PAYPAL Will Hold EBAY SELLERS Responsible For Damage Caused by AUSTRALIA POST

The scenario ... SOLD some merhandise and sent to BUYER via Registered Post, that was very badly damaged in transit.

AUSTRALIA POST badly tore and crushed the box, damaging the contents. This was a very strong box, designed specifically to transport artwork, but by the time AUSTRALIA POST got through with it, it looked like a bulldozer had run over the top of it ...

The contents were REGISTERED, so the buyer was able to lodge a claim against AUSTRALIA POST. She also lodged a 2nd claim against me as a SELLER with Paypal ... for ITEM NOT AS DESCRIBED ... in that it was now damaged ...

If AUSTRALIA POST refuses to honour the claim, then PAYPAL have told the BUYER that they will hold the EBAY SELLER responsible for the damage caused by AUSTRALIA POST.  The BUYER will be fully refunded at THE SELLER'S expense.

This is a nice BUYER who communicates well.  She is just trying to make sure she doesn't lose any money, obviously. But I do think that its unfair that PAYPAL would hold the EBAY SELLER responsible for damage obviously caused by AUSTRALIA POST.

So, the result is that if and when AUSTRALIA POST refuses to honour a claim, for whatever reason, or perhaops the BUYER doesn't even lodge a complaint, then the BUYER can always fall back on the EBAY SELLER through the PAYPAL system.

It will certainly save AUSTRALIA POST and THE BUYER alot of time and money, since why would AUSTRALIA POST bother to honour a claim for damage done by them, when the EBAY SELLER is going to have to pay for it anyway, ...

It also gives the dishonest BUYER a chance to claim twice, since PAYPAL and AUSTRALIA POST are not linked in anyway.

Has this always been the case?  I think the fair solution would be for BUYERS and SELLERS to go halves in the loss that was clearly outside of both their control. Not ideal for either, but I think fair to both ... But PAYPAL obviously doesn't see it that way ...

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

this has always been the case with damaged goods

unless Aust Post accept that the item was packed appropriately and that they 'caused' the damage, the seller is responsible

Aust Post do not offer a 'fragile' service and registration and insurance thru Aust Post are to cover loss in the mail only... not damage, that is always at their discretion.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

this has always been the case with damaged goods

unless Aust Post accept that the item was packed appropriately and that they 'caused' the damage, the seller is responsible

Aust Post do not offer a 'fragile' service and registration and insurance thru Aust Post are to cover loss in the mail only... not damage, that is always at their discretion.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Did you purchase Extra Cover for the item? Or Signature on Delivery?

Signature on Delivery does not include any insurance cover.

Extra Cover can be purchased for $1.50 per $100 even without Sig on Delivery (max $300 value) and provides cover for loss or damage.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

@bigbrickshop wrote:

Did you purchase Extra Cover for the item? Or Signature on Delivery?

Signature on Delivery does not include any insurance cover.

Extra Cover can be purchased for $1.50 per $100 even without Sig on Delivery (max $300 value) and provides cover for loss or damage.

Spot on, crazy not to send breakables or expensive items without some form of insurance. 🙂

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

No, but I think that in this case Australia Post will honour the claim. Something to consider for next time.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

Yes, well ... the entire situation has suprised me ...
Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

After all of your nasty, vindictive comments I can't believe that you have the gall to come on here and ask people to help you - the very sellers whom you've been very busy maligning for the last couple of days.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

Seems like a pretty simple solution to me:

The seller offers the buyer insurance

The buyer has to pay for the insurance or perhaps its provided "free"

If the buyer doesnt take out the insurance they have been offered and damage or less ensues tough. If they do there is an avenue to refund.

Buyer beware!

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Wouldn't the simplest thing be for the seller  to include insurance in their quoted postage and handing cost?.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

According to Aus Post it's your item until the buyer is in receipt of delivery.

Your point about the double whammy is a good valid point.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply