Outrageous fees

I am over ebay. I cant believe they are charging around 11% for their cut. I am not a business, just a part time seller of stuff I dont need anymore. Taking 11% including a % of the postage is just BS.

Never again.

Off to Gumtree in the future.

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Outrageous fees

Hate to burst your bubble but Gumtree is owned by Ebay too, and they are very restrictive with their so-called free listing, if you make a mistake and need to change your ad, or if you want to bump your ad or lower the price after it's beeen listed a while without a result, you have to pay to edit.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

Outrageous fees

So you are selling stuff you don't want any more thus making 89% of the gross sale price (by your figures) for the minimal time it takes to put up a listing and deal with the administration after it sells. That is not a figure I would be complaining about, do you expect ebay to make nothing out of your sales?

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

Outrageous fees

You can avoid Gumtree's editing fees simply by deleting your listing and posting an amended listing instead. That will also place your listing back at the top, thereby saving even more money in fees. I'm sure they'll eventually close that loophole but at the moment it works just fine.
Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

Outrageous fees

With a name like phorum_junkie you probably need to get out more ofetn and experience the real world! By any auction standards 11% is very high. Charging a cut on postage is ridiculous.

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

Outrageous fees

I sell CDs and records on eBay. I have just noticed that my fees are 14.5% of my final sale price. How can this be?

Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

Outrageous fees

You could always start your own online selling platform and never pay any fees again. Sure, it'll cost a lot to make the platform and you might not ever sell anything through it, but you won't have to pay fees! Score!
amxsuperstores - Australia's three largest motorcycle accessories superstores.
Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

Outrageous fees

FVFs for non-store sellers  (when an item sells) are 9.9%, and are now calculated on the total charged to the buyer including sale price AND postage.  Then if you list more than your 40 free listings each month, you have listing fees as well, plus any extra features you may have used.

Do you also use Ebay postage labels?  If so, your postage costs are added to your Ebay account as well.

It all adds up quickly.

My average fee percentage since the FVF on postage came in in May is around 14-15% each month, and I rarely pay to list, so yours sounds aboout right.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

Outrageous fees

@nussygolf6fh0 wrote:

------------------ experience the real world! By any auction standards 11% is very high. Charging a cut on postage is ridiculous.

I dont know of one auction house in Melboure City or Metro who charge less than 15% sellers (as well as buyers) commission.  Many charge 20-25% commission, and a $10 -$15 Unsold Fee on every unsold item.

can you tell me who charges less than 10% sellers commission? I'd like to use them for a few items

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

Outrageous fees

@putney32 wrote:

@nussygolf6fh0 wrote:

------------------ experience the real world! By any auction standards 11% is very high. Charging a cut on postage is ridiculous.

I dont know of one auction house in Melboure City or Metro who charge less than 15% sellers (as well as buyers) commission.  Many charge 20-25% commission, and a $10 -$15 Unsold Fee on every unsold item.

can you tell me who charges less than 10% sellers commission? I'd like to use them for a few items

just another example of posters who play the woman rather than the ball. Probably because they don't have any facts to back their attitude up. As it is attitude.

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply