Packing large/heavy items

Seek info on packing heavier items that also need some protection, such as large speakers and electronic equipment.

These are all way beyond jiffy bags, etc.

These items need to be packed properly.

Anyone know of sources of ready-made suitable packaging?

Or, do I need to get custom crates made for such items.

I'm at a loss on how to proceed on this and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

David Berghouse

Taree   N.S.W.

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I'm not sure what kind of box sizes you'd be needing, but EB packaging has a fairly good range of boxes and I've always found them to be reliable sellers (they have an eBay store, not sure if I can link to them here though).

If the items are already boxed, a single mailing box with appropriate padding (eg bubble wrap, or packing peanuts to fill) might be sufficient. I quite like the foam wrap instead for a lot of things, as it can't crush / deflate like bubble wrap and doesn't move around or make the kind of mess peanuts can, plus it's a good shock absorber. 

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Scrunched up newspapers also make good padding around fragile items. I once bought several thousands of dollars worth of china from the US and probably half of it was from one seller who used scrunched up newspaper. NONE of their china was broken or cracked, despite some boxes being pretty damaged on arrival. I had plenty of breakages from other sellers who used other products for padding.

A lot of fragile items can be posted in sturdy cardboard boxes so long as there's lots of padding around the item. If you're looking for large boxes, try some of the large retailers of electrical items, also Big W, etc. Sometimes you have to ask at the right time of day before they crush them, but a smaller outlet might be willing to save you a box if they've got some they're about to unpack. I once got some large boxes with foam peanuts from an electrical retailer when I was moving house, so it never hurts to ask.
Message 3 of 3
Latest reply