Nooo! my item retails $199 sold for only $0.99!

mime225
Community Member

omg I auctioned my PocketWizard and it ended up selling for only $0.99! New it retails for just under $200. Is there anything I can do or do I have to send over the item for less then a dollar?

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Thanks tippy toes. I'll get in touch with the buyer and see if I can negotiate a deal. Kudos guys
Message 11 of 43
Latest reply

I agree that you should negotiate with your buyer.     Even if he/she does not agree to cancel, or wants to buy at another price, remember that ebay can't actually make you go through with the sale.    You have made a  mistake, yes, but the worst that will happen is that the buyer can give you a negative.     Hopefully this won't happen, but even so,  you will still  have the item.

I know that some posters will say that you should honour the sale, but everyone makes mistakes.   From now on, listing at 99c it no longer a good idea - list  your items at the price you want to sell it at.

Message 12 of 43
Latest reply

No reason to delete your ebay account. At least you made your mistake early in your selling career so future buyers will see it happened when you were inexperienced if you do get a neg.  If you don't want to sell with a neg on your account then open another accountand use that to sell on and keep this one for buying.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 13 of 43
Latest reply

The bottom line is nope, you don't have to sell for 99c and personally, I wouldn't.

I'd do as the others suggest and tell the buyer that you made a mistake & I would apologise but I would be clear that I wasn't going ahead with the sale.

You don't owe it to anyone to sell at a huge loss.

I'd be interested hearing how you get on if you offer it to them at eg $100 or whatever, as has been suggested.

I guess it will depend on the buyer. A lot will bid simply because it is cheap (or so I imagine) and won't be too rapt if offered it back at what they may see as an inflated price.

They may be close to $200 new but if yours is not brand new, then in ebayland, buyers might be thinking eg $40, not $100.

If you want a higher price you'd better start higher next time. You may not get a lot of mad bidding but then again, you'll only need one.

Message 14 of 43
Latest reply

I had a leather bag which was $250 in the shops which sold for...wait for it...87c. I sent the item and the buyer was happy. Sometimes you list an item with a BIN price someone starts it off and then it sells for more than the original bin price. Do you refund the buy? No you gladly accept it. This is not an everyday occurrence sometime you get lucky as a buyer or a seller, this is one of the good things about ebay. I think it would be mean and against the spirit of ebay to not sell because you are not happy with the price. Can you legally not sell? Of course, but it's more of a moral question. How would you like to be treated? In the end you need to make whatever decision that you are happy to live with.

Message 15 of 43
Latest reply

there have been a few posts here by sellers who dont fully understand the auction system and that if you start an auction at 99cents and you only get one bid it sells for 99cents.

some say tough luck ur a loser, others say if its a genuine error caused by lack of experience perhaps its not a hanging offence to cancel the sale. just dont do it again, not unlike buyers retracting bids. plenty of novice buyers have put in a bid of $200 when they ment $20 ect.

IMO the OP should get a second chance on this one. and learn to never start an auction for less than they will accept as full payment.

Message 16 of 43
Latest reply

Really David a second chance bull turd,Op new exactly what they were doing when listing for 99c so OP needs to send the item.

Op stated that the item in the past had sold at a good price,OP tried their luck one too many and it back fired.

I always honoured my sales even when I lost out big time,it's the chance you take as a seller and if it doesn't pan out well tuff cheddar.

But as everyone knows that you can't be forced to sell at a low price so be prepared for a neg.

Different if OP made a newbie mistake but they didn't.

Sorry OP but this is MHO.

Message 17 of 43
Latest reply

You sold it at that price, send it,   if the auction got above the $200 would you say oh dear I have overcharged you here only pay $200

Message 18 of 43
Latest reply

didya and sugar,

Well that is way harsh.

While I see your point, I don't agree, there is one helll of a difference between 0.99 cents and the probable $100 the seller should get for the item.

OP, learning curve, follow the advice of the earlier responders, they have been in the game a very long time.

If you get a neg, so what, I wouldn't lose over $100 for green dot!

Edited to say: Well done, the neg you have got was not worth losing that amount over and any one who reads it will see the item and obvious value and realise exactly what happenned.

Message 19 of 43
Latest reply

People will see that what happened was the seller never sent the item that they sold.

It don't matter if it sold for 99c because OP listed it at 99c start price and should have sent it.

The neg will stay.

No one cares what it's really worth and if you don't want to end up with 99c for an item worth $200 then don't list it.

I see it as an unfortunate situation on the sellers behalf but still should have honoured the sale.

Personally soon as I see that neg I wouldn't bother buying/bidding with a seller if they won't honour a sale.

And I've been in the game alot longer than you think lol Woman Tongue 

Message 20 of 43
Latest reply