O/S and local address - weird

Had a buyer purchase recently and was just wondering where Ebay is picking up their mailing details from.

On the confirmation email I got from Ebay, it lists a US address.

On Paypal, it has an AUS address, so of course that is where I send the item.

However, when I go into the sales transaction, it also lists the AUS address.

Wonder where it picked up the US address from then?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

The item sold notification doesn't give you the buyer's postage address but rather their registered address (buyers have one primary address which is often the same as the postage address but not always, and can have several postage addresses saved).

Once they go through check out, the order details on eBay update to the selected postage address.
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

It doesn't always give the registered address, in my experience it picks up the last address used until I go through checkout and then it either stays the same or changes if I opt for another address.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

It doesn't always give the registered address, 

I'm just speaking in reference to the item sold notification the seller receives which AFAIK was always the registered address, though admittedly I wouldn't know whether my sellers receive my last used postage address on those, nor whether it shows the last used address from my buyers (I receive the emails just to act as alerts that I've had a sale, but always delete without opening). 

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

I just moved.

My Paypal was updated.

My eBay address, was updated, and made the primary address.

But...I did not delete the former address from eBay.

My first purchase, went to my old address...and yes, I had made the new one the one to send stuff to (I checked and double-checked before ordering anything).

An eBay glitch. The next one went to the new address (bought about 24 hours later, nothing changed by me).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

You can only have one registered address, though. 

You can have several postage addresses, making one the primary (i.e. default) address. 

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Digi - the Ebay confirmation gives the buyers postal address - it says so on the email.

Whilst Ebayers are supposed to send to the PP address, when a buyer pays by DD, one can understand how things can go awry.

If my buyer had paid by DD, I would probably be sending this item to the US right now, not NSW.

That's where the confusion lies - the email says one thing, the transaction record says another thing and the only way to actually know for sure is to check in PP.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Yes.

That's why I didn't delete the old one.

The thing is though eBay took 24 hours to update it in the system. After I had made the proper changes.

Things are meant to be sent to the Paypal address...was my understanding, too.

Not just on eBay but any purchase.

Looks like that seller didn't...neither do a few major name stores. They post to the address you have given them, not the Paypal one. Does that leave them without seller protection?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Just to clarify, I knew it was eBay that persisted with the old address as primary/postal, not Paypal, as I'd bought something within a couple of minutes of changing Paypal's address from a non-eBay store. That was posted fine.

Guess what I am saying is the U.S. address in the opening post may have recently been changed and not completely overidden yet.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Hi Amber, it's possible that the US address was recently changed - however that's the information that Ebay presented to me in the confirmation email after the sale. There are so many ways for a seller to get tripped up, unfortunately.

I always contact the buyer and let them know that I have noticed a discrepancy and that I will post to the PP address as required by Ebay unless I hear from them otherwise, so I have been fine with doing that as they usually respond and confirm one way or another. In this case the buyer didn't respond, so I sent to the PP address and added tracking to be on the safe side!

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply