My first time has gone so wrong.

First-time user gone so wrong rings went to auction have no idea I wouldn't reach the price I was hoping for not sure how to put out from the sale of a $300 ring for $57 

Message 1 of 80
Latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

These days ebay does not work like it once used to for auctions. Or for many other things really.

The buyers/traffic are no longer there.

You MUST start an auction at the minimum price you are prepared to accept because these days you mostly only get a single bidder.

Hard lesson to learn but that's the reality these days.

Message 2 of 80
Latest reply

It IS a hard lesson to learn, and tehnically you are supposed to sell at the price the auction reached.  Refusing to do so will get you a defect, and as a brand new buyer that will not help you get started.  However, one would hope we are all entitled to make one mistake.  I would contact eBay and explain that this was your first sale and you did not realise how things work and cannot afford to let your item go at the price it reached, and ask them what you can do.  They may assist.  If not, then all you can do is contact the buyer and do the same, then cancel the sale, wear the defect and hope they don't leave negative feedback as well.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 3 of 80
Latest reply

i'm pretty sure your not alone in the making an expensive error at the start of selling on ebay.

that said did you have the ring valued by a reputable jeweler to think it was worth $300.

the price you buy a ring for at a jewelery store is not its value, its only the price the store thinks it can sell it for.

its true value is usually much lower. only a valuation will tell you what you might hope to get when selling it.

never list an item for auction at a price lower than the price you need to be happy once its sold.

Message 4 of 80
Latest reply

I don't normally advocate pulling out of a sale, but this is what I'd do in this situation. I would explain to the buyer that it was your first sale and you got it wrong. You can sell to them at that price and apologise profusely. I would then cancel the transaction and refund. The buyer will probably give you a negative. As you have 0 feedback, I'd abandon this account and start a new one.

Message 5 of 80
Latest reply

I think tippy meant "you can't sell to them at that price and apologise profusely".

image host
Message 6 of 80
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

How was it a $300 ring?   Your listing just said 'amethyst ring' -

No gold content mentioned - it could have been gold plated.

Not enough info - no pics of the hallmarking

Having said that, the one you have listed will sell for one bid and you wont like

that either. 

It's listed as  "Ring"  that really doesn't describe it does it?

I feel for your pain, but look at other listings and learn before you sell again

Message 7 of 80
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:
 the one you have listed will sell for one bid and you wont like

that either. 

It's listed as  "Ring"  that really doesn't describe it does it?

I feel for your pain, but look at other listings and learn before you sell again

It also has a buyers ID in the questions and answers about this item.

Always start your items at the lowest price that you are willing to accept,good.gif

Check to see how others list items similar to yours,(which will give you a better idea on how to sell them).

Message 8 of 80
Latest reply

After all, ebay usually advocate starting auctions at 99-cents.

So contact them as Penny says and explain that when you did what they said it has all gone wrong.

Slim chance but worth a try.

Message 9 of 80
Latest reply

ebays response will be, well it did sell didn't it? we were right.

Message 10 of 80
Latest reply