NPB's - no choice but to block?

We all have those pesky NPB's and they seem to be legion lately

The usual good advice is to turn on the filters and it works, but maybe a bit too well.

(I know I've blocked 7 in the last 3 weeks).

Not every NP Buyer does it all the time but they do do it often enough to be quite a nuisance.

Rather than blocking them (and missing sales) wouldn't it be much better if we could opt to demand immediate payment instead?

eBay already has that functionality but it would be great if they'd roll it out as a conditional option in site prefs.

Just a thought.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

when you block people with NPB history as you say there is no guarantee they will go NPD on your item, in fact for most the odds are enormously in your favour they wont. Add to this they may bid, and not win hence ensuring you get a higher price anyway (if you are talking auctions that is).

Your block list MAY have prevented an inconvenient NPB, no guarantee of that, but it has lost you 7 sales

Immediate payment only works for BINs, and unless you have essential items you may cause loss of buyers who go elsewhere.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Blocking is mainly doing your bit for the community by creating a consequence to offenders.

Blocking people with shocking behavior is a different matter than a couple of NPBs. That is protecting your FB and potentially being ripped off

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

As you are a store owner, I assume you list at BIN. (No, I haven't checked)

As such, if you wish to limit your sales to those who choose to pay at purchase, then Immediate payment will suit you.

What rollout do you require? As you have said, it is already an option.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

You're right about the BIN's - I have no auctions at all.

What I was getting at is that the site prefs ONLY give the option of blocking NPB's.

I just thought it would be a better idea to let them buy IF they are prepared to pay immediately.

I offer and encourage combined purchasing so wouldn't demand immediate payment as a precondition.

It was just my thought that it would be a handy filter for dealing with NPB's without bouncing them entirely.
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

My blocks are for those who have 2+ strikes in 6 months. Or firsthand NPBs.

Works for me. But I don't get hyperbolic about NPBs. I give them a chance, they don't pay, they get a strike and I relist. they pay, I send.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I went to 2 in 12 months but maybe you're right about 2 per 6 month settings.

It seems I'm just bouncing more sales now and still getting a fair share of NPB anyway.

I really don't understand the motivation of a buyer who clicks then flicks.
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

@dazzledayz wrote:

I really don't understand the motivation of a buyer who clicks then flicks.

I personally never BIN unless I'm paying immediately, but I've seen/heard a range of different reasons buyers will BIN and not pay.

Some feel like they need to secure an item with the initial intention of paying for it a little later, then find some reason not to, or that they can't (more applicable to a single-quantity listing). Some keep browsing after they buy and find a better deal (some will even do that after they've paid and ask for a cancellation / refund), a few don't seem to understand that buy it now isn't the same as adding to a cart, despite clear indications to the contrary when you go through the BIN process, for some, it's a matter of their eyes being bigger than their wallet, and there's a special few who know and understand exactly what they're doing when they BIN and just think it's a bit of a lark, and/or largely inconsequential. 

My blocks are the same as dave's, as it's primarily the recent, serial offenders I'm trying to steer clear of, and I open maybe 3 cases a month on average (some months it's only 1, other months it's 6), and generally find it blocks a dozen or two buyers due to strikes per 60 days (I average a little over 200 otherwise successful transactions a month, if that helps put those figures in perspective). 

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

If I'm shopping around, I'll either have a heap of tabs open with the different items, or I'll add the items to my watch list, then go back when I'm done and compare them. Then I decide which one I want to buy, hit the BIN, pay for it, then delete the rest from my watch list.

I guess not everyone has common sense LOL!!!

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I BIN all the time without paying immediately.

I usually check out the sellers payment terms - though from time to time I have got a bit slack at doing this.

I regularly pay for my purchases twice a week in batches - It just works for me as a buyer to do it this way. 

Before paying if there has been a few days elapse since my purchase I usually check out if the seller has any new listings that I might be interested in if they offer combined post discounts.

If a seller wants immediate payment for a BIN then they need to state that in a listing.

I find it irritating if a seller bombards me with requests for payment before the payment term they outline in their listing has elapsed and I simply never buy from them again.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply