Partial refund was paid to seller twice (system errors)

Hi, I offered a partial refund offer to my buyer for $100 parial refund as she is not happy that I did not mention the item I was selling has a dirt mark on it.  The opened case was closed on 20/09 as I made my payment via Paypal.  Three days later on 23/09, seller lodged another case against me saying she has not received the refund and is still currently opened.

I have checked my Paypal and my bank transcation history - my $100 refund was taken by Paypal TWICE and got sent to buyer accound on 20/09.  So the reason behind the buyer send another opened request to ask for more refund is unknown. 

I rang up Paypal yesterday first I was told I need to get to eBay first as they are unwilling to reverse the overpaid refund.   Then I rang eBay billings team, the lady on the phone said she is happy to write email and ask Paypal to reverse the charge as she can see that the system took my refund twice however she needs buyer to confirm $100 is what we agreed on.

I rang to another eBay customer service staff on phone today and got information that is completely opposite to what I previously got told.  She said she can 'see' from my ebay inbox messages history that I include $100 in text when offering the parital refund option. I have to ask Paypal to do reverse charge. (then I was like but is Paypal ask me to contact eBay first!!) She was like "no no Paypal should able to see your partial refund amount is $100)..   Its like they just passing this responsbillity like a ball between themselves and nobody would like to take any action.

Long story short, the person on the phone today sent a message to buyer stating "refund is paid twice incorrectly, please repay back to seller within 72 hours".  I also wrote buyer a message explaining this.  

So now I still have a open case against me about refund not paid as well as I overpaid the refund for extra $100.

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

thank you, digitalghost .. thanks for your advice.

I do find the customer service staff with both ebay and Paypal are not that pleasant,  they really have no idea after knowing my issue, different people giving me different answers.  And for such a big giant like eBay incorporating Paypal in order do business like this, they really have no idea each of their own 'boundaries" are and what are the things individually can do and can't do. 

I will still sell items on ebay, but definitely not for thing that is expensive.  It is such a waste of time.

Message 11 of 37
Latest reply

and is there anything I can lodge a report about the buyers behaviour (if eventually she does not repond and never returns the extra $100)?  She is aware of what is going on (ebay, paypal and myself each of us sent her a message about returning the $100 fund)

It seems a lot of things to go through in other to claim back the $100, but I would go as far as I can because I didn't do anything wrong on my end.

Message 12 of 37
Latest reply

@fanki1983 wrote:

and is there anything I can lodge a report about the buyers behaviour (if eventually she does not repond and never returns the extra $100)?  She is aware of what is going on (ebay, paypal and myself each of us sent her a message about returning the $100 fund)

It seems a lot of things to go through in other to claim back the $100, but I would go as far as I can because I didn't do anything wrong on my end.

You could suugest to the buyer that she is in breach of the law and you may have to consider turning this into a police matter if she does not comply with demands to return the overpaid amount.

I don't know what jurisdiction she is in but all States have similar laws in this area.

The police charge is usually something along the lines of "Theft by Finding" and covers goods or cash improperly obtained.

Perhaps you could contact ACORN (AFP) for further clarification on your customer's position in her relevant state jurisdiction.

Previous suggestions of getting in touch with the FOS are also good in the circumstances as PayPal have erred in allowing a duplicated refund and are responsible under law.

Message 13 of 37
Latest reply

Díd you even bother to read my earlier post? I gather not as you have not mentioned asking for a supervisor or the FSO.  

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 14 of 37
Latest reply

I have read your post, i haven't contacted Paypal as yet for the supervisior as this is long weekend and I am still hoping the buyer gets back to me on Monday. or so.. if I haven't heard back anything around Tues I will start the Ombudsman complaint. 

I have already checked the website its not too hard to fill out the details..

In regards to the police claims, i have done some research in google, it seems the cops don't care about civil disputes with ebay sales and stuff.  I need to find out more informaiton about that one.. i am not trying to scare her but if shes not doing the right thing i will do it!

Message 15 of 37
Latest reply

Local police wouldn't care, but you can report it to ACORN - that's for on-line crime

https://www.acorn.gov.au/

Message 16 of 37
Latest reply

The local police do have their uses.  It has been known for paypal to settle a claim once you can provide a Crime Report number.  There have been several reports on here of members going this route.

Message 17 of 37
Latest reply

How did the buyer "re-open" the case? Once a case is closed it cannot be re-opened, or so I thought, that's what eBay state in their convoluted policies.

Message 18 of 37
Latest reply

because the buyer claimed that she did not receive her money..  3 days after I processed the refund..

Message 19 of 37
Latest reply

OKAY Ombudsman dispute lodged with me providing all the screenshots of the case as well as my Paypal account transcations

ACORN report is lodged against the buyer's dishonest behaviour - her details also provided when I do the reporting.

Very good lesson learnt -  won't sell expensive items on eBay. 

Message 20 of 37
Latest reply