May 2013 Fee Structure Changes

CmtyGuide@ebay.com
Community Member

eBay will be introducing a new fee structure on May 1, 2013.

For some sellers fees will be going up, while others will see notable reductions.  We encourage you to take the time to visit the newly launched Seller Centre to see how the changes will affect you (http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/fs5).

You will notice that to offset the fee change, we have worked to remove the major barriers to listing and have continued to reduce upfront fees to make selling on eBay easier and fairer. Most sellers should only be paying fees on an item after it sells – not before.

Your fees contribute to eBay’s ability to significantly invest in the overall experience for both sellers and buyers.  Enhancements on the buyer side of the equation are aimed squarely at driving traffic to your listings and ensuring the 7.3 million Australians who visit the site every month continue to do so. For example, investments in marketing, social media promotions and mobile commerce applications helped sellers to capture a greater share of online sales in 2012 and saw a 21% year on year increase of visits to eBay.

After reviewing the changes it should be clear that the new fee structure also encourages sellers to adopt the behaviours that we know buyers increasingly prefer (eg: fixed price over auction in some categories) – therefore increasing your chances of a successful sale.

In 2013 we will be working even harder to respond to the rapid pace of change in our industry and to ensure you are taken along on the journey. You will see a number of innovations announced in the coming months and throughout the year which support all of our sellers, no matter what their size or business aspirations.”

eBay Community Guides help you find what you need in eBay Community, but do not offer advice on other eBay features, or engage in conversation. Find out more about eBay Community and how it works here: Community Help Page
Message 1 of 303
Latest reply
302 REPLIES 302

mankind79
Community Member

Thanks for the info, I just red the email from ebay today and didnt look into it untill now. So would the best option be to wait till May1 and then go back to a Basic Store or do it on the last day of the month? Anyway I will be doing more reading and researching to find the best option for myself:) Thank you

Message 151 of 303
Latest reply

As a seller I find eBay has gone too far with a 9,9%  charge, I will not pay that amount, so will use other ways to sell my goods,  why not charge the buyer,

Sellers should include the 9,9% charge in their price, make the buyer pay.  this is what happens at most other auction sites, 

Message 152 of 303
Latest reply

As a seller I find eBay has gone too far with a 9,9%  charge, I will not pay that amount, so will use other ways to sell my goods,  why not charge the buyer,

Sellers should include the 9,9% charge in their price, make the buyer pay.  this is what happens at most other auction sites, 

if you mean at B&M Auction houses, that 'buyer pays' fee is paid to the Auction House, and the Seller also pays the Auction House...

so buyer pays 10% buyers commission

and Seller pays 17% sellers commission

both those amounts go to the auction house NOT to the seller. !!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 153 of 303
Latest reply

WOW you guys get quicker and quicker at dobbing me in must be really getting up noses LOL. 

Have prices doubled since i was kicked of LOL.  Hope so.

Message 154 of 303
Latest reply

You have to be insane to jack up the selling fee to virtually 10%. Please explain how your costs have risen to justify this exorbitant charge. I was quite happy to pay a small fee to list and a small fee if I sold but this is too much.

For private sellers who are just clearing out unwanted stuff you have killed the goose that laid the golden egg. Hello Gumtree!!

Message 155 of 303
Latest reply

Phil you do realise ebay own Gumtree.I will be opening an account in my wifes name for other items I sell and get more free listings.I am sure there will be even more avoidance of fees now due to this rate hike:-D so it will backfire on them in some respects.No business can afford to ignore the little guy as you dont know when he will become the big guy

Message 156 of 303
Latest reply

Phil , Even if you open a few accounts in different names (which no doubt a lot of sellers will do), Wont you still only be getting free listings for fixed price items?. Í have a problem coming to terms with the auctions going up from 50c to $1.50 with no free listings . Also does anybody know if I listed 200 in one months with a "good till cancelled", Will I be charged each month for the unsold items or can i just keep on adding items?. I am pulling my hair out trying to get my head around the changes as I don't think I can continue to sell at these rates. For those of you that don't believe Ebay read these boards, You are wrong!. They actually rang me a few days ago in an attempt to help me because of my last question here. I have to say they left me even more frazzled . It would be a little helpful if we could list multiple items with variations, this is only available in a few categories. 

Message 157 of 303
Latest reply

Sorry Phil this was not meant to be addressed to you. but at-the-pickers-emporium 🙂

Message 158 of 303
Latest reply

Even if you open a few accounts in different names (which no doubt a lot of sellers will do), Wont you still only be getting free listings for fixed price items?. 

Without a store, there is no restriction on the listing format that qualifies for a fee listing. It can be auction, auction with BIN, or just a BIN, and although max. duration is 10 days, anyone without a store will be able to list multiple quantity BINs, and use variation listings where available.

My understanding is that the first 200 listings per month (with a Featured Store), will be free - and I take that to mean the first 200 charges, basically - any GTC that tick over, and any new listings, from the 1st of every month until 200 listings have been used.

That is just my interpretation, though, there has been no clear explanation how the 200 free will work. 

Message 159 of 303
Latest reply

I'm sorry but I'm out.

I've been on eBay for the better part of 12 years and this has pushed me right over the edge. I'm selling items at the moment for less that $5. At $1.50 each, and trying to factor in all the other hidden costs, no item I list is going to be able to start at less that $5. With postage, nothing is going to be able to go anywhere for less than $15 total. Who is going to want to buy in that kind of market unless it's something very unique?

Yes, there's 40 free auctions blah blah blah. Is this seriously meant to make us just gloss over the real costs of transacting?

I have seen many a fanboi get on and say how wonderfully cheap eBay is compared to the paper and other options. I don't know where they live but here in SA, we have a major paper which allows you to sell for FREE anything under $500 every Friday. Then there's the markets - $15 for a table, go for your life. 

This just isn't worth the hassle with PayPal, postage and extortionate 10% fees which is sniffing very close to Auction House rates. 

Maybe for those magical one off items, but nothing else. 

Message 160 of 303
Latest reply