My first ever defect, and the buyer didn't do it.

5kazam
Community Member

Sold an item recently.  Buyer was coming down from NSW to Vic, and we agreed item could be picked up when she was ready to do so.  Many emails back and forth, exhchange of phone numbers, etc. etc.

Item picked up, buyer very happy, left glowing feedback.

Then I find I have a defect for - Item not as described, Commucation, Postage costs.  ???  If item NAD on pick up - don't take with you. Communication - as said emails, phone no's etc,   Postage Costs - well excuse me, there aren't any on pick up.  And those are the the 3 defect issues.

Spoke to the buyer today, and she advised that she gives feedback, but does not EVER go near the stars.  Figures giving good FB is all she needs to do.  The buyer has asked me to give her a couple of days to sort this out with eBay, as she has just had a new grandson (congratulations!!).

But how can this happen?  My buyer is as astounded about this as I am.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Because when you leave feedback you also need to leave a score otherwise it's classed as no stars

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:

Because when you leave feedback you also need to leave a score otherwise it's classed as no stars

Not leaving stars is exactly that. Not leaving stars. It doesn't count as less than one, it counts as not leaving stars and doesn't add to your quota. No different to someone not leaving feedback. It also doesn't give you defects for them not being left. I have plenty of buyers not leaving stars and have never copped a defect for it. Some people prefer not to leave them.

Kazam, I'd be getting onto eBay about it. I got a defect for NAD a few months ago from a buyer who left glowing feedback. I sent her a message asking if there was something wrong and if there was, I would be happy to fix it. She said she always leaves 5 stars, or none at all. She recalled giving me 5 stars for everything and reinforced how happy she was with the item. I sent eBay a message, asking them to read the messages between us and they removed the defect.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

Just ask her to email it to you via the Ebay system - saying she in no way meant to leave you a defect or low stars for anything, and if it happened it was a mistake and that she was very happy with the whole process.

Then Email Ebay, tell them whats happened and copy and paste the email from her into the complaint to Ebay support.

Ive done this a few times and every time they have removed the defects, but you do need it in writing from the buyer.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

This seemed to be fairly common when defects were first introduced and the buyer didn't rate the stars while using an app 😞  (more app issues, sadly - not saying that would have definitely been the case here, but in the past the buyers would insist they didn't rate the stars at all and were on a mobile device - I thought maybe the app pre-fills at a default of 1, but then there would have been a 1 for postage time as well. 

It might be that old (and/or new) issues are resurfacing while eBay prepares to implement the new seller performance system. 

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

If using an app this is what happens

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

crow that is so incorrect. If a buyer leaves no stars then it does not affect your defect rate at all.

Some of these buyers leave these low stars by accident and some leave them thinking that we as sellers we not find out they have left low ratings. So once buyers are confronted with the email asking if they left low rating of course they are either going to cover their butts.

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

you are making it sound like if a buyer leaves no stars then you are penalized for it ..........you aren't.

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

You can't get a defect for communication or for postage costs.

You can only get a defect for an Item if a buyer marks down the stars for description or postage time or if the buyer opens a return request for Item not as described or a case for item not received. Neutral or negative feedback will also result in a defect.

If you have a defect for INAD most likely the buyer has used a mobile device and hasn't realised what they have done. All the buyer needs to do is confirm through the ebay message system that they had meant to leave either no stars or 5 stars and if you contact ebay they should remove it automatically.

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply