Open PayPal Case

I have someone who bought 2 of my patterns, not on Ebay, and when I got back from the Post Office from mailing them, I find that they have opened a SNAD, case against me, because they went back and read the listing and saw that a crochet pattern is indeed a crochet pattern.

They have just emailed me, not through the resolution centre, that they want a refund immediately, but I can't refund them, because Paypal has put a hold on the payment.

What to do?

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Open PayPal Case

Hi,

Contact Paypal with your tracking / postal info and they should be able to see that it is a fraudulent cliam as the item has not even been receievd by the buyer yet. You will win the case.

Cheers

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Open PayPal Case

I sell patterns for between $4.50 and $5 with free postage. I send them in a letter, so no tracking. I will refund them. It has only cost me printer ink an envelope and 60 cents, but I am tempted to not refund seeing they have been cheeky enough to not even contact me.

I am pretty sure that they will not win. My items are clearly described as patterns with a warning in bold red, in each listing, that the item is a pattern only and not the finished items.

They are not being malicious, just clueless.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

Open PayPal Case

I would contact PayPal and provide them with copies of the buyer's message(s)  - claims like this should not be entertained, IMO, and the buyer needs to know it is not reasonable to do things like this just because they made a mistake.

Once PayPal understand that the buyer hasn't even received the items, and clearly indicated that they wanted a refund due to change of mind, PayPal will hopefully close the case as she has no buyer protection for change of mind.

If you accept returns, instruct the buyer to return them once they have received them - only then would I issue a refund, personally.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Open PayPal Case

The buyer has now closed the case, because they apparently rang Paypal, because I could not refund them straight away ( I think that they thought that I was fibbing) and they wanted their $10.50 back immediately.

They also sent me an email apologising and saying that they thought that that is how to get in touch with me.There is a contact buyer button on the site I sold it on (handmade Aus), but they obviously didn't see that. I don't think reading is their strong point.

I have refunded them and asked that they send the patterns back. I don't need the patterns back, but I think that there should be some deterrent to not reading listings and prematurely opening cases.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

Open PayPal Case

Glad to hear they've understood that it was not the way to go. 

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

Open PayPal Case

@digital*ghost wrote:

I would contact PayPal and provide them with copies of the buyer's message(s)  - claims like this should not be entertained, IMO, and the buyer needs to know it is not reasonable to do things like this just because they made a mistake.

Once PayPal understand that the buyer hasn't even received the items, and clearly indicated that they wanted a refund due to change of mind, PayPal will hopefully close the case as she has no buyer protection for change of mind.

If you accept returns, instruct the buyer to return them once they have received them - only then would I issue a refund, personally.

plus they lied. they said it was SNAD, and as they hadn't received it they couldn't know that, so now they have gained funds by deception.

It's not Jen's fault that the little voices in their head said her listing told each other that it said something it didn't.and PayPal, did not have "the little voices" in mind when they devised their Buyer Protection. Yes, I realize that for a contract to be formed there has to be a "Meeting of the Minds", but I am pretty sure that it is not those minds that PayPal was thinking of.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

Open PayPal Case

@ajarnjenny wrote:

I have someone who bought 2 of my patterns, not on Ebay, and when I got back from the Post Office from mailing them, I find that they have opened a SNAD, case against me, because they went back and read the listing and saw that a crochet pattern is indeed a crochet pattern.

I understand that this thread is about patterns not bought on eBay, but if you intend to continue to sell these patterns on eBay at any time you should read the updated pictures policy http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/picture.html that came out recently.

I looked at one of your completed listings and there were three pictures of a crocheted item and no picture of a pattern printed on paper.  Under the new policy I think you would struggle to continue to list that way.  I say this because the policy update clearly states that you are allowed to include pitcures that Include large, clear photos of the item for sale and that you are not allowed to Include photos that don't accurately represent the item for sale.  My interpretation of this update applied to your listings would be that you would be in breach as you are showing crocheted items and not printed patterns.  I do not think that titles and descriptions can override the picture requirements.

I think you are going to need to have the pattern as your main picture in future eBay listings.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Open PayPal Case

Mmmmm.............I think that I will do that for future listings. Most of the places I sell the patterns on have a digital download button that the buyer gets on their receipt and I use those same photos for them and hardly ever get this problem.

But Ebay buyers do seem to be a different kettle of fish.

I was not so concerned that they bought the patterns thinking that they were finished items, I would have refunded them straight away, more with them reading the listing after they had bought it and opening a case less than eight hours after they had bought it.

It seems really foolish, to buy the item and read the listing after they had bought it. It was not an auction, that was in its last moments.

And I was a little upset that they intimated that I was lying when I said that I could not immediately refund them because Paypal had their payment on hold.

I did not have to refund them at all, but I did.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

Open PayPal Case

@ajarnjenny wrote:

It seems really foolish, to buy the item and read the listing after they had bought it. It was not an auction, that was in its last moments.

many eBayers buy an item based on the first picture they see without really reading the Title and Description.  The first picture they see is the Gallery picture.

From memory, you have had issues with buyers misunderstanding exactly what they will be receiving when they buy from your 'pattern' listings.  I think that no matter what you do with your pictures, titles and descriptions, there will always be buyers who 'misunderstand' your listings.  This is not a criticism, just an opinion.  Good luck with future pattern listings.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply