New seller performance standards - Defects

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can clarify the defect rating due to roll out tomorrow.

Let's say a buyer purchases an item by mistake and the seller initiates the cancel transaction request. Does this still count as a defect? 

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I finally found the whole list given by a CS rep:

The following reasons for a cancelled transaction won't count against your seller performance:

◦Buyer purchased item by mistake or changed mind

◦Buyer is returning item for refund ◦You and buyer disagreed over terms

◦Buyer is unresponsive

◦Buyer's payment hasn't been received or hasn't cleared

◦Buyer requested shipment to an unconfirmed address

◦eBay notified you to cancel

◦Global Shipping Program order

Let us know if you have questions.

Regards, Jacklyn Mae M. eBay Customer Support

I'd be very suprised if others are getting defects for buyer changed mind, they might be accidently selecting the wrong option.

I agree about feedback and UPI case - you repeated exactly what I said.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I asked eBay the same question recently and got back this answer.

We`ll have to wait and see I guess.

Hello Margaret, Thanks for writing about defects on cancelled transactions. I understand the confusion. Margaret, first, please know that transactions prior to May 1, 2014 will not count against your defect. It may be reflected in your dashboard but it will not count when evaluating your performance. Not all cancelled transactions will count against you especially if it's not your fault or it's the buyer requesting for the cancellation. Unfortunately at the moment, it's only sellers who can initiate cancellation of the sale. The following reasons for a cancelled transaction won't count against your seller performance: ◦Buyer purchased item by mistake or changed mind ◦Buyer is returning item for refund ◦You and buyer disagreed over terms ◦Buyer is unresponsive ◦Buyer's payment hasn't been received or hasn't cleared ◦Buyer requested shipment to an unconfirmed address ◦eBay notified you to cancel ◦Global Shipping Program order Let us know if you have questions. Regards, Jacklyn Mae M. eBay Customer Support : CC: Subject:

Appealing a case Sent: 2014-08-06 18:09:49.0 Subject:  I understand that I have received a defect because of a cancelled transaction back in March 2014. I think it was for some cutlery which the purchaser no longer wanted to purchase. I cancelled this because the purchaser no longer wanted to complete the sale and they requested that I instigate a cancellation, which I did. I have done this on a number of occasions and not received a defect. Now in future am I not able to ever instigate a cancellation of a sale without receiving a defect? Is a purchaser able to instigate a cancellation, or would they always need me to start the process? I am confused. Please help. Kind regards Margaret

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Thanks for your quick reply. So in this instance did you have to get ebay to manually remove those defects?

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Well, no, I just received a low DSR which I had to live with. Goodness knows how I got a low DSR for something that was not of my doing...apparently it was listed by someone (not me) as `running out of stock` or `sold to someone else`. Neither of these were correct.

I am very wary of instigating a cancellation now.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

So to clarify, you recieved a low DSR which would have counted as a defect despite Ebay stating in your first post that "the buyer changing their mind or purchasing the item by mistake"  would NOT result  in a defect?

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Read the au phone crazy's thread on defect removal policy & don't count on eBay to stick to any of it or apply it uniformly.

Best you can do if a buyer wants to cancel,since the seller has to initiate that,is to mark it as buyer change of mind otherwise you will get a defect.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

I did, but it was somehow labelled `sold to someone else` or `ran out of stock`. Not by me.

I was able to get the `list` with this news by downloadind a report on that new page they are showing now to do with seller standards.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

If you have a message from the buyer asking you to cancel the transaction you may be able to get the defect removed. Give eBay a call and try. Apparently the eBay CS reps are now able to remove defects if the buyer has contacted you prior to issuing the cancellation request and you used the reason 'buyer changed mind'.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/defect-removal.html

On ebay.com buyers will soon be able to initiate cancellations which should reduce the number of unwarranted cancellation defects.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Yes i got a defect from March for the same reason which comes up out of stock.You can try to ring eBay,better still to request a call back & you may get that removed.Don't hold your breath on that.

This ridiculous policy was placed without thought to details & takes effect retrospectively.Customer service is ill informed about eBay policies,so you ask 5 different reps a question & will get 5 different answers.This is why many sellers will be doing UPI disputes instead of cancelling a transaction,to avoid an unfair defect & annoying the customer.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

And we 'reckon' this ain't 'Flawed'.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply