New defect system wrong numbers....

lolobgo
Community Member

hi guys, 

i saw there was an old message about this, but nothing lately. 

According to the wonderful new defect system i have 4 items as defects as not a described,

but when i run the report, i only get 2 items...

one the guy was unhappy with the item, but gave me glowing feedback (what the?)

and the other one of those was a cancelled transaction, where the buyer didn't even pay, so i put an buyer hasn't paid claim and closed it, even when the buyer didn't pay.... 

so i know and can see them, but what about the other 2? 

is the new system still wrong or am i missing something? 

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

I think the new defect system is still very defective. I got a new defect yesterday for a neutral (for a cancelled transaction), yet if I try to run a report, it tells me I don't have any new defects in the current period. I've never been able to run a report.....even when I got my first defect way back when.

I think eBay is now able to remove defects, so for the non paying one, I'd give them a ring and ask them to remove it. It might take a few calls, but they should remove it. Their policies state that a non payment means no transaction took place, therefore any feedback or defects relating to that non transaction are removed.

If you don't have any luck with the first call, ring back and ask to speak to a surperivisor. I would also be inclined to have the page open where they talk about reasons for feedback/defect removal so you can quote it to them.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

ok, 

I'll give it a go! 

Thanks for your help! 

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

If you read the U.S boards about the defect system you will see what will probably hit us next.

If you read the CEO announcement of eBay's new direction,it states that they are no longer a garage sale & 70% of listed items are new.

eBay is trying to encourage bid name companies to the site as the want to be Amazon.Yep talk about putting lipstick on a pigSmiley LOL

it's a pig with a real perty mouth & banjo music is all.

eBay don't want second hand goods & the new defect system is in place to defect sellers into suspended accounts & take their selling business off to other sites.Probably why they bought Gumtree,to take all the second hand goods sellers,garage sale style.

In the U.S,any message from a buyer to seller has 6 possible titles to tick,but 5 of them will auto open a case & get you a defect.If a buyer asks about an item & ticks the wrong box,the seller has to be on the phone to eBay for an hour to remove a defect that shouldn't have happened.eBay is aware that it is a huge problem yet have stated that it will not be changed.They want us to have defects & it was designed to do exactly that.

My defect rate changes daily between 1.43% & 1.86%,i try not to care about that anymore as all struggle seems to be fultile.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

I've never even looked at the us boards.... but just did.... 

so they are going to be restricting our accounts if we don't meet the standards, and get rid of us "garage sale" people. 

I've always loved that about ebay, Getting things that are different/second hand.... it's terribly sad... i'd love to know what % of their profits are from us little guys.... 

don't they realise that without the sellers there are no buyers, and no buyers mean no money for them? 

If i wanted to buy stuff from dick smith and the good guys and officeworks and the like i go either to their shops or their websites directly?

this sucks.... 

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

From what I've read there,selling accounts are restricted or suspended altogether from the defective defect system.

I sell second hand & have noticed that my pre May 90-95% sell rate has dropped to 50% or less,watch rate has also dropped to a handfull of views on same/similar items.My thoughts on that is that eBay are messing with item visibility.

Bottom line for me is that if they want to be rid of me as a seller then they will also be rid of me as a buyer.I don't think people should take it personally,big business is a sociopathic machine.I do however think it's a ridiculous move after the hacking incident to further alienate the people.As you said,sellers are also buyers & since i wont be making any $ here i wont be feeding the beast that bit my hand off after i fed it before.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

The defect report system is only updated once per week even though defects appear immediately. I had the same issue a few weeks ago. I kept running report after report for two days and nothing. A few days later, I suddenly felt in the mood to try it out again, and hey presto, I suddenly knew which transaction copped a defect (and which ignorant/unscrupulous buyer to block).

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

I know which one my neutral was for. A buyer bought and paid and when I was packing everything ready for postage, his item fell onto the slate floor and broke (along with my favourite coffee mug!!). I nearly felt sick. I immediately sent him a message telling him what had happened, immediately issued a full refund and sent a cancellation request using the 'other' option.

He sent me a reply thanking me for my honesty and willingly accepted the cancellation. As my PayPal had just been cleaned out minutes earlier by DH making a purchase, I had to send a payment as opposed to a straight forward refund. I sent him a bit extra and explained that the extra was to cover any fees he may incur from receiving the payment.

He asked me what he should do about feedback (he's a lowish feedback buyer) and I said he didn't need to leave any, but I would totally understand if he wanted to leave me bad feedback. He said he wouldn't leave me bad feedback as I'd been upfront and honest.

You can imagine my surprise when yesterday, 4 weeks post cancellation, a neutral turned up! I think as a newish member, he probably didn't realise that a neutral was nearly as bad as a negative. Still, I can't complain.....

The only reason I tried to download a report was, to see what it actually looked like!!!

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

I hope that's not it, why don't the buyers ask questions or get in touch with us if they are unhappy... 

My account was always showing up as 3 defects, even though i only had the 2, i'm calling ebay about it tomorrow  (feeling a little to angry tonight)

At least we can (try to) block bad buyers.... 

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

wow, 

One of my "missing" defects just showed up. And I'm ANGRY AS HELL OVER it. 

It was a pick up item, some old second hand skateboards for a whole $20, the guy took 3 weeks to come and collect it, giving us the run around and now has given me a 3,2 or 1 star on item not as decribed. 

for pick up items you would think they would tell you they are not happy and not pay for it!  

*smacks head* Sometimes this is just not worth it! 

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply