New Phishing Attempt

We are currently being bombarded (we got about 6 of them overnight) by a swathe of emails purporting to be from PayPal.

Coming from: cashback@cash-paypal.com

Message says we have sent a payment of $61.30 to some organisation we certainly have not. There is no such payment showing in our PayPal account.

The text invites you to follow a link if you have issues with the payment.

The link text is underlined in BLUE so looks like a genuine PayPal link. But when you mouse over the link it shows something entirely different. Something like Royal Bilgic Hotel. Which is a real hotel somewhere in Turkey.

Anyway I have FWD'ed it on to spoof@paypal.com.au. They can deal with it.

Just thought others should be aware of this one.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

New Phishing Attempt

I have had 3 of them in the last few days. I sent mine to spoof addy as well.
Mine were for an aussie business and australian school photos.

Amalgamated holdings Limited $61.30

Can't see where the link goes as I'm on the phone and don't want to click on it.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

New Phishing Attempt

Well done Clarrie & Harley.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

New Phishing Attempt

I got it too (well I got 3 of them overnight) - thanks for posting this message so I knew it was bogus. Such a relief.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

New Phishing Attempt

I just checked my email and I got this too.  I clicked on the link and logged into my paypal through the link, thinking that maybe my husband bought something.  But then I looked up what Amalgamated Holdings Limited was, and realized it has to be a scam of some sort.  It doesn't show as a pending transaction on my paypal, so I'm really confused.  Mine was also for the same amount.  

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

New Phishing Attempt

You need to log on to Paypal (if it hasn't already been hacked and you're still able to) and change your password immediately. If you can't log on because the hacker has already changed your password, ring them instead, and don't waste any time about it.

For future reference, you should NEVER click on embedded links in emails, no matter how secure you think they may be.
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

New Phishing Attempt

Got an email back from PayPal this afternoon saying they have looked into it and its indeed a real phishing attempt and do not click on any links in the message.

They say its under investigation.

So if you have already clicked on any link please PLEASE get in touch with PayPal immediately and have them secure your account for you. It could have already been compromised.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

New Phishing Attempt

I would suggest you look at your email security settings. I can't remember the last phishing email I got, but I use gmail with medium security. Seems to work.

It could have already been compromised.

Almost no doubt, and a change of password, and a virus/malware check are now due.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

New Phishing Attempt

My wife nearly got ripped of by this mob of idiots we had to change PayPal password cancel credit cards and all the **bleep** my pc deleted the mail but her phone did not notice at as **bleep** and she thought I brought something so she clicked on the link and gave personal info to them **bleep** them the rest is history
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

New Phishing Attempt

You also need to be aware that your Email address is now "live" as far as scammers are concerned.

The Email address would have been passed on to other scammers.

You could/will receive numerous attempts to try and get you to pass on sensitive details.

As mentioned,you are not only at risk of having your financial details,PP account details,etc taken but you are

also at risk of having malware  downloaded on to your computer via the live link ,(eg:

Viruses,Trojans,Worms,Keyloggers,etc).

Which in turn would "steal" that sensitive information.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply