No protection if you send something via standard delivery without a tracking ID?

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice as I don't sell too frequently on eBay. I recently sold an item and sent it via standard delivery (as stated clearly on my auction details) in a padded envelope. On my auction details, I said that buyers are welcome to contact me if they would like other postage options but I never received any request to use any other postage method. Then the buyer opened a case with eBay and said they never received it. I sent two messages to the buyer and even called the buyer but there has not been any response and the buyer has not added any message to the case. Therefore, I asked eBay to resolve the case and they immediately closed it and rejected my appeal simply because there was no tracking ID provided. I said that since it was a standard delivery, no tracking ID was included in the service. However, eBay said they will always rule in the buyer's favour, even if they are completely unresponsive and have not even confirmed that they still have not received the item, if there is no tracking ID provided. This seems absurd. That would mean that anyone who buys an item without a tracking ID, even if they did not request tracking services, can automatically get their item for free if they open a case and there is nothing a seller can do about it. If anyone could provide assistance, that would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: No protection if you send something via standard delivery without a tracking ID?

Australia Post does have rules for proof of postage.

101 Articles carried by post to be taken to be Australia Postโ€™s property

For the purpose of any legal proceeding or action in relation to an article carried by post or under the control of Australia Post, the article shall be taken to be, while it is being carried by post or under the control of Australia Post, the property of Australia Post.

In Australia, the seller is not legally responsible for delivery, only postage, therefore proof of postage is what is required

Paypal Proof of Shipment

What is proof of shipment?

• The date the item was sent; and
  • An official acceptance by the shipper, such as a postmark or online status. (Status that shows the item was delivered is also acceptable.)

It must also include either:

• The recipientโ€™s delivery address, showing at least the state, city and postcode (or international equivalent); or
  • A receipt from Australia Post showing at least the recipientโ€™s suburb, city or postcode (or international equivalent).

I would suggest writing to the FSO and also lodge a claim with Australia Post.

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

Re: No protection if you send something via standard delivery without a tracking ID?

Thank you! I will look into that.

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

lucasmht wrote:

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice as I don't sell too frequently on eBay. I recently sold an item and sent it via standard delivery (as stated clearly on my auction details) in a padded envelope. On my auction details, I said that buyers are welcome to contact me if they would like other postage options but I never received any request to use any other postage method. Then the buyer opened a case with eBay and said they never received it. I sent two messages to the buyer and even called the buyer but there has not been any response and the buyer has not added any message to the case. Therefore, I asked eBay to resolve the case and they immediately closed it and rejected my appeal simply because there was no tracking ID provided. I said that since it was a standard delivery, no tracking ID was included in the service. However, eBay said they will always rule in the buyer's favour, even if they are completely unresponsive and have not even confirmed that they still have not received the item, if there is no tracking ID provided. This seems absurd. That would mean that anyone who buys an item without a tracking ID, even if they did not request tracking services, can automatically get their item for free if they open a case and there is nothing a seller can do about it. If anyone could provide assistance, that would be much appreciated. Thank you.

It's not like the old days. If you are not selling very often that's the first thing to realise.

The buyer does not have to opt into any higher postage offers or insurance, tracked postage is supposed to be what is provided as a matter of course.

You, the seller, can provide standard untracked postage but you need to understand this is at your own risk. If you can't prove the item arrived, the buyer will automatically win any case.

So have a think about this: Why would any buyer opt to pay more?

A decade back, if an item was sent without tracking and didn't arrive (or if the seller just didn't send it) it was just too bad. Buyer lost their money. I think this is what ebay is trying to stamp out by giving buyers more peace of mind.

So by listing standard postage in your ad, you are behind the times. But more than that, you are playing into the hands of any dishonest buyers. If they see your ad, they know beforehand they will be able to make a claim & you won't have a leg to stand on.

So you have a decision.

Either start including tracked postage-bump your item costs up.

Leave as is and expect that every now and again you'll have someone scam you. You'll need to bump your prices up a little to cover this shoplifting.

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

Just post the remaining items that you're selling with tracking otherwise you will find yourself in a spot of bother.

MBG = scamming buyers!

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

How can OP do what you are suggesting when OP doesn't have anything as proof of posting?

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I recently sold an item and sent it via standard delivery (as stated clearly on my auction details) in a padded envelope.

That won't fit AP's sizing for letters.   A video game in a padded bag is more than 20mm thick.

https://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/sending-in-australia/domestic-letters/regular-letters-cards

Sent as a parcel, it would've had tracking.

Bet you posted it in a roadside red box too.

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

Yes, thanks, it's been a while since I have been selling regularly so it definitely seems to have changed. I will just add tracking options or sell elsewhere. Regarding the padded envelope, it was Australia Post who recommended it actually and it was done over the counter.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

I send very few things without tracking but even with tracking you always have to factor in the cost of replacement or refund for a number of reasons which is why I build a few cents into every item price to cover the cost when things go wrong. Nobody can know for sure if a buyer is telling the truth or not when they say an item hasn't arrived and I would rather refund half a couple of buyers who were untruthful than leave one buyer who indeed received nothing feeling really piddled off.

With a no tracking item I of course ask the buyer to wait a few more days and will tell them that if it has not turned up by XX/yy I will refund them and open an investigation with Aus Post.

Sometimes that has the parcel mysteriously turning up, if it doesn't I just refund and move on.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

I post about 40% of my items by letter. So about 250 per year. I have had two INRs in 8 years. Certainly few enough to self-insure. In my category, I can't really set my prices, so I am not going to sell for bugga-all just to protect myself from a possible shoplifter.

That horses for courses thing again, presumably.

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply