My first time has gone so wrong.

First-time user gone so wrong rings went to auction have no idea I wouldn't reach the price I was hoping for not sure how to put out from the sale of a $300 ring for $57 

Message 1 of 80
Latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

Message 21 of 80
Latest reply

A few points I'd like to open up for discussion.

OP really made a mistake listing items with a starting price well below what they wanted to acheive. Ebay encourages low starting prices because they say it promotes sales. It in fact sets you up for disappointment. On the other hand there are two happy buyers who are chuffed thay got such a great buy. They love ebay now. Are back online every day searching.

OP cancels the sales. Buyers are hopping mad and now hate ebay and tell their mates about being ripped off. Further confidence of ebay is eroded by a bad buyer experience and thus weakens the platform.

OP opens a new account to be rid of any negatives recieved. Further promtes the wrong idea of ebay sellers being shifty and bad sellers being able to hide their poor performance.

Ebay should introduce a little dialouge box reminding sellers especially new sellers that a sale is a contract and the price acheived is the price they get. Remind them that lack of competition may result in a low sale price and to start their items accordingly.

Thoughts?

Message 22 of 80
Latest reply

@kingfisher.curiosity.shop wrote:

... that a sale is a contract ...

Equally they (ebay) should remind buyers of exactly this.

Once they commit to buy they should also honour that same contract and pay up. Too many do not.

The OP can choose not to honour this sale just as much as a buyer can choose not to by failing to pay.

For buyers there are non-payment strikes in place as long as the sellers use the existing rules properly.

And for sellers there is Negative FB as long as the buyers use the existing rules properly.

What's good for the goose....

Message 23 of 80
Latest reply

Thoughts on this are.

(1) eBay has policies which are aimed at buyers and sellers, and labelled accordingly. If they are not read, it can lead to problems.

(2) Whenever I have answered a similar question to the one here, in the Answer Centre, I have said the seller is obliged to follow through, set a starting price they would be happy with if only one bidder, taking into account all their fees and a reasonable profit.

(3) for some reason, I felt some sympathy for this specific case as presented. Did I think, hey, yeah, a seller gets to reneg if they feel cheated (on a starting price they set themselves)? Nope. I offered a little advice for next time to encourage more interest, and suggested they request, from the buyer, an ok to cancel. Leaving it up to the buyer to either go yay! I scored a real bargain! or to show a little sympathy, too.

(4) as for anything else...would I reneg on a sale. No. Would I not pay, well, once I didn't. That was with a seller who refused to take Paypal (although accepted on the listing), refused to set it up and told me eBay had said I should pay by bank deposit...after politely saying no, I'll help you set up Paypal...I didn't hear from them again.

There are two sides to a deal. Sometimes a major mistake can be helped through. If the buyer(s) here want their rings, they are fully entitled to get them...but, no harm in asking the first buyer to please be understanding.

Two eBayers getting huffy? Sure, depending on who they are and how much social media clout they have, could make any non-receipt a big deal.

I'll stress yet again though, requesting a buyer be a little kind isn't not following through unless the buyer, agrees to it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 24 of 80
Latest reply

OP opens a new account to be rid of any negatives recieved. Further promtes the wrong idea of ebay sellers being shifty and bad sellers being able to hide their poor performance.

To whom?    New id - you don't know who it is - there's no history.

Happens more often than you know about, is my guess

Message 25 of 80
Latest reply

i really dont think a 0 feedback member who has bad a hash of his or her first attempt at selling then creating a new ID and trying again fresh is so bad.

i'm sure there are many really bad sellers who have piled up many red dots who have begun fresh and not changed their selling practices at all, that i do find bad.

Message 26 of 80
Latest reply

davidc4430,

you are 100% right!

Making a mistake (listening to Ebay and starting with low bids) for a brand new seller is not a crime! Nothing shifty about trying to cheat anyone, it just shows that seller simply can't afford to sell the goods at those prices.

And the "winning bidders" who may jump up and down in indignation and rage, saying they were hard done by would probably do exactly the same if it was other way around. 

Didn's see either of them offering a seller a fair price, actually I NEVER see that.

If I was OP, and scored the negs - would reply to both and say  that I was new, didn't know but just couldn't afford to sell them at that price.

If most of the future buyers can't relate to that - they are not worth having.

In my eyes, people who expect something valuable for practically nothing are nothing short of predatory - much worse "crime" than this seller would have comitted - for not feeling obligated enough to give in and loose a considerable amount of money.

Message 27 of 80
Latest reply

If you think people are predatory for wanting something that's valuable and getting it cheaply then the whole

auction style of selling needs to be scrapped.

And I disagree with your post as 99.99% of people are out to get whatever they can as cheap as they can,that's just the way it is.

And the more valuable and the cheaper you can get it the better.

OP is new ok but that's the biggest excuse a new seller can make that they are new and didn't know what they were doing.

If you don't know what you're doing then either don't sell or try and make some time in researching before you take the next step simple.

Message 28 of 80
Latest reply

i dont watch much tv, i definately dont watch the logies. but i do read news papers and recently read of a show called 'gogglebox' winning 'the most informative tv program' award. i think that was what it won.

i have seens sdverts for this program so i have the drift of it.

this left me thinking there must be a very large number of no hoper numbats who watch this show and also vote for logie awards.

my point is i'm not suprised there are new sellers who have no idea what they are doing and follow ebays recomendations blindly.

my view is its not a hanging offence and i would give them a second chance to do it right.

Message 29 of 80
Latest reply

No one watches that show so I don't know how it won a logie lol,it's all rigged anyway.

My main point was that ebay has in recent times not given two hoots about it's sellers so a seller new or old hand

needs to be very careful these days.

I guarantee you that if OP doesn't go through with the sale/transaction that ebay will have a nice cross against their account.

Message 30 of 80
Latest reply