OFFICEWORKS HAS CHEAPER PRICES ON DELIVERY, WHATS ANYONES EXPERIENCE?

The pros from what i can see is:

-cheaper parcel prices from $7 if using a label on your item or $7.50 if using prepaid satchel.

compared to australia post which asks $8.50.

alot more reasonable pricing.

-free tracking

-free signature on delivery optional

-generouse satchel sizes, good for sending books that are thicker than the 2cm letter size for auspost but you think $8.50 is too much fom auspost.

cons

-if sending smaller items i find its cheaper to use padded enveloped and the auspost letters pricing like 2, 3 or 5 stamps for items like dvds etc that are smaller than 2cm thick

-wont post to PO boxes, postal lockers and remote islands. (have to leave that info in ebay listing, maybe offer other option at extra cost)

- if you choose signature on delivery and they are not home they will leave a note saying to collect at local officeworks or courier depot. if i select no signature needed then parcel will be left at door unattended.

obsviosly you will need to leave this info in ebay listing asking if they want signature on delivery or not and the pros and cons of doing that and whether they are close to officeworks.

i think anything that will see australia post start lowering prices is good, they are way over priced and are taking advantage of the market, didnt the head of australia post get like a salary of $5.6 million, 10 times more than the pm?? after putting stamps up 30c in one go the highest rise ever?!?!?! great work?!?! disgusting.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Have you taken into account that many buyers will not buy from sellers who use couriers?

If you are going to use a courier you need to make it very plain in your listings or your feedback could suffer.

It is not just about the cost of delivery but couriers can be very inconvenient for some buyers.

If you want to use couriers there are many who have a better reputation than Officeworks, who use Fastway which is arguably the most hated courier around today.   You could investigate some others before making your decision.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Very few of the items I send would be cheaper with Officeworks, mainly just things between 500g and 2 kilos. Unless I had a few of those to send at once to buyers who do not have PO boxes it would not be worth my time and petrol to take them to Officeworks to perhaps save a dollar.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Another disadvantage for some people would be that you have to drop it off at an Officeworks store.  They are fewer of those than Australia Post offices. 

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@phantomchris1984 wrote:

The pros from what i can see is:

-cheaper parcel prices from $7 if using a label on your item or $7.50 if using prepaid satchel.

compared to australia post which asks $8.50.

alot more reasonable pricing.

-free tracking

$8.50 is kind of the maximum pricing from Aus Post, though, with lower prices available through eBay labelling, Business 250 discounts, or bulk satchel purchases (excluding eParcel and other types of contracts as they're often a little more out of reach for the average seller).

I'm not saying these cancel out the pros of the Officeworks service, just that price-wise, you can get the same parcel weights etc for a similar price from AP, so it would largely come down to other aspects of the services as to whether one is more suitable for a seller than the other. 

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

so it would largely come down to other aspects of the services as to whether one is more suitable for a seller than the other. 

I think that it should be a question of what is more suitable for a buyer.

As already stated, many buyers will not buy from a seller who uses a courier.   I personally do so only if there is absolutely no alternative and no other seller has the item.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I think that it should be a question of what is more suitable for a buyer.

I don't.

The seller chooses what is most appropriate for their business, full stop. When they make that choice, if they are smart, they will consider their target market's needs and preferences.

The buyers then get to choose if the service the seller is using is appropriate for them. If not, they can choose to buy elsewhere, and 100% of sellers who chose Australia Post alternatives would be aware of this and made the decision in spite of that. 

(Edited to add: this is obviously assuming the seller informs potential customers up front of the services being used. I know some sellers do not, but my comments above aren't referring to them). 

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I agree.

But I also agree with Lyndal. It doesn't really matter what is convenient for me as a seller if it means that nobody will buy from me.

Once again we encounter the metrocentric view of the country. Not everybody lives in a major metropolis and there is a fair bet that those who don't are disproportionately involved in online buying, given that they are the ones who are less likely to have B&M options. And also you beaut courier options that MIGHT save them a buck, but cost them a motza in time and inconvenience. Not to mention petrol.

Not everybody is home all day to be available for a courier, not everybody is prepared to drive (if they have a car) halfway across town to collect something if they miss the courier.

It is however up to the individual seller. I just hope they don't come whinging to the boards about poor sales if they use the inconvenient to buyers courier route.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I agree with lyndal as well, but I've framed it the way I have because I'm largely trying to make the point that a seller will have to consider all of those things as part of making their choice (in other words, emphasis on their choice). 

Re: "It doesn't really matter what is convenient for me as a seller if it means that nobody will buy from me."

True, but I'm also pointing out that if is the operative word - sometimes the choice really does have to be what's best for the seller.

I'm sure you recall the various threads about postage to Canada being problematic. I continued to send large letters there for several months, mostly without issue, but once the old issues began re-emerging, I finally made the choice to only use tracked postage when sending there. Yes, it's reduced the number of sales I get from Canada, but it's also reduced the amount of time and money it cost me in following up  / refunding delayed or lost packages - it was the best choice to make for me, even if it was not the best choice to make for all the people in Canada who would have bought my items if I continued using large letters. JMHO, the same principle applies to the choice being discussed here. 

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

thanks for the replies guys, interesting perspective. i think i will give it a go for some things. i just cant stand auspost, they have gone downhill last few years, they need strong competition to kick them in the butt so i will give officeworks a go.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply