May 2013 Fee Structure Changes

CmtyGuide@ebay.com
Community Member

eBay will be introducing a new fee structure on May 1, 2013.

For some sellers fees will be going up, while others will see notable reductions.  We encourage you to take the time to visit the newly launched Seller Centre to see how the changes will affect you (http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/fs5).

You will notice that to offset the fee change, we have worked to remove the major barriers to listing and have continued to reduce upfront fees to make selling on eBay easier and fairer. Most sellers should only be paying fees on an item after it sells – not before.

Your fees contribute to eBay’s ability to significantly invest in the overall experience for both sellers and buyers.  Enhancements on the buyer side of the equation are aimed squarely at driving traffic to your listings and ensuring the 7.3 million Australians who visit the site every month continue to do so. For example, investments in marketing, social media promotions and mobile commerce applications helped sellers to capture a greater share of online sales in 2012 and saw a 21% year on year increase of visits to eBay.

After reviewing the changes it should be clear that the new fee structure also encourages sellers to adopt the behaviours that we know buyers increasingly prefer (eg: fixed price over auction in some categories) – therefore increasing your chances of a successful sale.

In 2013 we will be working even harder to respond to the rapid pace of change in our industry and to ensure you are taken along on the journey. You will see a number of innovations announced in the coming months and throughout the year which support all of our sellers, no matter what their size or business aspirations.”

eBay Community Guides help you find what you need in eBay Community, but do not offer advice on other eBay features, or engage in conversation. Find out more about eBay Community and how it works here: Community Help Page
Message 1 of 303
Latest reply
302 REPLIES 302

Gumtree is not the site it was a few weeks back. It has now been blessed with the eBay touch.

To edit your add after 12 hours, it costs. To bump your add, it costs.

When listing, you have to be very careful not to click on certain buttons because it costs.

It's turned a little scarey in the last week.

Message 21 of 303
Latest reply

Always thought Gumtree was free.Cant imagine it will stay that way though with Ebay owning it.Will be looking at other options myself as have been blessed with slow or non payers just lately which is starting to annoy me like crazy.Who pays for a $20 item that is pick up by Paypal,the answer is my buyers!:-(

Message 22 of 303
Latest reply

Its a joke and you need a masters to work it out .

So its saying i get 200 free listings a month . I would bet that that would be the lowers fees i pay , for example 200 in the media sections .

So then i would have the 70 odd auctions i do most weeks . This is now going to be $105 a week instead of the $35 now .

So even if i take the 200 x 5 cents for the media ones which they are so nicely given me for free in a back handed way that they do because i will end up paying it as final vaule fees . The it will cost me a extra $25 in the first week and $35 in the next 3 for what i do now .

So in total , not taking into account the raise in final value fees it will cost me a extra $130 a month on top of what i pay now .

And yet what do i  get for this extra cost ."its good for your business " HMMM

Message 23 of 303
Latest reply

One of the major changes for casual sellers is that even if you attain Power Seller status, you will still get the 40 free listings per month, and regardless of status, they will be able to access multiple quantity and variant listings. 

Still an increase for most taking advantage of the 30 free, due to the higher FVF. The cap rising from $100 to $250 is (while in line with the US cap) doesn't make for much of an actual "cap", since it means your selling price needs to be in excess of around $2530 to mean any savings. 

Message 24 of 303
Latest reply

http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/node/134

28. Why are Auction insertion fees increasing?

Auction insertion fees are increasing for items listed with a start price of $0.00 - $19.99 and from $100+. The fees will stay the same for items with a start price of between $20.00 - $99.99 so we now have two tiers $1.50 for auctions under $100 and $3.50 for auctions over $100.

The change is intended to encourage Store sellers to consider selling items in a fixed price format because our buyers increasing prefer it. Non-store sellers will have 40 free auctions per week and collectable store sellers will have free insertion fees for auctions.

I think Ebay need to check its answers in the FAQ's - something's NOT QUITE RIGHT

Message 25 of 303
Latest reply

What ebay wants is simply one very large Asian shopping mall-no little sellers,no antique/collector sellers,no mum & dad sellers,no Australian sellers unless they're a certain *cough choke splutter* Partner Seller & no auctions.

JMO but sure am glad I stopped selling mid last year..

I think you're right foxy. it's been heading that way for a couple of years now. The online shopping mall was bandied about as far back as the PP only campaign.

For me personally, I have noticed the decline in the Antiques/collectables categories. Most of my favourite sellers have already disappeared &  in all honesty, I don't find that much that 

I' M tempted to buy any more. I will try and hang in as an occasional seller but will let go of my TRS  status over the next few months

Message 26 of 303
Latest reply

screws2ucomau
Community Member

I was starting to feel like I was the only one who was watching the sales drop away. The last fee change of eBay stores was blamed on " the increase in demand ", so typically eBay decide if more people are wanting to open a basic store lets change the price to $49.95.

After almost 5 years of having a eBay store I closed my store on the 31st of March, and will now do the sums to work out if I go back to a eBay store or spend the extra time on my website or quicksales. yes the sales are slower on both of these other ways but atleast I am not donating money to Feebay.

Message 27 of 303
Latest reply

GreedBay at its best !

Message 28 of 303
Latest reply

Once again Ebay proves it is missing the market. With so many venues to shop on the internet that are CHEAPER than on ebay fixed price listings are not going to stand out.

The only thing that makes Ebay unique and desirable is it's ability to host auctions.

I haven't sold a bean on ebay for the last 6 mnths (was selling around 3000 dollars per mnth). Strangely enough I am still a powerseller. Odd.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" Mahatma Gandhi
Message 29 of 303
Latest reply

Too big for their boots springs to mind.I used to have a small vending machine run,same thing their,market controlled by one player(coke) and they put their prices up when they want and in the meantime buy out any smaller operators that take away from their bottom line-pretty soon the whole worldof commerce will be run by XYZ Com!

Message 30 of 303
Latest reply