay features, or engage in conversation. Find out more about eBay Community and how it works here: Community Help Page
Message 1 of 303
Latest reply
302 REPLIES 302

Re: May 2013 Fee Structure Changes

I would love some advice as to how I can downgrade a store from featured to basic from May 1

ie.

By what date do I need to notify re my store subscription?

and

who do I need to notify?

I guess it is somewhere in the help section now as you must be able downgrade from an anchor store to a featured store as it stands at the present?

If  I change my store level from the manage my store menu/change subscription on April 30 then I should be charged the new fees for May and the old rate for April as far as I can work out and I dont need to end any listings.

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 11 of 303
Latest reply

When you add the additional Paypal fees (Also Ebay based) to the new Ebay fees I think we'll be seeing a lot of small item Ebay stores disappearing because it just won't be a viable selling platform for them any more.

Those who do remain will be forced to raise their asking prices significantly in order to cover costs, thereby reducing their sales figures when many of them are already struggling to stay aboard the Ebay boat, so they will end up dead in the water eventually too.

It seems to me that Ebay are looking to cover/increase their bottom line profits at the expense of the sellers, but there's always a limit on how much you can load the camel up before you break its back, and these new fee structures may well prove to be the final straw to do it.

Ebay needs to start recognising that when many of the small items sellers disappear, so too will many of the buyers who will no longer see bay as 'THE' online shopping experience.

I wish all Ebay sellers well, but I am now more certain than ever that my own sales business via markets remains the wise choice for me.

Ebay will no longer be the 'poor man's' online sales platform.

Message 12 of 303
Latest reply

just remember who owns gumtree -- the gumtree page layout has recently changed

and a couple of months back their fees went up  too

i sell heaps on gumtree only and im just waiting for a big change there too

Message 13 of 303
Latest reply

If  I change my store level from the manage my store menu/change subscription on April 30 then I should be charged the new fees for May and the old rate for April as far as I can work out and I dont need to end any listings.

If the site is updated by then - at the moment the basic store price of $19.95 is not available in my account, it still shows $49.95

Message 14 of 303
Latest reply

yes me too  re $49.95 I dunno maybe if you change  1st May you will be only charged pro rata one day featured then the rest of the month basic but If I change any of my subscriptions then I will be doing it April 30 I reckon.

I do have some accounts that are billed at end of month and others that are billed from month middle to month middle.. I dunno why.. maybe that is what the pro rata bit is about in the store speel in the help section?

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 15 of 303
Latest reply

What ebay wants is simply one very large Asian shopping mall-no little sellers,no antique/collector sellers,no mum & dad sellers,no Australian sellers unless they're a certain *cough choke splutter* Partner Seller & no auctions.

JMO but sure am glad I stopped selling mid last year.

Message 16 of 303
Latest reply

I have been trading on ebay for 8 years now and Ebay will continue to increase the fees and there is nothing we can do about it, they never listen to our protests/posts as they know there is no where else to go. The only time they crumbled was when they tried to make us only accept paypal payments.

You can give gumtree ago but it can take ages to sell, so stock just sits there gathering dust, though in saying that I have sold a few items and will be listing more as I am reducing stock in my store to only my best sellers.

WARNING Do not pay there fees to bump up your add as it goes to “EBAY AUSTRALIA”

Message 17 of 303
Latest reply

I thought the announcement was a spam email sent to me for April Fool, but then I saw it was dated 2nd April and it was FOR REAL.

so , 7.9% upto 9.9%  let me see , that is a rounded 20% fee increase,  Isn't there a prices justification process gov't regulator SOMEWHERE ebay should have to explain that to?

After they deleted the genre category search on my music categore, I stopped listing in Australia anyway (Now use USA and UK) as my items could no longer be easily found on OZ search, and totally disappeared on the still available genre search overseas buyers can see. 

Falling income on less sales because of hiding things in the search engine is cured by raising the FVF on the few items still able to be seen ... Very logical if you are reviewing gov't taxes or you are eBay it seems

Message 18 of 303
Latest reply

Has anyone actually done their sums on this?

I may be wrong but a quick calculation shows no  increase for me in the total fees if I keep the featured store, the $40 saving in listing fees on 200 listings covers the 1.5% increase in the FVF.

As usual I will be shutting up shop soon until November so by then all will be history and I suspect ebay will survive as it ever does.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 19 of 303
Latest reply

Can't believe what I read today!  

0-19.95 listing up a $1.00!     FVF up from 7.9% to 9.9%!!!!!  What the......?

For the little seller like me, there is nothing left for me and my time, after I pay ebay and paypal, and of course to top it off Australia Post fees are going up as well.  Aaarrrrr

No one will find a bargain on ebay anymore.

Looks like I'll be looking elsewhere.

Message 20 of 303
Latest reply