Number One Reason For Cancelling A Bid?

I don't know about the rest of you but everytime a member cancels a bid it is ALWAYS entered incorect amount, yet they never bid again! Is this just an easy way of getting out of paying if they win? what do you think?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

There are a very limited number of reasons to cancel a bid so most buyers just lie.

My guess would be that they have found the same item cheaper elsewhere and don't want to risk winning the auction.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

yes it seems that its made simple to just bid then cancel then bid then cancel.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

lolobgo
Community Member

I've had people enter wrong amounts and retract the bid, then bid again and win the auction.... although i think that mine was pretty geniune.... it sort of depends on how much they bid for the item....

I was selling a car part but it started at about 40 or 50 dollars... 

But the bidder (and eventually the buyer) bid 2 amounts and retracted both bids.... first bid was for $4050... second bid they put on was $8050.... in about 2 minutes of each other! 

The next day they retracted both bids and put what i'm guessing was a "normal" amount on it... 

I had to laugh over it... 

I nearly wanted to message them and tell them not to surf the net while drunk.... 

Other bidders though, do "test the water".... 

and some i think just have nothing better to do than make other people pay more than they should as they themselves cannot afford the item and are peeved over it.... 

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

I don't care what reason, spurious or not, the bidder uses to cancel I an just glad they have done so before the end of the auction. Much better than having an unpaid item.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

That might be fine for you, the seller, but it is infuriating for a buyer who is genuine and is outbid a few times by another person, only to have that other person retract a bid days later when the other bidder has walked away and left them in the lead and it is obvious they are not going to counter bid.

Why should the second higherst bidder then be held accountable, so long after the event? That's not fair. The price too, has soemtimes been artifically inflated by a non genuine bidder.

If you are outbid & that higher bid stays in place for over an hour, you should have the right to go elsewhere and look at other auctions, you shouldn't have to stick around for days watching the other auction, on the off chance.

I would be okay for ebay to allow retratcions at any time (which is exactly what they do, as long as it isn't in the final 12 hours) if they would also put something in place so that if there is no further bidding on the item after that, then the person who was second highest before the retraction is offered second chance, not upheld as winner.

Personally, I think it is too easy for people to retract bids, maybe if all they could do  was change the amount- enter a new bid amount that was higher than the winning bid, then it might make some pause before bidding. If they had to go through a rigmarole of asking a seller to issue a cancellation or else risk a strike, maybe they would put a hold on their trigger finger.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

That might be fine for you, the seller, but it is infuriating for a buyer who is genuine and is outbid a few times by another person, only to have that other person retract a bid days later when the other bidder has walked away and left them in the lead and it is obvious they are not going to counter bid.

Not sure what your problem is, if a bidder retracts and your bid becomes the highest it is at a price you were happy to pay. Ebay clearly tell you when you bid that even if you are outbid you could still end up as being the winning bidder. If you choose to walk away and not keep an eye on what is happening that is hardly anyone's fault but your own

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

I guess I see that as a fault on ebay, not one of the favourable features.

I don't have a problem with someone retracting a bid if they make a genuine mistake ie $500 instead of $5.00, but in that case, I would expect them to re-bid with the correct amount, and ebay in fact says that is what is expected.

But I do have a problem with people being allowed to withdraw a bid days after it is made. They have the right to refuse to pay or to go ahead, but I think they should then deserve a strike.

I also have a problem with people who bid and counter bid one other person, then withdraw their last bid, exposing the other person's top bid. You may say that is the amount a person was happy to pay but no, not if it is a shilling bid and that can be suspected but harder to prove.

I see it this way-if a person withdraws their winning bid, especially days later, what makes you think that any of their earlier bids were valid or would be honored by them? And why should someone else's counter bids be held valid if the other person's final bid has been accepted as invalid?

Yes, I do have a problem with it, as a buyer.

And yes, if I am outbid and stay outbid for days, I should be free to move on and buy elsewhere, I should not have to wait till the end of the auction.

I can't think of any scenarios where if outbid at a normal auction, I would be deemed the winner later on. I might be approached later to see if I was still interested, but usually once you are outbid, that is it.

I suppose all this is only my opinion, it obviously isn't how some others see it but it is a pet peeve of mine, I have had it happen to me and didn't appreciate it. If I had to pin it down, I would say it infuriates me that ebay says a person claiming incorrect amount is supposed to rebid but does not enforce that, the bad bidder gets off scot free, while the genuine person behind them risks getting a strike. It's not fair.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

And yes, if I am outbid and stay outbid for days, I should be free to move on and buy elsewhere, I should not have to wait till the end of the auction.

When you open an ebay account you tick a box to say you have read and will abide by their policies, terms and conditions. Once you have ticked that box you have accepted that if a bid is removed then any lower bid made by you is valid until the auction ends so the answer is that you have agreed that you will not move on and buy elsewhere unless you don't mind having more than one of an item.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

When you open an ebay account you tick a box to say you have read and will abide by their policies, terms and conditions. Once you have ticked that box you have accepted that if a bid is removed then any lower bid made by you is valid until the auction ends so the answer is that you have agreed that you will not move on and buy elsewhere unless you don't mind having more than one of an item.

You miss the point the poster is making entirely ... as usual

This is a trading discussion board, not the eBay fan club or eBay apologist forum.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply