Only envelopes go missing now...

Well,, on one of my ID's I sell CD's and DVD's, not big earners but good bread and butter sales. These seem to be the only things that go astray. Parcels seem to always get there but not items sent with stamps(no tracking), one in 10 vanish. Dishonest buyers or light-fingered posties or both? One recently filed a claim 2 days after payment and Ebay refunded after 16 calendar days. Annoying.
Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

The vast majority of my items are shipped as large letters without tracking and I have only had one go missing in the last 6 months.  Not a problem from my end - in fact vastly improved over recent years.

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

Can you not factor $3.50 into your price for registered post?

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

3.50x every item shipped would add up to more than the value of the lost items..That is the nature of insurance. Insurance is not worth it except for valuable items where it is a minimal component.

I have posted over 10,000 items..10,000 x 3.5=$35,000. How on earth could i justify that to cover the odd loss.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

well obviously Lane it is not for all but if you are losing one in ten letters then you have a problem and I can almost be certain it's not a PO problem.
Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

You don't need to justify that as you're not the one that pays for the postage the buyer does.

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

I send a lot of letters and I dont have these issues. I used to though. I found that when I switched from hand writing envelopes to printing labels on them almost nothing goes missing now. A label machine costs next to nothing about $100. Worth a look. The issue may not be what you think!

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:

You don't need to justify that as you're not the one that pays for the postage the buyer does.

And if you add $3.50 to the cost you could well price yourself out of the market. The other option is to reduce your profit by $3.50 which could easily see you selling at a loss. I imagine CDs and DVDs are like books - prices tend to be set by what the competition is charging.

One in 10 is high, though. I work on one in a thousand, as that has been my experience.

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

I've found Aust Post to be pretty reliable on the whole.

Just today i received an item sent in a large envelope (no tracking), hand written address with correct street/suburb/postcode but then it listed the wrong state, Qld instead of Vic.

It still got to me within about 3 or 4 days from interstate.

If correctly addressed envelopes are regularly going missing, that sounds suss to me. The occasional one maybe, but never one in ten.

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Slightly off track but..
I've just got my first refund request for large envelope not arriving.  Its a day over the estimated arrival date.

I've said I'm happy to refund if it doesn't arrive, but have asked if they are happy to wait another day or so. Can anyone tell me if I  now have an automatic defect because I didn't refund instantly? 

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply