Nooo! my item retails $199 sold for only $0.99!

mime225
Community Member

omg I auctioned my PocketWizard and it ended up selling for only $0.99! New it retails for just under $200. Is there anything I can do or do I have to send over the item for less then a dollar?

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

yeah, lets stomp on any silly buggas who get it wrong. no sympathy here hey!

so you make a loss, haha, its just a big laugh really.

your loss is the lucky buyers win isnt it, hey maybe the buyer is smarter than you and will relist it at $50 and make $49 profit! cool.

well mate, lets hope you make a mistake someday then you can think back to your response to this thread and say, well its just a laugh really.

me, id rather live in a world where i know people learning do wrong things but dont get screwed because of it.

Message 21 of 43
Latest reply

What a goose lol

Message 22 of 43
Latest reply

@didawaywith wrote:

What a goose lol

come on, i know you can do better than that.

after all, you much more experienced than we think.

Message 23 of 43
Latest reply

My money is on that 'buyer' wanting to re-sell

16 fb and no other bidding activity for the last 30 days

Thought they had a bargain

I wouldn't have sent it either.............but then I wouldn't have started at 99c

Message 24 of 43
Latest reply

People will see that what happened was the seller never sent the item that they sold.

It don't matter if it sold for 99c because OP listed it at 99c start price and should have sent it.

The neg will stay.

No one cares what it's really worth and if you don't want to end up with 99c for an item worth $200 then don't list it.

I see it as an unfortunate situation on the sellers behalf but still should have honoured the sale.

Personally soon as I see that neg I wouldn't bother buying/bidding with a seller if they won't honour a sale.

--------------------

I suppose every buyer is different.

I'm mainly a buyer, have been on ebay for many years & if I saw that neg yes, I would take note of it but it would not stop me buying from the seller if they had something I wanted.

Mind you, if they were listing a good item again at 99c I would be mightily annoyed as I expect people to learn from their mistakes.

But if I saw that neg with the selling price of 99c, I wouldn't even necessarily bother to click on the link or try to work out the probable price of the item as it would be obvious to me that whatever it was, 99c wasn't enough. Let's face it, it wouldn't be for most things, would it.

It was worth cancelling the sale, they come out way ahead, especially if that buyer was just after getting it cheaply to resell.

What they will need to do though, to counterbalance that neg, is to start their auctions at a more realistic price, one where bidders are confident that even if it is a good price, it isn't an unrealistic price & so the seller is likely to honour it.

Message 25 of 43
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

People will see that what happened was the seller never sent the item that they sold.

It don't matter if it sold for 99c because OP listed it at 99c start price and should have sent it.

The neg will stay.

No one cares what it's really worth and if you don't want to end up with 99c for an item worth $200 then don't list it.

I see it as an unfortunate situation on the sellers behalf but still should have honoured the sale.

Personally soon as I see that neg I wouldn't bother buying/bidding with a seller if they won't honour a sale.

--------------------

I suppose every buyer is different.

I'm mainly a buyer, have been on ebay for many years & if I saw that neg yes, I would take note of it but it would not stop me buying from the seller if they had something I wanted.

Mind you, if they were listing a good item again at 99c I would be mightily annoyed as I expect people to learn from their mistakes.

But if I saw that neg with the selling price of 99c, I wouldn't even necessarily bother to click on the link or try to work out the probable price of the item as it would be obvious to me that whatever it was, 99c wasn't enough. Let's face it, it wouldn't be for most things, would it.

It was worth cancelling the sale, they come out way ahead, especially if that buyer was just after getting it cheaply to resell.

What they will need to do though, to counterbalance that neg, is to start their auctions at a more realistic price, one where bidders are confident that even if it is a good price, it isn't an unrealistic price & so the seller is likely to honour it.

I think the point is that the OP has started other auctions at 99c and has gotten more than they thought the item was worth. A reason why auctions can work.

This particular auction realised the starting price, way under what the OP thought it to be worth. Rather than amortise their sales to include the unexpected profits from previous auctions, OP decided to spit the dummy and claim to be a newbie. Whcih they aren't.

I'm with didawaywith.

Message 26 of 43
Latest reply

Yup - sold 6 items in 12 months..........a REALLY experienced seller.

No matter the opinions, I really hope someone would understand my naievity if it were such an OBVIOUS mistake, but then, I have empathy for others, many don't evidently.

Message 27 of 43
Latest reply

I certainly don't. Mind you, I have feedback for 12 sales in the last 12 months. On this account. So I am vastly more experienced.

They took the windfalls then arc up when they have a loss.

Swings, roundabouts and amortisation.

Message 28 of 43
Latest reply

Like I said, some have empathy, some don't. Meh

I like the fact that I can be understanding and forgiving of someone who makes a mistake, but I guess, those who are perfect find that hard to accept.

We all had to start somewhere on eBay, and I shudder sometimes when I read the questions here and in the AC, of course you need to research and find the best (safest) way to sell (buy) whatever, but when eBay advises to start your aution at 0.99 cents who is to balme.....really?

Anyway, just my opinion, and really can't be bothered haggling over carp that is over and done with.

Have a good night

Message 29 of 43
Latest reply

@shepherdsrule wrote:

Like I said, some have empathy, some don't. Meh

I like the fact that I can be understanding and forgiving of someone who makes a mistake, but I guess, those who are perfect find that hard to accept.

We all had to start somewhere on eBay, and I shudder sometimes when I read the questions here and in the AC, of course you need to research and find the best (safest) way to sell (buy) whatever, but when eBay advises to start your aution at 0.99 cents who is to balme.....really?

Anyway, just my opinion, and really can't be bothered haggling over carp that is over and done with.

Have a good night

Anyway, when I first started selling on eBay 7 years ago, I listed $20 books at 99c auction. And sold at 99c, occasionally $1.04. What happened? I sent the books, and took the losses. I didn't decide that I wasn't going to sell them because my business model didn't work. After all, it was MY business model, no matter how erroneous. I took the losses and worked out that 99c auctions were for mug sellers.

So, you are correct, I have no empathy for the OP. If they had decided to wear the loss, I would have, but they haven't and won't, so my sympathy level is 0/100

Message 30 of 43
Latest reply